Bajrang Punia is a well-known Indian freestyle wrestler and is considered one of the most promising freestyle wrestlers in India.
Bajrang Punia was born on 26 February 1994 (age 25 years; as in 2019 ) Khudan village of Jhajjar district in the state of Haryana, India. He started wrestling at the age of seven. He has attended a regional centre of Sports Authority of India (SAI) in Sonepat, India.
Height: 5′ 5″
Weight: 65 kg
Body Measurement: Chest 37″, Waist 28″, Biceps 13″
Eye Color: Black
Hair Color: Black
Family & Caste
Bajrang was youngest of the three children of Balvan Singh Punia and Om Pyari Punia;
Harendra Punia being eldest son.
He has a nephew Naman Punia.
Bajrang won his first international tournament in Asian Wrestling Championship in 2013, by winning Bronze for the country. After that, he has won many silver, bronze, and gold medals in various wrestling championships including Commonwealth Games, Asian Games, and several national and international tournaments.
Bajrang Punia once openly criticised government policy of giving Khel Ratna. He said that he would move to the court, to question them about the policy of giving the honour. Virat Kohli got the honour Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna awards with an achievement score of Zero, while Bajrang had the highest score of 80.
Awards, Honours & Achievements
- Arjuna Award in 2015
- Padma Shri in 2019
- Silver (65 kg) in 2018 Budapest
- Bronze (60 kg) in 2013 Budapest
- Gold (65 kg) 2018 Jakarta
- Silver (61 kg) 2014 Incheon
- Gold (65 kg) 2018 Gold Coast
- Silver (61 kg) 2014 Glasgow
- Dave Schultz Memorial Tournament, 2013 – Bronze
- Dave Schultz Memorial Tournament, 2015 – Bronze
- Sport: Basketball, Football, River Rafting
- Food: Churma
- Wrestler: Yogeshwar Dutt, Captain Chandrup
- Bajrang got his name after an Indian god Lord Hanuman. He was born on Tuesday, the day considered auspicious to worship Lord Hanuman.
- He likes to dance.
- He loves to play Basketball and Football.
- In 2015, his family left their village and moved to Sonepat, so that he could attend the regional centre of Sports Authority of India (SAI) in Sonepat, India.
- Wrestling is in Bajrang’s Blood. His father Balvan Singh and his brother were both once wrestlers.
- He used to play wrestling in an effort to win money.
- Bajrang’s coach is Yogeshwar Dutt, who Olympic Games bronze medalist, Commonwealth Games gold medalist, and Padma Shree Awardee.
- Bajrang is the first person to make India win its first Gold in Asian Games.
- He wishes to become like Yogeswar Dutt.
- After winning Silver in 2018 World Wrestling Championship, he claimed World No. 1 in the 65 kg category.
- Bajrang Punia dedicated the gold medal he won in Dan Kolov-Nikola Petrov tournament in Ruse, Bulgaria to Indian Air Force (IAF) Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman.