Fatima Sana Shaikh is an Indian actress who rose to fame after playing the character of Geeta Phogat (an Indian wrestler who brought India’s first gold medal in wrestling at 2010 Commonwealth Games) in 2016 blockbuster movie, Dangal. The actress made her acting debut as a child artist with the 1997 film Chachi 420 with Kamal Haasan. She has featured in several films as well as TV series. For more information about this stunning star, continue reading with us.
She was born on 11th January 1992 (age 29 years; as of 2021) in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India. Her hometown is Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. Her family and friends call her by the name Fatty. She always wanted to be an actress and got the very first film of her life at the age of 5 in 1997, which was Chachi 420. In an interview, she told that she left acting in between after doing a child artist role as she was missing her school. But after some time, she became eager to acting and started going for auditions.
This budding actress is 5′ 7″ tall and weighs around 51 kg. She has dark brown eyes and her hair colour is black. Also, she has an hourglass figure.
Family & religion
Her father, Vipan Sharma, is a Hindu and belongs to Jammu, whereas her mother, Raj Tabbasum, is a Muslim from Srinagar.
In the 1980s, her father shifted to Mumbai and got married to Raj Tabassum there.
She did her schooling from St. Xavier High School, Mumbai and then did her graduation from Mithibai College, Mumbai. She was fond of acting since her childhood and always wanted to work in films.
Her dream of acting came true after she played a child artist’s role in the film Chachi 420. She was loved and appreciated by everyone for her job in the film.
In 2001, she did One 2 Ka 4; which was the second film of her career, starring prominent actors Juhi Chawla and Shah Rukh Khan.
Then, she played the character of Zoya in 2008 film Tahaan.
On 16 March 2009, she made her TV debut on a ZEE TV daily soap Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo; in which she played a negative character, Suman.
The same year, she appeared in another TV show Ladies Special. Later, she appeared in the films such as Bittoo Boss, Table No. 21, and Akaash Vaani but failed in making her place in the Indian film industry.
In the starting of 2015, she almost quit her acting dream as she didn’t get any work after giving numerous auditions. She decided to open a new chapter of her life and started working as a cinematographer.
Later in the same year, she made her Telugu film debut with the film Nuvvu Nenu Okkatavudam! and Tamil film debut with the film O Kadhal Kanmani.
In 2015, she got selected to play a lead role, Geeta Phogat in the highest-grossing movie of 2016, Dangal, after a long audition process. This movie was the first hit of her career and with her power-packed performance in the film, she came into the limelight instantly.
In the year 2018, Fatima Sana Shaikh honoured with the Best Action Actress Award for the movie Dangal at the 4th Jackie Chan Action Movie Week in China.
- When it comes to acting, she admires Shah Rukh Khan, Preity Zinta, Priyanka Chopra, and Deepika Padukone.
- Her all-time favourite movie is “American Psycho.”
- She prefers reading in her free time. Her favourite books include Only Love Is Real by Brian Weiss, Many Lives by Brian Weiss, Many Masters by Brian Weiss, and more.
- She is a huge fan of Brian Weiss; an American psychiatrist and author.
She owns a Hyundai Creta.
- She is a non-vegetarian.
- Fatima is a great photographer. She has worked as a photographer in a studio. She has also assisted as a cinematographer for two ads.
- She is an art lover. Her drawings and sketching are worth watching.
- In 2016, she appeared in Karan Johar’s show Koffee with Karan. In the show, she told that she was jobless for three years before she got the opportunity to be a part of Dangal.
- During the filming of Dangal, she stayed at Aamir Khan’s old apartment in Mumbai for 6 months along with Sanya Malhotra, Zaira Wasim, and Suhani Bhatnagar.
- To meet the requirements of her role for Dangal, she underwent a rigorous training for almost 6 months. She used to follow a strict routine which include gym, wrestle for 3 hours, have lunch, learn Haryanvi, have dinner, and then sleep.
- While rehearsing for a wrestling scene for Dangal, she misjudged the timing, and consequently, fractured her ankle.
- After getting Dangal, she became a very good friend to Sanya Malhotra. Both of them started spending a lot of time together even after the release of the film that few of their friends started thinking that they both are dating each other.
- She is a hub of talents. Apart from acting and photography, she is a brilliant dancer too.