Poonam Sinha is an Indian politician and a former actress. She is the wife of actor turned politician Shatrughan Sinha.
Poonam Sinha was born as Poonam Chandiramani on 3 November 1949 (age 69 years; as in 2018) in Hyderabad. Her zodiac sign is Scorpio. Poonam was crowned Miss Young India in 1968. Subsequently, she started her acting career with the film “Jigri Dost.” Next, she appeared in the films Aadmi Aur Insaan and Aag Aur Daag. In 1973, she was cast opposite Shatrughan Sinha in the film “Sabak.” Thereafter, she featured in films like Shaitaan, Dil Diwana, and Dream Girl. Poonam gave up her acting career after she got married to Shatrughan Sinha. She has also produced the films Prem Geet and Mera Dil Leke Dekho.
On 16 April 2019, Poonam joined the Samajwadi Party in the presence of Akhilesh Yadav’s wife Dimple Yadav. She received the ticket from the party to contest in the Lok Sabha Elections from Uttar Pradesh’s Lucknow Constituency against the Union Home Minister, Rajnath Singh.
Height (approx.): 5’ 9”
Weight (approx.): 80 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Husband
Poonam belongs to a Sindhi Hindu Family. She is the cousin of the film producer, Pahlaj Nihalani.
Poonam met Shatrughan Sinha in 1965 while she was travelling from Patna to Mumbai. The couple dated each other for 7 years and tied a knot on 9 July 1980.
They have two sons, Luv Sinha and Kush Sinha. Both of them are actors. The couple also has a daughter, Sonakshi Sinha, who is a Bollywood actress.
- Her hobbies include reading books and cooking.
- She resides at 104, Green Star Apartments, Rizvi Complex, Sherly Rajan Road, Pali Hill, Mumbai.
- Before venturing into films, she adopted the screen name, Komal.
- Poonam was just 12 years old when she first met Shatrughan. They were on the opposite berths of the train. Shatrughan was mesmerised with her beauty and even wrote sweet nothings on the Madhuri Magazines but Poonam flung them away.
- Poonam again met Shatrughan after he was done with his graduation. The duo started meeting each other gradually and got into a relationship.