Aditi Rao Hydari is an Indian actress who predominantly works in Hindi, Tamil, and Telugu films. She is well known for her role in Sudhir Mishra’s 2011 crime thriller Yeh Saali Zindagi in which she played the role of Shanti. Aditi is seen in films like Padmaavat, Delhi 6, and Rockstar.
Aditi Rao Hydari was born on Tuesday, 28 October 1986 (age 35 years; as of 2021) in Hyderabad. Her zodiac sign is Scorpio. She completed her schooling at Rishi Valley School, Madanapalle, Andhra Pradesh. For college studies, she went to Lady Shri Ram College, University of Delhi.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Figure Measurements (approx.): 34-26-34
Aditi Rao Hydari belongs to an eminent Muslim family. Since both of her parents belonged to royal lineages, Aditi is a part of two royal families. From the paternal side, she belongs to Sir Muhammad Saleh Akbar Hydari and from the maternal side, she belongs to Raja J. Rameshwar Rao, former Raja of the Wanaparthy Samasthanam.
Parents & Siblings
Aditi’s father’s name is Ehsaan Hydari. He was a Bohri Muslim. He died in 2013 due to lung cancer.
Her mother’s name is Vidya Rao, who is a thumri Dadra singer.
Aditi’s grandfather’s name is Raja J Rameshwar Rao, who was the Raja of Wanaparthy, a principality of Hyderabad. He started his own publishing house Orient Blackswan, where educational books were published. Her grandmother’s name is Shanta Rameshwar Rao who runs a school, Vidyaranya High school in Hyderabad. The Times Of India
Husband & Children
In 2007, at the age of 21, Aditi got married to Satyadeep Mishra, a former civil servant and lawyer. Later, he became an actor.
In 2013, they got separated. In an interview, she revealed her marital status and said,
Aditi’s great grandfather’s name was Sir Akbar Hydari, who was the Prime Minister of the Nizam of Hyderabad.
Amina Hydari, the great grandmother of Aditi, established the Hydari tennis club for women, and she was the founder of Mahboobia Girls School, the first girl’s school in Hyderabad. The Times of India
Kiran Rao, the ex-wife of actor Aamir Khan, is her maternal first cousin.
Reportedly, it was rumoured that Aditi Rao Hydari was dating her Wazir co-actor Farhan Akhtar. It was also speculated that the reason behind Farhan’s divorce from his ex-wife Adhuna Akhtar was his relationship with Aditi. The Times of India
Aditi Rao Hydari is a trained Bharatanatyam dancer. At the age of five, Aditi started learning Bharatanatyam from the acclaimed dancer Leela Samson.
Later, Aditi joined Samson’s dance group, Spanda, where she taught dance to students and performed at various stage events in India as well as abroad.
In an interview, while talking about her interest in dance, Aditi said,
I was five when I started learning Bharatanatyam. It was my choice to dance, also because I was surrounded by the classical arts. I was lucky that I got a teacher like Leela Samson. Although I was in boarding school and my mother was very insistent that I finish my education, I performed a lot before I became an actor,”
Aditi made her acting debut in 2006 with the Malayalam film Prajapathi opposite Muhammad Kutty Ismail. In 2007, she made her Tamil debut with the Tamil period drama film Sringaram. In 2009, she made her Bollywood debut in a supporting role with Delhi 6.
In 2011, she again appeared in a supporting role for the romantic thriller Yeh Saali Zindagi, opposite Irrfan Khan. Next, she featured in Imtiaz Ali‘s romantic drama Rockstar in which she played the role of a reporter. In 2012, Aditi was cast in a lead role for the film London, Paris, New York opposite Ali Zafar. In 2013, she appeared in Mahesh Bhatt‘s Murder franchise Murder 3, opposite Randeep Hooda. In the same year, she was seen in the film Boss, starring Akshay Kumar. In 2016, she appeared in the films Wazir and Fitoor. In 2017, Aditi, for the first time, got the chance to collaborate with director Mani Ratnam for her second Tamil film Kaatru Veliyidai. In 2018, she was seen opposite Ranveer Singh in the film Padmaavat directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali. Aditi made her Tollywood debut in 2018 with the Telugu drama film, Sammohanam.
In 2021, Aditi appeared in two Netflix films, The Girl on the Train and Ajeeb Daastaans.
Aditi made her singing debut with the film London, Paris, New York and lent her voice to two songs, ‘Thehree si Zindagi’ and ‘Voh dekhnay me.’ Aditi has rendered her voice to a Tamil song, Kaathodu kaathanen, along with Dhanush for the film Jail. She sang the Hindi version of the Ice Age theme song ‘We Are Family’ in the film Ice Age 4: Continental Drift.
Aditi Rao Hydari has appeared in several commercials for different brands like Loreal, Platinum Days of Love, GRT Jewellers, Cadbury, Ajio, Maaza, Sabyasachi, Nerolac, and Asian Paints.
Victim of Casting Couch
In an interview, Aditi Rao Hydari revealed that she had been a victim of the casting couch. According to Aditi, she was asked to compromise to get a role in a Bollywood film. She further said that although it didn’t harm her much, she was devoid of work for some time.
I remember when I started, I was extra-naive because I came from a protected background. I didn’t know that the rumours were true, that things like this did happen. And honestly, I have not had such a bad time. I had one incident which actually didn’t harm me very much. But yes, I did lose work because I was given a choice – it’s either this or this. For me, it was a no-brainer. I had to walk away,” Hindustan Times
Trolled for posting a salute selfie with the left hand
In 2015, Aditi Rao Hydari, on the occasion of India’s Independence Day, posted a salute selfie on Instagram in which she was seen saluting with her left hand. Social media users trolled her for being disrespectful towards the Indian Army. Hindustan Times
- 2012: Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Female) for Yeh Saali Zindagi at the Screen Awards
- 2017: Best Actress (Tamil) Award for her performance in Kaatru Veliyidayi at Asiavision Awards
- 2017: Best Debut Actress (Tamil) at South Indian International Movie Awards for Mani Ratnam’s Kaatru Veliyidayi
- 2018: Dadasaheb Phalke Excellence Award for the Best Leading Lady (Critics Award) for the film Bhoomi Aditi Rao Hydari with her Dadasaheb Phalke Excellence Award
- 2019: Best Debut Female and Special Jury Award for Sammohanam at Zee Cine Awards Telugu
- 2019: Best Supporting Actor (Female) for Padmaavat at International Indian Film Academy Awards (IIFA)
Aditi Rao Hydari owns an Audi Q7 SUV.
Aditi Rao Hydari charges 60-70 lakh per film.
- Food: Hyderabadi Kheema, Biryani, and Idli Ghee Podi
- Actor: Amitabh Bachchan
- Book: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
- Colour: White
- Musician: A. R Rahman
- Destination(s): Turkey and London
- Movie: Barfi
- Director: Mani Ratnam
- Aditi Rao Hydari walked down the ramp as a showstopper for designer Sailesh Singhania at Lakme Fashion Week 2019.
- Aditi Rao Hydari is an animal lover, and she is an active member of PETA.
- Aditi’s parents had a love marriage, but they separated when she was two years old. The Times of India
- For her film Bhoomi, Aditi attended several workshops to adapt the character of a girl who has a stammering problem.
- Aditi made her red carpet debut at the 75th Cannes Film Festival and represented smartphone brand Vivo India.
- Aditi has kept the surname of both of her parents. In an interview, she said,
I wanted to keep both, as my mom has brought me up, but my father is also a part of me. Hydari is a rare name so I kept both Rao and Hydari”.
- Aditi featured as the face of the fifth edition of Vogue Wedding Show 2017.
- Aditi has a huge fan following on social media with 7.8M followers on Instagram, 2.2M followers on Facebook and 1.2M followers on Twitter.
- Aditi has two pet dogs, Gigi and Zoe.
- Aditi Rao Hydari has featured on several magazine covers like Femina, Verve, Vogue, and Bazaar.