Ivanka Das is an Indian actor, dancer, choreographer, model, fashion creative director, and former drag queen. She is known for her appearances in Hindi-language films and web series. She gained recognition from her performances in films like ‘Ghoomer’ (2023) and ‘Haddi’ (2023). She is also recognised for her distinctive bold appearance and bald look, which has captured the attention of many.
Ivannka Das was born as Arandeep Das Filmfare on Thursday, 18 December 1986 (age 37 years; as of 2023) in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. Her zodiac sign is Sagittarius. She grew up in Mumbai and Delhi. The Times of India Her hometown is Kolkata. Ivanka joined the South Point School in Kolkata on 5 February 1993. She then attended Gobardanga Hindu College, Kolkata. Ivanka Das – Facebook
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Figure Measurements (approx.): 34-30-34
Ivanka Das belongs to an extended and conservative Bengali family.
Parents & Siblings
Ivanka, who was living as a man, married a woman in 2010. They started as friends and then began dating. According to Ivanka, she got married under family pressure. She, however, later opened up about her identity to the girl following which they remained best friends rather than a couple. After one year of marriage, they got separated, and Ivanka decided to leave Kolkata and move to Delhi, where she lived at her aunt’s place for nine years. Ivanka Das – Facebook Filmfare
Ivanka is a transwoman. According to her, she displayed girl-like behaviour even as a child. In an interview, she revealed about experiencing both gender and body dysphoria when she came to know about her identity as a woman at the age of 22. SheThePeople According to Ivanka, she initially used to lie to people that she was bisexual; she came out as bisexual at the age of 17. Ivanka later officially came out as a trans and underwent gender confirmation surgery in Delhi. She then changed her name from “Amandeep to “Ivanka.” Filmfare
Ivanka once dated a man for three years in Delhi while being identified as a man. According to her, the relationship made her realise that she was meant to be a woman. In an interview, she talked about that relationship and revealed that when that guy broke up with her, she became very upset and got sick. To heal from her anxiety and heartbreak, Ivanka spent two years at ISKCON, which also helped her make important decisions about her gender identity.
Choreographer and Model
Ivanka Das initially worked as a dancer in Kolkata. She even represented India at various events. She went on to choreograph for various people and awards shows and work as a fashion creative director. According to her, she soon gained recognition and became one of the youngest choreographers in Kolkata. She then started posting videos on TikTok which soon went viral on the internet.
According to Ivanka, one of her friends once asked her to help him with a photoshoot which made her explore modelling. Later, Ivanka became a drag queen at Keshav Suri’s club ‘Kitty Su’ at The LaLiT in Chandigarh. According to Ivanka, she was initially asked to leave the club lobby, but she reached out to Keshav Suri directly, who selected her as the drag queen.
In 2019, she was featured on the online cover of Vogue India; it was in celebration of the first anniversary of the decision in the Navtej Singh Johar v. Union of India case, which made consensual adult relationships legal. In 2023, she was featured on the cover page of Harper’s Bazaar.
Ivanka made her television debut as a contestant in 2019 with a dance reality television series titled ‘Dance Deewane’ (Season 2), which aired on the channel Colors TV.
In 2023, she appeared as ‘Shanmukhi’ in the television series ‘Chand Jalne Laga,’ which aired on Colors TV and streamed on Jio Cinema.
Ivanka made her acting debut with the web series ‘Yeh Hai #Mandi’ in 2019; she played the role of a brothel owner named Kareena in the series, which premiered on Prime Flix.
In 2021, she appeared as ‘Beauty’ in the series ‘Bombay Begums,’ which streamed on Netflix. In the same year, she appeared in ZEE5’s black comedy series ‘Sunflower.’
Ivanka Das debuted in Bollywood with the drama film ‘Maja Ma’ in 2022. She appeared as a trans activist in the film.
In 2023, she played the role of ‘Surri’ in a crime drama film titled ‘Haddi.’ In the same year, Ivanka appeared as ‘Rasika’ in the sports drama film ‘Ghoomer.’
Ivanka Das has got a butterfly inked on her neck.
She has got an arrow inked on one of her forearms.
- According to her, she initially faced financial issues due to which she had to work as a massage boy, security guard, table boy in a local hotel, and even as a gipsy. Ivanka Das – Instagram
- She loves cooking and often posts about it on social media. According to her, cooking serves as a source of meditation. In 2020, she shared a post on Facebook to reveal that as a kid, she used to feel jealous of girls who could do things like knitting and cooking. Ivanka Das’ Facebook post about cooking
- She smokes cigarettes. According to her, she began smoking to fit in with the image of being a boy; however, she later understood that this was not true to who she really was. While talking about this, in an interview, Ivanka said,
I even started smoking, all the while knowing deep inside that I was doing these things solely for my image and I wasn’t truly content. I realised that my authentic self was not that of a man.”
- She once suffered from alopecia, a condition causing hair loss. As a result, she decided to embrace a bald look, which later became her signature style. A photographer had suggested that a clean-shaved head suited her facial features well, and she followed this advice, which made her earn the title of the world’s first bald trans model. Josh Talks
- She is considered to be the first bald transwoman with multiple skills to enter Bollywood. Josh Talks
- While talking about the making of the film ‘Haddi’ (2023) in an interview, Ivanka shared that she had a fight with some transgenders on the set who thought she received ‘special treatment.’ Ivanka explained them that it was only because she was an actor, while they were part of the crowd in the film. Hindustan Times
- Ivanka was initially signed for a significant role in the film ‘Taali’ (2023), but, after about three days of shooting, she was removed from the film. The filmmakers mentioned scheduling conflicts as the reason. Ivanka, on the other hand, in an interview, denied these claims.
- Ivanka Das believes in contributing to society and has been actively involved with non-governmental organizations like the Society for Human Alliance Need.
- In an interview, Ivanka Das claimed that Ram Gopal Varma, a film director and screenwriter, once asked her to send him pictures of herself in lingerie as part of a casting process for a film. After she sent him pictures, Varma invited her to his place in the evening to discuss the project. Ivanka, however, felt uncomfortable with the situation and requested that he first send her details about the project via text, but Varma blocked her later. Subhojit Ghosh – YouTube