Manmohan Singh is an Indian film director and cinematographer. He worked along with Yash Chopra for many superhit Bollywood movies like Chandni (1989), Lamhe (1991), Darr (1993), Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995), Dil To Pagal Hai (1997), and Mohabbatein (2000). He is renowned as a groundbreaking director in Punjabi film Industry in addition to his Bollywood career as a cinematographer.
Manmohan Singh was born on Monday, 26 September 1932 (91 Years old; as of 2023) in the village Neza Dela Kalan, district Sirsa, Haryana. His zodiac sign is Libra. In 1978, Manmohan Singh graduated from the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) in Pune.
Manmohan Singh made his directorial debut with the Punjabi-language film Nasibo (1993). Later, he directed many Punjabi films including Jee Aayan Nu (2002), Asa Nu Maan Watna Da (2004), Yaaran Naal Baharan (2005), Dil Apna Punjabi (2006), Mitti Wajaan Maardi (2007), Mera Pind (2008), Munde U.K. De (2009), Ik Kudi Punjab Di (2010), Ajj De Ranjhe (2012), Aa Gaye Munde U.K. De (2014), and PR (2022).
Manmohan Singh has produced the films Mera Pind (2008), Ik Kudi Punjab Di (2010), Honour Killing (2014), and Hate Story 2 (2014).
He made his cinematography debut with the Punjabi film Chann Pardesi (1981). Later, he did cinematography work in many films including Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya (1997), Dil To Pagal Hai (1997), Jab Pyaar Kisise Hota Hai (1998), Hu Tu Tu (1999), Mohabbatein (2000), and Albela (2001). The Tribune
- Manmohan Singh won two Filmfare Awards for Best Cinematography, for the Bollywood film Chandni in 1990, and for the Bollywood film Darr in 1994. In an interview, he talked about Sridevi in the film Chandni and said,
We knew from the title and the story of a beautiful girl that we wanted to give the effect of a moonlit night and her beauty. It’s much easier with a good actress like Sridevi.”
- In 1998, he won the Zee Cine Award for Best Cinematography for the movie Dil To Pagal Hai starring Shah Rukh Khan, Madhuri Dixit, and Karishma Kapoor.
- In 2001, he won Sansui Viewers’ Choice Best Cinematographer award for the Bollywood movie Mohabbatein.
- He won the Lux Zee Cine Award for Best Cinematographer for Dil To Pagal Hai in 1998.
- Manmohan Singh was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award at PTC Punjabi Film Awards in 2019.
- He is called the name ‘Man ji’ by his friends and colleagues in the Punjabi Film industry.
- Apart from being a director and cinematographer, he is also a singer and has lent his voice to many popular songs ‘Like Mere Pyaar Ki Umar’ from the Bollywood film Waris along with Lata Mangeshkar and “Jeene De Yeh Duniya Chaahe Maar Daale” from the Bollywood film Laava (1985) with Asha Bhosle.
- Manmohan Singh often visits various film academies to share his filmmaking experience.
- Manmohan Singh, along with Harbhajan Mann, was responsible for the success of the Punjabi Film Industry in the 2000s.