Bajrang Punia is a well-known Indian freestyle wrestler and is considered one of the most promising freestyle wrestlers in India. In 2021, he won the bronze medal in the 65 kg wrestling category at the Tokyo Olympics 2020.
Bajrang Punia was born on 26 February 1994 (age 26 years; as of 2020) Khudan Village of Jhajjar district in the state of Haryana, India. He started wrestling at the age of seven. He was trained at the regional centre of the Sports Authority of India (SAI) in Sonepat, India.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Body Measurement (approx.): Chest 52″, Waist 30″, Biceps 14″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Bajrang is the youngest of the three children of Balvan Singh Punia and Om Pyari Punia.
His elder brother’s name is Harendra Punia.
He has a nephew named Naman Punia.
Relationships & Wife
Bajrang Punia got married to fellow wrestler Sangeeta Phogat in a quiet ceremony in Balali village, Haryana on Wednesday, 25 November 2020. He took to Instagram to announce his wedding where he wrote,
Today, I have chosen my life partner and it feels like I have gained another family. I am starting a new chapter in my life and I am both happy and excited for the journey ahead. Thank you for your love and wishes.”
Bajrang won his first international tournament in the Asian Wrestling Championship in 2013, by winning Bronze for the country. After that, he went on to win many medals in various wrestling championships including Commonwealth Games, Asian Games, and several national and international tournaments.
Bajrang Punia once openly criticised the government policy of giving the Khel Ratna Award. He said that he would move to the court to question them about the policy of giving the honour. Reportedly, Virat Kohli got the honour Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna awards with an achievement score of Zero, while Bajrang had the highest score of 80.
Awards, Honours & Achievements
- Arjuna Award in 2015
- Padma Shri in 2019
- Silver (65 kg) in 2018 Budapest
- Bronze (60 kg) in 2013 Budapest
- Gold (65 kg) 2018 Jakarta
- Silver (61 kg) 2014 Incheon
- Gold (65 kg) 2018 Gold Coast
- Silver (61 kg) 2014 Glasgow
- Bronze (65 kg) in Tokyo Olympics 2020
- Dave Schultz Memorial Tournament, 2013 – Bronze
- Dave Schultz Memorial Tournament, 2015 – Bronze
- Sport: Basketball, Football, River Rafting
- Food: Churma
- Wrestler: Yogeshwar Dutt, Captain Chandrup
- Bajrang got his name after an Indian god Lord Hanuman. He was born on Tuesday, the day considered auspicious to worship Lord Hanuman.
- He likes to dance.
- He loves to play Basketball and Football.
- In 2015, his family left their village and moved to Sonepat, so that he could attend the regional centre of Sports Authority of India (SAI) in Sonepat, India.
- Wrestling is in Bajrang’s Blood. His father Balvan Singh and his brother were both once wrestlers.
- Before becoming a professional wrestler, Bajrang used to do wrestling to earn money.
- Bajrang’s coach is Yogeshwar Dutt.
- Bajrang is the first person to make India win its first Gold in Asian Games.
- He wishes to become like Yogeswar Dutt.
- After winning Silver at the 2018 World Wrestling Championship, he claimed World No. 1 in the 65 kg category.
- Bajrang Punia dedicated the gold medal he won in Dan Kolov-Nikola Petrov tournament in Ruse, Bulgaria to the Indian Air Force (IAF) Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman.