Oni Sen is an Indian director, photographer, and illustrator. In March 2020, Sen directed the Indian web series Asur: Welcome to Your Dark Side, which was released on the online platform Voot.
Aniruddha Sen Pune Design Festival – Official Website was born on 30 September in West Bengal, India. His zodiac sign is Libra. Sen pursued a bachelor’s degree in design (B.Des.) at the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, Gujarat; he did his specialization in films.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Salt and pepper
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His parents and siblings’ names are not known.
Wife & Children
On 16 January 1996, he got married to Rachna Rastogi Sen; she was his collegemate and long-term partner. Some reports suggested that they first met each other at the National Institute of Design in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. He has a son, Agni Sen.
Later, Rachna, and their mutual friend, K. K. Muralidharan, started Xheight Design India in Mumbai. K. K. Muralidharan is a production designer who predominantly worked in the Hindi film industry. Xheight Design India is a multi-disciplinary design studio which specialises in Spatial Design.
Between 1996 and 2023, he worked with a lot of famous brands like Nike, HP, Coca-Cola, Amazon, Bose Audio Systems, Aircel, Horlicks, Bacardi, Lay’s, and Tanishq. During this time, he directed and produced numerous advertisements. Oni and his long-term friend and associate Suparna Chatterjee co-founded the Production House, Electric Dreams Film Company, in 2010. Sen and Chatterjee reportedly have worked together for nearly 20 years, between 2000 and 2023.
In 2011, Sen directed the advertisement for Horlicks Gold when it was first introduced. The advertisement focused on the bond between a mother and her growing child, and it quickly gained widespread popularity. On March 8 2018, he released a short film called “Paro” on YouTube. The film was created for HP Inc in San Diego, California. It gained recognition and made it to the final round of the 2018 Cannes Film Craft for Direction competition.
Sen made his debut as a documentary director with his critically acclaimed The Saints of Sin, which was released in 2016. The Saints of Sin took three years to complete the filming process. The documentary revolved around the lives of eight women who were from various parts of the world and focussed on the seven cardinal sins. The Saints of Sin received numerous accolades and was screened at several international and national film festivals.
In 2020, he made his debut as a web series director with the Hindi-language crime thriller web series Asur: Welcome to Your Dark Side, which was aired on the OTT platform Voot. The first episode, The Dead Can Talk, was released on 2 March 2020 and was well-received among the audience and critics alike. The first season of the series was divided into eight parts, and all the episodes were released in the first week of March 2020.
He was approached to direct the second season of the Hindi-language web series Out of Love in 2021; the second season of the series was released in April 2021, and it received positive feedback from the audience. Later, Asur: Welcome to Your Dark Side was renewed for a second season with high demand from the audience; however, the shooting and other works were delayed because of the Covid-19 lockdown and the second season’s release was postponed to June 2023. The first episode of Asur: Welcome to Your Dark Side’s second season was released on 1 June 2023, and it became instantly popular among the audience and surpassed the popularity made by the first season.
- 2020: Asian Television Awards (Best Direction – Fiction) – Asur: Welcome to Your Dark Side
- 2020: Filmfare OTT Awards (Best Director – Popular Award) (nominated) – Asur: Welcome to Your Dark Side
- 2021: Indian Film and Television Awards (Best web series) (nominated) – Asur: Welcome to Your Dark Side
- Actor: Amitabh Bachchan
- He occasionally smokes.
- Oni Sen, in his leisure time, loves travelling.
- While speaking about his initial days as an ad filmmaker, in an interview, Oni Sen revealed that he became a filmmaker to make flashy and slick films and pointed out that back then, he preferred such films over films with quality narratives and stories. Later, when he felt like his creations lacked human insights, he stopped making flashy films and focussed on telling stories that narrated human bonds driven by emotions.
- The director briefly worked as visiting faculty of the Crafting Creative Communication course at the Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, in February 2018.
- On 29 November 2017, Sen spoke at a TEDx event which was held at the Vishwakarma Institute of Technology in Pune, Maharashtra.
- In an interview, Oni revealed that he was a massive fan of Amitabh Bachchan. The director added that he learned the Hindi language through Bachchan’s films, as Hindi was not a subject in his curriculum.