Koena Mitra is an Indian model and actress. She is famous for her item number “Saaki Saaki” and is known as ‘The Saki Girl.’
Koena Mitra was born on Saturday, 7 Jan 1984 (age 35 years; as in 2019) in Kolkata. Her zodiac sign is Capricorn.
She did her schooling from South Point School in Kolkata. She has done her MA in Psychology from Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata. She has taken a short course in filmmaking from Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute, Los Angeles.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Husband
She belongs to a Bengali Family. Her father, Vishwanath Mitra is a chartered accountant. Her mother, Krishna Mitra is a school teacher.
She has a younger sister. She was in a relationship with the Turkish pilot Mette Merral.
Koena started her modelling career when she was still in school. In 2003, she won the beauty pageant Gladrags Mega Model India. She was the first runner of the Miss Intercontinental Pageant 2003, which took place in Germany. She has appeared in the ACP Whisky, Mirinda, Clinic All Clear, Maruti Alto and has walked the ramp for many fashion weeks in Milan and Beijing.
Before starting her acting career, Koena Mitra has appeared in the music video of the songs such as Stereo Nation’s Ishq, Aaj Ki Raat, Akh Teri, and Channo by Jasbir Jassi.
She made her first Bollywood appearance in the film “Road” (2002), in which she appeared in the song “Khullam Khulla.” Her Bollywood debut as an actor was with Sanjay Gupta’s “Musafir” (2004), in which she played the role of ‘Lara.’
She then appeared in many commercial hits such as “Ek Khiladi Ek Haseena” (2005), “Apna Sapna Money Money” (2006), and “Anamika” (2008). In 2009, she appeared for the first time in a Tamil film “Ayan” (2009) in the item number ‘Honey Honey.’ She made her acting debut in Tamil film with the movie “Aasal” in 2010.
She made her Bengali debut with the film “Besh Korechi Prem Korechi” in 2015.
- In 2019, a model named Poonam Sethi filed a case against Koena claiming that Koena had borrowed money from her and have failed to return it. Koena gave a check of Rs. 3 Lakh to Poonam but the check bounced at the bank. Reportedly, Koena was sent the legal notice, to which she did not respond. After the hearing, the metropolitan court held Koena guilty and sentenced her 6 months of simple imprisonment. She also has to pay the sum of Rs. 4.64 Lakh including the interest component of 1.64 Lakh to Poonam. Koena termed the case as completely fake and told that she was been framed in the matter.
- In 2017, Koena registered a case against a stranger, who was harassing her over the phone calls using different numbers. The case was booked under section 509 (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman) of IPC.
- In 2010, Koena was highly criticised for undergoing a nose job, which went terribly wrong. It even made loose many projects at that time.
- In 2009, she made headlines after the rumours about her taking the money to appear in the Jharkhand’s CM’s rally spread. Later, CBI found that the rumours were false.
- Food: Bengali Cuisine, Mustard Prawn Curry, Grilled fish and chicken
- Singer: Kishore Kumar
- Poet: Rabindranath Tagore
- Travel Destination: Barcelona
- She likes swimming, driving cars, watching movies, and partying.
- Her mother’s name is Krishna, which is a river, and Koena is the tributaries of Krishna. Hence, her name symbolizes her bond to her mother.
- In 2011, Koena went to Los Angeles to learn filmmaking after her nose job controversy. There, she spent four and a half years and bagged a few movie projects. Two of them are- “The Story of Naomi” and “Dark Romance.”
- She entered the league of girls-to-watch-out for in the Bollywood after she appeared in the song “Saaki Saaki,” from the film “Musafir” (2004).
- She is highly religious and a devotee of Goddess Durga and Lord Krishna.
- She supports the Bharatiya Janata Party and Narendra Modi.
- She has inked Chinese characters on the left side of her neck.
- She is an avid animal lover and is often seen posting photos with them on her social media accounts.
- In 2019, she participated in the TV reality show Bigg Boss 13, which was aired on Colors TV. Click here to check the complete list of Bigg Boss 13 contestants.