Chitrangada Singh Chahal is an Indian model, actress, and film producer who mainly works in Bollywood. She came into the limelight after featuring in the music video of the song “Sunset Point,” which was sung by Gulzar.
Chitrangada Singh was born on Monday, 30 August 1976 (age 43 years; as in 2019) in Jodhpur, Rajasthan. Her zodiac sign is Virgo.
She did her schooling from Meerut’s Sophia Girl’s School and went to New Delhi’s Lady Irwin College to pursue Home Science. She desired to become an Air Hostess. After completing her graduation, Chitrangada applied for the post of an ‘Air Hostess’ with different airlines, but she got rejected thrice.
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Family & Caste
Chitrangada Singh belongs to a Sikh Jat Family.
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Niranjan Singh is a retired army officer. Her mother is a homemaker. Her brother, Digvijay Singh is a Golf player. She also has a sister named Tina Singh.
Relationships, Husband & Children
Chitrangada met Jyoti Singh Randhawa when she was in her class 8 while Randhawa was in his class 12. Their fathers were in the same regiment in the army. After a few years, both the families shifted to Delhi, and Singh started dating Randhawa. The couple dated each other for five years before tying the knot in 2001. Together they have a son, Zorawar Randhawa. They got divorced in 2014 due to misunderstandings. Singh has the custody of her son.
Later, she was rumoured to be in a relationship with the film director, Sudhir Mishra.
Chitrangada Singh started her career as a model in 1994. She did modelling assignments for brands like ICICI bank and Alukkas Jewellery. Singh earned recognition after featuring in the music video of Gulzar‘s video song “Sunset Point.” Next, she featured in a few more music videos. In 2003, the film director, Sudhir Mishra, spotted her in the music video of the pop song “Koi Lauta De Woh Pyare Pyare Din” and called her for a screen test for his film, “Hazaaron Khawahishein Aisi,” that she easily passed, and her performance in the film was appreciated both by the audience and the critics.
Subsequently, she featured in the film “Kal: Yesterday and Tomorrow.” She, then, took a sabbatical from her acting career for a while. In 2008, she made a comeback in Bollywood by playing the role of ‘Aaliya’ in the romantic-comedy “Sorry Bhai.” Some of her popular films include “Desi Boyz,” “Anjaan,” “Gabbar Is Back,” “Munna Michael,” and “Baazaar.”
In 2018, she made her television debut by appearing as a judge in the dance reality show “Dance India Dance Li’l Masters.” In the same year, she made her debut as a producer with the film “Soorma.”
- Chitrangada Singh stirred a controversy after her divorce with Jyoti Randhawa. It was believed that her affair with film director, Sudhir Mishra, was the reason of her divorce with Jyoti. Times of India
- In 2016, Chitrangada walked out of the film ‘Babumoshai Bandookbaaz’ (2017); as the director of the film, Kushan Nandy, was forcing her to do intimate scenes with Nawazuddin Siddiqui, which were not required for her character in the film. Times of India
- Bollywood Movie Award for ‘Best Female Debut for the film “Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi” (2006)
- FICCI Young Women Achiever Award (2009)
- Awarded by the Indian Council For UN Relations for ‘Excellence in the Field of Entertainment’ (2020)
She owns a BMW X5.
28th floor of Oberoi Springs on Link Road, Andheri, Mumbai
- Food: Mutton Biryani, Malai Tikka, Fried Eggs, Bacon
- Beverage: Coffee
- Film(s): Satte Pe Satta (1982), Deewar (1975), Sholay (1975), Jodhaa Akbar (2008)
- Colour(s): Black, White, Grey
- Her hobbies include swimming, kickboxing, travelling, and playing golf.
- She follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- She loves doing adventure activities like River Rafting and Sky Diving.
- Singh disclosed in an interview that she was named ‘Chitrangada’ after the name of one of Arjuna’s wives from Mahabharata.
- In the popular media, she is often compared with the noted Bollywood actress, Smita Patil, for her striking similarities with the veteran actress.
- She is a trained Kathak dancer.
- Chitrangada was the first choice for the film “Krrish 3,” but she walked out of the film due to the date clashes with Sudhir Mishra’s another film. However, later, the other film didn’t work out either.
- In the beggining of her career, Chitrangada made a special appearance in Shirish Kunder’s film ‘Joker.’ She even sang a song for the film.
- Singh took an abrupt sabbatical from her acting career and she was home prisoned by her husband; as her husband was not happy with her acting career.
- In 2012, after Nirbhaya‘s Delhi-rape case, Chitrangada too shared an incident from her college days in Delhi. She said,
I’ve suffered my share of sexual harassment, which I think every girl in DU (Delhi University) has experienced. It’s horrible. You can’t get into a DTC (Delhi Transport Corporation) bus. I can understand what she (the victim) has gone through.”
- Singh has featured on the cover of the “Hello Magazine.”
- She is the brand ambassador of many popular brands, like Airtel, Parachute, Borges Olive Oil, Taj Mahal Tea, Titan Eye Plus, Dollar Missey.
- Singh is also the brand ambassador of PETA.
- The popular singer, Honey Singh, confessed during an interview that he had a huge crush on Chitrangada. While talking about the actress, Honey Singh said,
Chitrangda isn’t from earth. She’s from Pandora. Woh ek alag planet se hi hai, she’s that beautiful,” Honey Singh stated. He even claimed that he would be willing to adopt her son, if it came down to it.”