Riteish Deshmukh is an Indian actor, producer, singer, and architect. He shot to fame with his role of “Dr Amar Saxena” in the film, “Masti.” Let’s find out some interesting facts about Ritesh Deshmukh.
Riteish Deshmukh was born on 17 December 1978 (age 39 years; as in 2018) in Latur, Maharashtra, India. He did his schooling from GD Somani Memorial School, Mumbai, and enrolled himself in Kamala Raheja School of Architecture, Mumbai, to attain a degree in architecture. Deshmukh, then, went abroad for a year to practice his profession with an architectural firm. He owns Evolution Architectural Design Studio Private Limited (an India-based architectural and interior designing firm). Later, he joined The Lee Strasberg Theatre & Film Institute, California, USA, to study theatre.
One day, while Deshmukh was holidaying with Subhash Ghai in London, cinematographer, Kabir Lal, met Riteish and offered him his first movie. It came as a surprise to him, as he never told anyone about his acting desires.
Height: 5’ 11”
Weight: 75 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Body Measurements: chest 40”, waist 32”, Biceps 12”
Family, Caste & Wife
Riteish Deshmukh belongs to a Marathi Hindu Family. His father, Late Vilasrao Deshmukh, was an Indian Politician. He has served as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra for two terms. His mother, Vaishali Deshmukh, is a homemaker.
Riteish has an elder brother, Amit Deshmukh, and a younger brother, Dheeraj Deshmukh. Both of them are politicians and associated with the Indian National Congress. Riteish himself is a loyal campaigner of the Indian National Congress.
Riteish met Genelia for the first time at the test shoot of ‘Tujhe Meri Kasam.’ Genelia, at first, ignored him as she had a perception that being a CM’s son, he might have been a spoilt brat. However, the duo got close to each other during the shoot of the film and started dating. Riteish dated Genelia for almost a decade before getting married to her on 3 February 2012. The couple has two sons. Their elder son, Riaan, was born on 24 November 2014 and their younger son, Rahyl, was born on 1 June 2016.
Riteish began his film career in 2003, with K. Vijay Bhaskar’s “Tujhe Meri Kasam” opposite Genelia D’Souza. The film performed average at the box office. In the same year, he appeared as Jaswinder in the film, Out of Control.
In 2004, Deshmukh performed a comic character in the comic thriller, “Masti.” His performance was praised in the film and also earned him two minor awards. It was his perfect comic timing in the movie, that established him as an actor. Ritesh’s first successful lead role was in the film, Kya Kool Hai Hum with Tusshar Kapoor. He also made guest appearances in Darna Zaroori Hai and Namastey London.
Deshmukh, then went on to star in successful movies like Housefull, F.A.L.T.U, and Double Dhamaal. In 2012, he appeared in Tere Nall Love Hogya opposite Genelia D’Souza. The movie was a commercial hit despite being of low-budget. He then starred in the sequels of his previously done film, Housefull 2, Kya Super Kool Hain Hum, and Grand Masti.
In 2014, Deshmukh made his debut as an antagonist (villain) in the romance-thriller, Ek-Villain. In the same year, he marked his acting debut in Marathi cinema with Lai Bhaari.
In 2013, Riteish produced a Marathi film titled Balak Palak. He also appeared as a judge in the dance reality series, India’s Dancing Superstar.
Apart from acting, the actor has also designed the interiors of Shah Rukh Khan’s production house, ‘Red Chillies Entertainment’, and Karan Johar’s house at the Union Park (Bandra).
- Riteish was criticized for taking Ram Gopal Varma to visit the Taj Hotel in Mumbai, just after the Mumbai terror attacks. The incident happened when Riteish’s father, Vilasrao Deshmukh, was serving as the Cheif Minister of Maharashtra. This matter was later politicized and it was believed that the visit was facilitated by Vilasrao Deshmukh in order to cast Riteish Deshmukh in Ram Gopal Varma’s upcoming film based on 26/11 attacks.
- During an award show, in 2016, Riteish cracked jokes on John Abraham and said that Abraham can never learn acting, even in the next 10-15 years.
- IIFA Award for the Best Performance in a Comic Role for the film, Housefull.
- IIFA Award for the Best Performance in a Comic Role for the film, Double Dhamal.
- Outstanding Performance by a regional language film for the film, Lal Bhaari.
- National Film Award for the film, “Yellow.”
Deshmukh’s car collection includes Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Mercedes Benz W221 S Class, Range Rover, Honda CR-V, and Tesla Model X SUV.
With a net worth of $30 million, Riteish gets paid ₹4-5 crore per film.
- His hobbies are playing cricket and singing.
- Riteish follows a Non-Vegetarian diet and loves to eat Mutton Biryani, Aamti, Puran Poli, Kohlapuri Fish, and Shrikhand.
- Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, The Notebook, and Jerry Maguire are his all-time favourite films.
- Inder Kumar is his most liked director.
- Riteish’s muck-liked sports are cricket and wrestling.
- Bret “The Hitman” Hart is his favourite wrestler.
- His most visited restaurant is Pali Bhawan in Mumbai.
- His favourite travel destination is Goa in India.
- Deshmukh loves listening to the song, “Tujhe Dekha To Ye Jana Sanam.”
- His favourite colour is blue.
- Riteish resides at 602, Worli Sagar Co-operative Housing Society, Purna Building, Worli, Mumbai.
- He has a tattoo on his right arm, just below the elbow.
- His friends and family fondly call him Navra.
- Riteish is 9 years older to his wife, Genelia.
- Riteish treated Genelia to a plate of Samosas on his first date.
- Riteish lovingly calls his wife, “Baiko.”
- He is so fond of number 1, that all his cars bear the number 1.
- Riteish’s younger brother, Dheeraj, is married to Jacky Bhagnani’s elder sister, Deepshikha Deshmukh.
- Deshmukh loves playing cricket and he owns “Veer Marathi” team in the Celebrity Cricket League.
- In 2006, he changed his initials from ‘Ritesh’ to ‘Riteish’, on the suggestion of a numerologist.