Suchitra Ella is the Co-founder and Director of Bharat Biotech International Limited.
Suchitra Ella was born in 1963 (age 56 years; as of 2021) in Thruthani, Tamil Nadu, India. She pursued graduation in BA Economics from Madras University. Later, she pursued a post-graduation diploma in patent law from Nalsar, Hyderabad. Suchitra also pursued a diploma in business development at UWCU Madison, South Carolina University, United States. Before returning to India, Suchitra, and her husband lived in the North and the laidback southern part of the US. They returned to India, in 1996 to set up a firm. Suchitra always wanted to join in her husband’s dream of manufacturing vaccines and making them affordable. They set up a firm in 1998 named, Bharat Biotech Private Limited. Bharat Biotech founded Covaxin, the first vaccine for COVID-19 to be fully developed, and manufactured in India along with the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR). The Economic Times
Suchitra Ella comes from a middle-class family.
Parents & Siblings
Suchitra’s father was a mining engineer, and her mother was a housewife. She has three sisters. Suchitra’s one sister lives in Hyderabad and the other two sisters live in Madras.
Husband & Children
Suchitra Elle’s husband’s name is Dr Krishna Ella. He is an alumnus of the University of Hawaii and the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He is an Indian scientist and entrepreneur and is also the founder and chairman of Bharat Biotech. Suchitra and her husband lived in the US, and in the year 1996, they returned back to India. Both Dr Krishna Ella and Suchitra grew up in Tamil Nadu.
Suchitra has two children, a son, whose name is Reechas Veerendra, and a daughter. Suchitra’s son is married to the Eenadu Group’s chairman Cherukuri Ramoji’s granddaughter, Sahari. Suchitra’ daughter is a dermatologist.
Before becoming an entrepreneur, Suchitra Ella worked in Waikiki Corporation and Woodman’s in the US in the customer operation department.
Co-founder of Bharat Biotech
In 1996, Suchitra and her husband Dr Krishna Ella after returning back to India, set up their firm in Hyderabad named, Bharat Biotech Limited, which is an Indian multinational biotechnological company, with its headquarter in Hyderabad. Suchitra Ella is the Co-founder and Joint managing director of the company. she invested capital of Rs. 12.5 crore and worked really hard to start the firm, from sourcing land to acquiring government permissions. Suchitra and her husband faced a lot of financial issues in the setting up of the firm. It almost took three years for the firm to launch its first product. The firm Bharat Biotech is engaged in drug development, drug discovery, manufacturing of vaccines, bio-therapeutics, pharmaceuticals and health care products. The company has 700 employees. It made waves in the world of vaccines for a long time, with remarkable vaccines against Hepatitis B, Swine Flu and the Zika Virus. Covaxin was developed by Bharat Biotech in collaboration with the Indian Council of Medical Research’s National Institute of Virology (NIV). It is one of the two COVID-19 vaccines, administered in the country since 16 January 2021. Bharat Biotech is one of the leading pharma companies in the country.
In 2017, Suchitra and her husband Dr. Krishna Ella got an order from the global vaccine alliance GAVI for the purchase of a new typhoid vaccine. Mrs. Ella is a strong pillar of support and guidance at Bharat Biotech, overseeing a wide range of operations in the company. Ella is responsible for new projects, HR and administration, corporate communication, and corporate affairs. Ella once said
“If my husband is the brain of the company I am the heart.”
As a Chairperson of CII
Suchitra Elle was the chairperson of the CII Andhra Pradesh state council in 2012-2013.
- Suchitra Ella was awarded Genome Valley Excellence Award on 22nd Feb 2021 at the inaugural event of Bio Asia 2021, for pioneering research, development, and commercialization of vaccines including Covaxin.
- Suchitra was honoured with, The International Women Entrepreneurial Challenge Award 2007, by the Chamber of Commerce of Barcelona.
- Suchitra also received the FLO GR8 Women Achievers Award 2008, for entrepreneurial excellence.
- Suchitra and her husband Dr. Krishna Ella received Padma Bhushan, in Hyderabad, on 73rd Republic day.
- Suchitra Ella was nominated as the Founding Chairwoman of the Indian Women Network of CII, which claims to provide a platform for working women to come forward and discuss their issues.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi also visited Bharat Biotech firm in Hyderabad and congratulated Suchitra Ella and the firm for their achievement for Covaxin.
- Suchitra likes reading books, listening to classical music, and loves travelling to historical and nature-filled locations. Suchitra at a young age travelled a lot. Vanitha TV
- According to Suchitra, in her school days, she was not allowed to commute by car so that she could learn to manage things on her own. She travelled by bicycle or by school bus.
- Suchitra is a passionate dynamic woman, who never stopped. She worked for more than 12 hours each day to set up Bharat Biotech. She even once said that her company was like her third child. She always overcame the challenges that came her way.
- Suchitra with the help of her firm provided the Government of India with one billion doses of Covaxin.
- According to Suchitra, Bharat Biotech is the second company in the world to manufacture mercury-free vaccines for Hepatitis B, and their vaccines are 99 per cent chemical-free.
- According to Suchitra Ella, two lakh doses of Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin approved by WHO(World Health Organization) was given to Vietnam.