Ameesha Patel is an Indian actress who primarily works in Hindi Cinema. She is known for her work in Kaho Naa… Pyaar Hai (2000) and Gadar: Ek Prem Katha (2001). Apart from being an actress, she is also a producer and model.
Amisha Amit Patel was born on Wednesday, 9 June 1976 (age: 43 years, as in 2019) in Breach Candy Hospital, Bombay, Maharashtra (present-day Mumbai, Maharashtra), India. When she was only five years old, she started dancing and learned ‘Bharatanatyam’ and became a trained ‘Bharatanatyam’ dancer. She received her primary education from Cathedral and John Connon School, Mumbai.
For her higher education, she enrolled at Tufts University, Boston, USA. She went to the USA to study Bio-genetic engineering, but she switched to Economics. After receiving her bachelor’s degree, she received an offer from an American Investment Banking Company, Morgan Stanley, but she rejected it.
- Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
- Figure Measurement (approx.): 34-26-36
- Eye Colour: Dark Brown
- Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
Ameesha Patel was born into a Patidar family to Amit Patel and Asha Patel. Her father, Amit Patel is a businessman.
She has one brother, Ashmit Patel who is also an actor.
She is unmarried. Since the release of her film, ‘Aap Mujhe Achche Lagne Lage,’ she started dating the film director, Vikram Bhatt. She lived in a relationship with Vikram Bhatt for five years until they broke up in 2008.
Thereafter, she met a London-based businessman, Kanav Puri and dated him until 2010.
She made her debut with Rakesh Roshan’s ‘Kaho Naa… Pyaar Hai’ (2000). The film was a big hit at the box office. She became a rising star overnight.
In the same year, she also made her Telugu debut with the film, ‘Badri,’ which was also a hit. In 2001, she appeared in ‘Gadar: Ek Prem Katha,’ which went on to become one of the biggest hits in the history of Indian Cinema.
In 2003, Patel made her Tamil debut with ‘Pudhiya Geethai.’ Thereafter, her films began to flop at the box office, and she struggled to give a big hit. In 2007, she eventually gained her lost image from the film, ‘Bhool Bhulaiyaa’ with co-star, Akshay Kumar. In 2008, she did a bikini item number, ‘Lazy Lamhe’ in Kunal Kohli’s ‘Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic.’
However, later, she disappeared from her mainstream acting career. She has worked in more than 30 films in her career including ‘Yeh Zindagi Ka Safar,’ ‘Kya Yehi Pyaar Hai,’ ‘Parwana,’ ‘Zameer: The Fire Within,’ ‘Tathastu,’ ‘Aap Ki Khatir,’ ‘Race 2,’ ‘Bhaiaji Superhit,’ etc.
In 2019, she appeared in the 13th season of Bigg Boss. The show’s host, Salman Khan made her ‘Malkin’ (Head) of the house who kept an eye on each and every contestant.
- In August 2006, an Air India employee filed a complaint against her. The employee alleged that the Patel misbehaved with her when her (Patel’s) companion was not upgraded to the first class on Mumbai-New York flight on 18 August 2006. Patel was going to attend the annual Indian Independence parade in New York. However, the organisers of Parade sent an apology letter and clarified that they had booked two first-class tickets for Patel and her companion but the booking was automatically transferred from one flight to another, due to which, the confusion created.
- When she was dating the director-cum-producer, Vikram Bhatt, there was a rift between her and her family. She accused her father of extorting her Rs. 12 crores to resurrect the family business. In July 2004, She sent a legal notice to her father and demanded her money back. However, later in 2009, the matter got sorted out. SIFY
- Food(s): Home-made Food, Chinese and Thai Cuisines
- Actresses: Julia Robert, Angelina Jolie, Madhuri Dixit
- Film(s): Umrao Jaan, Mrityudand, Lamhe, Titanic
- Colour(s): Black, White and all pastel shades
- Perfume(s): Dolce by Light Purple and Angel by Thierya & Mugler
- Book: ‘A Bridge Across Forever’ by Richard Bach
- Hotel: Ritz Carlton
- Destination(s): London, Paris, Amsterdam
She owns Audi Q7, BMW 730 LD, Mercedes
As in 2018, her net worth is around $30 million.
- Her birth name, Amisha is a blend of the first three letters of her father’s name, Amit and last three letters of her mother’s name, Asha.
- She was born into a Gujarati family. Her grandfather, Rajni Patel was a famous lawyer and politician. He had also served as the President of Pradesh Congress Committee, Mumbai.
- Having completed her study in the USA, she returned to India and joined Satyadev Dubey’s theatre group and acted in plays, including an Urdu language play titled Neelam (1999).
- She has also modelled for well-known Indian brands like Bajaj Sevashram, Cadburys Jai Lime, Fem, Fair & Lovely, Lux, and some others.
- When director Rakesh Roshan invited her family for a special lunch, she was selected for her debut film, ‘Kaho Naa… Pyaar Hai.’ Prior to her, Kareena Kapoor was given the lead-actress role, but she rejected.
- For Gadar: Ek Prem Katha, she was selected out from 22 girls who were screen-tested from 500 girls who came to audition for the film.
- Between 2002 to 2005, she also appeared in some talk shows such as ‘The Manish Malhotra Show’ and ‘Rendezvous with Simi Garewal.’
- In September 2004, she Joined PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). She does not support the captivity of animals in zoos. Once she stated-
“George Washington, Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi… we had them. Animals don’t; they need us. Let’s fight for their freedom.”
- In February 2005, Patel performed at the HELP! Telethon Concert to raise fund for the victims of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami.
- In 2006, she became a member of an NGO called PlanetRead, which helps people in villages to learn reading through film songs.
- In October 2007, Patel along with John Abraham and Kirron Kher joined the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) to fight against human trafficking in India.
- Many times, Patel has been named in the list of the sexiest Bollywood actresses.
- She has also been featured on the cover page of Maxim India, three times.
- On 23 April 2011, she launched her production company, ‘Ameesha Patel Productions’ in collaboration with her friend, Kuunal Goomer.
References [ + ]