Amruta Subhash is a Marathi film and TV actress. She is also a theatre actor and has won many national and international awards for her acting skills.
Amruta was born on 13 May 1979 (age 40 years; as in 2019), in Mumbai, Maharashtra. Her zodiac sign is Taurus. She did her graduation from S P College in Pune, and she was a student of National School of Drama, New Delhi.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 55 Kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Figure Measurements (approx.): 32-26-34
Family, Caste & Husband
Amruta belongs to a Marathi Hindu family. She is the daughter of Late. Subhash Chandra Dhembre and Jyoti Subhash. Her mother is a famous actress in the Marathi cinema. She has a brother whose name is Jay Subhash.
She got married to her long-time boyfriend, Sandesh Kulkarni. He is a renowned director and writer of the Marathi plays and movies. They first met when Amruta was 17 years old. She had gone to Sandesh Kulkarni’s house to meet his sister Sonali Kulkarni.
In 1997, she started her acting career with the play Urvashiam. Through her play, Tee Fulrani, an adaptation of My Fair Lady, Amruta came into the limelight.
In 2000, she made an appearance in the Marathi TV serial ‘Zoka’. Her first big project was the Marathi movie ‘Shwaas’ which was released in 2004. This movie was a great hit and won National Award for the ‘Best Feature Film’. It was India’s Oscar entry for that year. After, this she debuted in Bollywood movie ‘Chausar’ in 2004. She debuted in singing with the album Jata Jata Pawasane (2014).
She has acted in many Marathi plays, TV serials and movies. She has worked with her mother in many movies one of which is ‘Gandha’. In this movie, her real mother played the role of her reel mother. This movie was a hit, and later, its adaption in Bollywood with the movie Aiyya was made, starring Rani Mukerji and Prithviraj Sukumaran.
She participated in ‘Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Marathi,’ which was organised for celebs and was among the Top 5 contestants. She is a trained classical singer and has lent her voice for various movies.
She published a book in 2014 titled- Ek Ulat Ek Sulat.
She appeared in the Bollywood movies Raman Raghav 2.0 and Gully Boy. Her acting skills were well recognised by Gully Boy’s director, Zoya Akhtar. In an interview, she unveiled that Zoya Akhtar was so fascinated with her acting skills that she did not take her audition for the film Gully Boy.
In 2018, she was seen in the web series ‘Selection Day’ based on Aravind Adiga’s novel. It was produced by Anil Kapoor and Anand Tucker. Though she has acted in many movies and TV serials, she believes that theatre is her first love.
She is also a social activist and is the brand ambassador of Zee Marathi Jagruti.
She was roped in for the hit web series Sacred Games 2, 2019. In Vikram Chandra’s original novel, the role of Amruta was of a male, but she managed to perform the role effectively and efficiently. She is playing the character of Kenya’s Raw agent in the web series.
Awards & Honours
- Zee Gaurav: Best Actress award for the TV show Awaghachi Sansaar (2004)
- National Film Award: Best Supporting Actress for the movie Astu, Marathi (2014)
- Smita Patil Memorial Award: Appreciation Award (2017)
- Maharashtra Government State Award for the Best Playback Singer (Nital, 2006)
- Food: Indian Cuisine
- Actor(s): Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Vijay Raaz
- Movies: Abhimaan, Umrao Jaan
- Writer: Gulzar
- Amruta lost her father when she was a kid.
- Her hobbies include singing, dancing, and writing. She has not limited these to her hobbies only but followed them as a profession.
- She loves to spend time with friends and kids.
- She is the niece of playwright Late Govind Purushottam Deshpande.
- Actress, Sonali Kulkarni, is her childhood friend, and now, sister-in-law.
- She met her husband when she was only 17 years old. He is a renowned director and has directed some famous plays like Sathecha Kaay Karayacha! and Pahila Vahila.
- In an interview, she said that what she wanted in a project is good content. She has rejected many offers just because the content was not good.
- Despite the fact that she is only a few years older to Ranveer Singh she managed to play the role of his mother in the movie Gully Boy, and her role was well appreciated.
- Amruta is a trained Bharatnatyam dancer.
- Netizens praised her work as the RAW agent Kusum Devi Yadav aka KDY in Sacred Games Season 2. She was one of the most talked-about characters in this series.