Ali Fazal is a Bollywood as well as a Hollywood actor of Indian origin. Though this versatile actor has not done many films, his work has marked his position in Bollywood already. Let’s dive deeper into the professional and personal life of Ali Fazal.
Ali Fazal was born on 15 October 1986 in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India. Fazal had an acting bug in him since his school days as he used to participate in school plays. He was selected to play the role of Trinculo in Shakespeare’s play, The Tempest. Before getting into the films, Ali did many commercial ads. He is also a theatre artist. Fazal was given the title, ‘Most Desirable Men’ by The Times Of India in 2014. The 32-year-old actor is best known for his Bollywood debut character, ‘Joy‘ in the film, 3 Idiots. He has played supporting roles in many Bollywood flicks. Also, being a philanthropist, he joined ‘Fortis,’ and ‘NDTV’ organised, ‘Cancerthon‘ to create awareness and raise funds for children battling cancer. During the event, he also spoke against smoking.
He stands 5′ 11″ (175cm) and weighs 75 kg (165 lbs). He has broad chest around 40 and Biceps around 13.
Fazal was born into a Muslim middle-class family in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
Parents & Siblings
He was 18 when his parents got divorced from each other.
Ali grew up in his grandparents’ house.
On 4 October 2022, he got married to his long-time girlfriend Richa Chadda in Lucknow.
He attended La Martiniere College in Lucknow and completed his schooling from, The Doon School, Dehra Dun. He was a basketball player during his school time, and he always wished to represent India at International level. After he did his schooling, his parents wanted Ali to pursue Engineering, but he anyhow convinced his parents and completed his graduation in economics from St. Xavier’s College. He debuted through the English language film, The Other End of the Line (2008). He then appeared in American television miniseries, Bollywood Hero. After his film, Always Kabhi Kabhi failed miserably at the box-office, Ali stated in an interview that it was not a right decision to do the film. Ali further revealed that he lost around 15 kgs weight for the film. His film, Fukrey (2013) was a breakthrough for Ali, as his career picked up the pace and he bagged many offers for the lead roles.
Ali played the supporting role in the comedy-drama, Bobby Jasoos opposite Vidya Balan, the film was well received. In 2015, Ali made a special appearance in the film, Furious 7, the 7th installment in The Fast and the Furious series.
Then he was seen in an Indo-American film, For Here Or To Go?. The film was screened at many International Film Festivals. In 2017, he was starred in the British-American film, Victoria & Abdul, which was premiered at the Venice Film Festival in 2017.
In 2015, Ali Fazal sparked a controversy by saying that his co-star in Khamoshiyan, Gurmeet Choudhary, was cast by the makers to promote the film since he had a good fan following and nothing more. He further added that Gurmeet’s “Lord Ram” character in NDTV Imagine’s Ramayana was the only character responsible for his “fan following.”
- Ali Fazal does not smoke, nor he drinks alcohol.
- His anytime dish is Chicken Biryani.
- Ali’s favourite colour is blue.
- He is a complete Bollywood bug and loves watching movies in his free time, and his favourite actors are Shahrukh Khan and Al Pacino, whereas, Kajol is his favourite actress.
- He is averse to swimming since he is a water phobic.
- Fazal revealed in an interview that he convinced his parents to get separated so that it would make everyone’s life simple and happy. He added,
“I believe it’s not fair on people to continue in a relationship only because a child’s involved”.
- One of Ali’s aspirations is to become a part of a music band as a lead guitarist.
- As per the reports, costumes of the lead actors including Ali, worn in the film, Victoria & Abdul, have been kept in the official display at the former residence of the Queen of England, Osborne House.
- To pay his tribute to Paul Walker, he rendered his help in organizing a drag race in Lonavla.
- He did a concert, ‘Rooh Kambdi‘ with the singer, Tochi Raina, to make funds for the victims of the earthquake in Nepal.
- Ali is known as a media-friendly person.
- He is the celebrity endorser of an Indian domestic card scheme, RuPay.
- According to Ali Fazal, his first salary was Rs. 8,000 when, at the age of 19, he was working in a call centre in his college days.
First salary – 8000/-
Age – 19
Call centre during college to fund college fee. https://t.co/z2julqM576
— Ali Fazal M / میر علی فضل / अली (@alifazal9) November 18, 2020
- Ali Fazal is a big fan of Alexander McQueen, and his wardrobe has a couple of jackets from the brand. His wardrobe also has suits from D&G and Dior. GQ