Neetu Singh is a veteran Bollywood actress. She started acting as a child artist with the name ‘Baby Sonia.’
Neetu Singh was born on Tuesday, 8 July 1958 (age 61 years; as in 2019), in Delhi. Her zodiac sign is Cancer. She did her schooling from Hill Grange High School, Mumbai. Filmfare
IMDB Height: 5′ 5″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
She was born in a Jatt Sikh family. Filmfare
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is Late Darshan Singh, and her mother’s name is Late Rajee Kaur. She is the only child of her parents. When she was too young, her father passed away. She was brought up by her mother.
Relationships, Husband & Children
She met the veteran Bollywood actor, Rishi Kapoor while shooting for a film. In 1979, Rishi Kapoor proposed her, and after dating for five years the couple tied the knot on 22 January 1980.
Their wedding was a hi-profile celebration held at the Chembur Golf Course Post in Mumbai and wedding reception was held at the RK Studio, Mumbai.
Neetu gave birth to her first child, Riddhima Kapoor Sahni on 15 September 1980. Riddhima is a fashion designer and married to the Delhi-based industrialist, Bharat Sahni. Neetu’s second child is the famous Bollywood actor, Ranbir Kapoor, who was born on 28 September 1982.
On 30 April 2020, Neetu’s husband, Rishi Kapoor passed away after a two-year-long battle with leukaemia in Mumbai.
She debuted as a child actor in the Bollywood film, ‘Suraj’ in 1966. She acted as a child actor in many Bollywood films, like ‘Dus Lakh’ (1966), ‘Do Kaliyaan’ (1968), ‘Waris’ (1969), and ‘Ghar Ghar Ki Kahani’ (1970).
She debuted as a female lead in ‘Rikshawala’ (1972). She was paired with her boyfriend or She was paired with Rishi Kapoor (her then-boyfriend) in 12 Bollywood films, including ‘Zehreela Insaan (1974), ‘Khel Khel Mein’ (1975), ‘Rafoo Chakkar’ (1975), ‘Kabhie Kabhie’ (1976), ‘Amar Akbar Anthony’ (1977), and ‘Dhan Daulat’ (1980).
After getting married to Rishi Kapoor, she left Bollywood at the age of 21. After almost 26 years, she made a comeback with the 2009 Bollywood film, ‘Love Aaj Kal;’ opposite her husband. Later, she appeared as a supporting actor in the films, like ‘Do Dooni Chaar’ (2010), ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ (2012), and ‘Besharam’ (2013).
Reportedly, in 1997, Neetu Singh filed a police complaint against her husband, Rishi Kapoor for being violent after drinking too much alcohol. Later, she denied it and termed it as rumours. India Forums In an interview, Neetu’s son, Ranbir shared the moments of his troubled childhood, he said
My parents had a very troubled marriage for a long time, and I was caught in the middle because I was there. Mom tried to make sure it didn’t affect us. She did that by being open about it, which was good. But let’s just say I didn’t grow up with any rose-tinted illusions about love. I learned the hard way how complicated a relationship between a man and woman could be. Sometimes the fights would get really bad. I would be sitting on the steps, my head between my knees, till five or six in the morning, waiting for them to stop.”
- Cuisines: Japanese and Lebanese
- Actor(s): Rajesh Khanna and Amitabh Bachchan
- Restaurant: China Garden in Mumbai
- Her real name is Harneet Kaur. Filmfare
- She learnt dancing from Vyjayanthimala’s dance school in Bombay.
- The legendary actress, Vyjayanthimala spotted Neetu and offered her the role of a child artist in the film ‘Suraj’ in 1966.
- Her mother, Rajee Singh played her reel mother in the Bollywood film ‘Rani Aur Lalpari’ (1975).
- When Rishi Kapoor was shooting for the Bollywood film, Barood (1976), he realised his love for Neetu Singh and wrote a telegram to her saying,
Sikhni badi yaad aati hai.”
- In an interview, Neetu shared that initially, her mother was not happy with her friendship with Rishi, she said,
My mom did not like it when she heard about our affair. She would get very upset when he would flirt with me. She didn’t know whether he would get married to me. I had to convince her that I wanted to go on a date with Rishi, but she would send my cousin with me as a chaperone. I lived with my mother Rajee Singh even after I got married. Since she was alone, Rishi felt that she should live with us, which was really very gracious of him.
- Reportedly, Neetu and Rishi got engaged to each other secretly while they had gone to attend a friend’s marriage.
- Neetu used to wrap up her shooting by 8 pm; as it was instructed by Rishi Kapoor.
- Her wedding mandap was used in Raj Kapoor’s film ‘Prem Rog’ (1982).
- In an interview, she shared her relationship with Ranbir Kapoor, she said,
There is a great bonding between Ranbir and me. He looks like me, talks like me and temperamentally we are so much alike whereas Riddhima is like her father, in looks as well as nature.”
- In 2011, Neetu and Rishi won Zee Cine Award for the Best Lifetime Jodi.
- Neetu’s handprint is preserved at the Walk of the Stars, an entertainment hall of fame at Bandra Bandstand in Mumbai with her name, Neetu Kapoor.
- Reportedly, she still gives pocket money to her son Ranbir Kapoor.
- She calls Ranbir “Raymond;” as she considers him a perfect man.
- She follows a non-vegetarian diet. Hindustan Times
- Her hobbies include cooking, gymming, and doing meditation.
References [ + ]