Tanishk Bagchi is an Indian music composer, producer, and singer who works mainly in Bollywood. He has also worked in the South Indian Films.
Tanishk Bagchi was born on Sunday, 23 November 1980 (age 39 years; as in 2019) in Kolkata. His zodiac sign is Sagittarius.
He did his schooling from Frank Anthony Public School and Scottish Church Collegiate School in Kolkata. He did his BSc from the City College in Kolkata. Loudest.in When he was five to six years of age, he learned to play the piano but left it five years later. At the age of 14 or 15, he started learning music from his father.
Height (approx): 5′ 7″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Girlfriend
He belongs to a Bengali Hindu Family. Filmfare Film Companion His father, Nand Kumar Das is a blues and jazz player and was an arranger with the veterans like R. D. Burman, Salil Chowdhary, and Satyajit Ray.
His mother, Sarmistha Barman is a Punjabi guitarist and pianist. She also is also a music teacher and teaches western and classical music.
He has a younger sister. Tanishk is married to Genevieve Baagchi Dmello, and the couple has two kids.
As a Music Composer/Producer
Tanishk Bagchi started his music career as a composer with Vayu Srivastava as a part of the musical duo “Tanishk-Vayu.” They composed music for the TV shows like Dance India Dance and Thapki Pyar Ki.
He made his Bollywood debut with the song “Banno” from the film “Tanu Weds Manu Returns” (2015) along with Vayu.
He made his debut as a solo composer with the song “Bolna” from the film “Kapoor and Sons” (2016).
He composed many hit songs such as Bolna, The Humma Song, Badri Ki Dulhania (Title Track), Tamma Tamma Again (Remake), Baarish, Sweety Tera Drama, Rangtaari, Dholida, Dilbar, O Saki Saki, Hauli Hauli (Remake), and Aankh Marey. He also composed music for several music albums and singles such as Leja Re, Vaaste, Choodiyan, Nai Jaana, and Yaad Piya Ki Aane Lagi. He made his Telugu debut with the “Adbhutam” from the film “Lover” in 2018.
He made his Malayalam debut with the song “Psycho Saiyaan” from the film “Saaho” in 2019. He also worked in the Telugu version of the same song.
Kanishk made his Tamil debut with the song “Kadhal Psycho” from the 2019 film “Saaho.”
As a Singer
Tanishk Bagchi made his singing debut with the “The Humma Song (remake)” from the film “Ok Jaanu” (2017).
He has sung hit songs like Twist Kamariya, Baaki Rab Pe Chod De, Makhna, Khud Se Zyada, and Maaserati.
Apart from being a music composer and singer, Tanishk Bagchi is also a lyricist. He made his debut as a lyricist with the song “Baarish” from the film “Half Girlfriend” (2017).
He has written lyrics for the hit songs like Twist Kamariya, Gazab Ka Hai Din (remake), Sawarne Lage, Akh Lad Jaave, Ve Maahi, Hauli Hauli (Remake), Shehar Ki Ladki, and Wakhra Swag (Remake).
Awards & Achievements
- International Indian Film Academy Awards for Best Music Director for the film “Badrinath Ki Dulhania” along with Amaal Mallik and Akhil Sachdeva in 2017
- Mirchi Music Award for Critics’ Choice Upcoming Music Composer of the Year for the song “Bolna” from the film “Kapoor & Sons” in 2016
- Singers: Michael Jackson, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Kiiara
- Guitarists: George Benson, Carlos Santana
- Actress: Deepika Padukone
- In his spare time, he either likes to sing or play sports like football or cricket. He also likes travelling.
- There is a tradition in his family that everyone has to choose their own surnames. Kanishk’s father’s surname is Das, and he took “Bagchi,” his grandfather’s surname as his last name.
- After he left learning the piano in childhood, Kanishk started to take interest in singing. The people liked his voice and started to offer him to sing in shows. He started earning by singing in shows and events.
- During his teens, he released his first album, which was recorded in Bengali. He released his album at a fair in Kolkata.
- Kanishk never took music seriously; as he thought that it was not a good career option; as it might make it difficult for him to support his family financially.
- Since his childhood, he was interested in studies and wanted to become a pilot.
- At the age of 12, he started to write songs in Hindi; because he loved it. He slowly began to sing and produce melodies.
- His mother encouraged him to learn music; because she wanted him to be a musician. Eventually, at the age of 15, he understood it and started to learn music from his father.
- According to Tanishk, the happiest memory of his childhood is when he sang for the first time for a radio channel. The song that he sang was “Nothing’s Gonna Change My Love for You” by George Benson.
- He gave his first on-stage performance at his college fest, where he sang the title song of the film “Dil Se” (1998) while playing the guitar. The crowd loved his performance and asked him to sing nine times at the event.
- In 2000, he came to Mumbai to make his career in the field of music. He started by taking up small works for the composition. He also worked for TV Channels and Bhajans as a ghost composer.
- Kanishk Bagchi and Vayu Shrivastava were spotted by Aanand L. Rai (director of Tanu Weds Manu Returns), who heard their single “Oopar Oopar,” which he liked and offered him to compose a song for his film.
- Kanishk is a big fan of A. R. Rahman, and Rahman’s album “Thiruda Thiruda” (1993) is his favourite one. Talking about it, Bagchi says-
It [had] the Blues and a lot of funk. It was something in the Michael Jackson space, yet so Indian and classical.”