Agrita Dhawan, also known by her stage name ‘Agsy’ is an Indian rap artist and singer. She is one of the contestants of India’s first rap reality show “MTV Hustle (2019).”
Agrita Dhawan was born on Friday, 19 September 1997 (age 22 years; as in 2019) in the Faridabad City of Haryana. Her zodiac sign is Virgo.
She went to Modern Vidya Niketan (M.V.N.) and completed her schooling from Modern Delhi Public School in Faridabad. She has done BCom (Hons.) from Delhi College of Arts and Commerce. She also learned western music from the Delhi School of Music for a few months. Till 2019, she served as a banker at Barclays.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
She belongs to a Jat family. Her mother’s name is Anu Menika Dhawan.
She has a sister named Oshnik Dhawan, and two brothers; one of her brother’s name is Gurpreet Singh.
Agrita Dhawan has a boyfriend named Anant Sharma.
She started her YouTube Channel on 11 March 2016. She uploaded the first video of her performance in March 2016, which was of a college event.
She began collaborating with various artists. She uploaded her first music video ‘Wasted Love’ in 2017, which gained her much recognition.
She has collaborated with many artists such as T-Jay and Muhfaad including the Indian Playback singer, Divya Kumar.
- Food: S’more, Pizza, South Indian Cuisines
- Singers: Sia, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande
- Rappers: Nicki Minaj, Iggy Azalea, Snow Tha Product
- TV Shows: Friends, 13 Reasons Why
- Fashion Brand: Nike
- App: Evernote
- Video Game: Mini Militia
- Sports: Table Tennis, Swimming
- Entrepreneur: Sophia Amoruso
- Travel Destination: Goa
- She started singing at the age of 10 and has learned classical music for a short time.
- During the first year of her college, she tried her hand in rapping for the first time in an event. It was since then that she started performing in the fest and various events. Talking about it, she says-
I used to listen to Nicki Minaj and Iggy Azalea and would wonder, ‘How do they speak so fast?’. I then tried learning some lyrics and performed them at an event in my college. The response was phenomenal: maybe because it was something totally out of the box. I saw a crazy vibe in people when I performed, which I hadn’t seen when I used to sing.”
- One day, one of the boys in her circle commented that she was always looking for collaboration and never does anything on her own. That’s when she thought about making her own single. The single was ‘Wasted Love.’
- Her single ‘Wasted Love’ took two months to edit because the video editors she found did not have exposure to rap and such performance, which made it difficult to edit.
- Agsy’s relatives and neighbours used to continually nag about her trying to become a rapper. Despite that, she overcame all the tauntings and criticisms and followed her dream to become a female rap artist, and her family gave her full support.
- Talking about her stage name ‘Agsy’ and how she chose the name for herself, Agrita tells that Agsy was her alter ego. She further adds-
Agsy is a whole new persona with a different attitude than Agrita. Rap helped bring out much more confidence in me. Made me introspect and be clear with my thoughts. That’s not what Agrita ever was. So, this new person needed a name. Alas, AGSY!”
- Apart from singing, she has also done acting. She acted in the film ‘Firki,’ a Marwa Studios film project by AAFT.
- In 2019, Agsy was featured in the music video of the song titled ‘Mera Josh Mahaan,’ which was a part of the World Cup 2019 campaign by Red FM India. She sang it along with the leading Indian playback singer, Divya Kumar.
- She loves dogs and has a dog named JJ.
- In 2019, she participated in the rap reality show “MTV Hustle (2019).”
- She has tattooed a phoenix on her back.