Sonal Chauhan is an Indian actor, model, and singer, who mainly works in Hindi and Telugu films. She is the first Indian to win the Miss World Tourism title in 2005. She made her Bollywood debut with the film ‘Jannat’ (2008) in which she was paired opposite Emraan Hashmi.
Sonal Chauhan was born on Saturday, 16 May 1987 (age 36 years; as of 2022) Telly Chakkar in Bulandshahr/Agra, Uttar Pradesh. Her zodiac sign is Taurus. She did her schooling at Delhi Public School, Delhi. She then pursued her graduation in philosophy honours at Gargi College, University of Delhi, New Delhi. The Indian Express While she was in college, she started developing an interest in modelling.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Brown
Figure Measurements (approx.): 34-28-34
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Raghuraj Singh Chauhan, is a retired Uttar Pradesh Police Officer. Her mother’s name is Shivani Chauhan. Her sister, Himani Chauhan, is an associate creative director at Jio Studios. Her brother’s name is Vikram Chauhan.
She is unmarried.
At the beginning of her acting career, she dated the Indian businessman Sahil Jaroo, who was arrested in the Rahul Mahajan drug case (2006) for providing illegal drugs to the Indian reality show entertainer and ex-pilot Rahul Mahajan. In 2008, while Sonal was at the Jet Airways counter of the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport’s terminal 1-B to collect a boarding pass for a Hyderabad flight, she had a verbal argument with Sahil. The verbal spat heated up and Sahil slapped Sonal in public. He also snatched her mobile and threw it on the floor. Soon after the incident, the CISF officials posted at the airport arrested him under Sections 323 (causing hurt), 354 (outraging modesty of a woman), 448 (trespass), 509 (insulting modesty of a woman), and 427 (causing damage) of the Indian Penal Code. India Today
Neil Nitin Mukesh
In 2013, the rumours of her dating the Indian actor Neil Nitin Mukesh started while they were working together in the Hindi film ‘3G.’ In various interviews, Neil talked about his relationship with Sonal and even confirmed his marriage with her. However, when she was asked about it, she denied it and said she was only friends with Neil. Amar Ujala
In an interview, while talking about it, she said,
I am fond of Neil as a person. I don’t know what the future holds for me. He is a genuine guy. But I don’t know why he has been speaking of us this way. Marriage? Have I gone mad that I will marry at this point in my career? I am not in a relationship with him and I certainly don’t believe in casual flings. I know him from only four months and that’s a very short time to decide and take such a big decision.”
In 2017, various sources claimed that she was dating the Indian actor Abhimanyu Dassani who is the son of the Indian actress Bhagyashree. They were often spotted together at various events. Bollywood Bubble
K. L. Rahul
No, not at all we are not dating. He is a very good cricketer. He is very talented and a nice guy.”
Sonal started her career as a model. In 2005, she became Femina Miss India World Tourism and went on to win Miss World Tourism 2005 title at Miri, Sarawak state of Malaysia. While Miss Russia Natalya Pervova and Miss Lebanon Sandra Raymond El-Sayegh were declared first and second runners up respectively. In the final round of the beauty pageant, she was asked,
If I came to your country, where would you take me and why?
I would take you to Rishikesh to show you that there is still a place on earth where you can get peace and mental calm.”
She then appeared in TV commercials for various brands like Lay’s, Pepsi, Face Fresh Fairness Cream, Dish TV, and Safi.
Sonal has also appeared in print advertisements for various brands.
She has walked the ramp for many ace Indian fashion designers.
In 2008, she made her Bollywood debut with the film ‘Jannat’ in which she played the role of Zoya Mathur. Earlier, the makers of the film spotted her at a coffee shop and approached her for the film.
After appearing in the Hindi films ‘Bbuddah… Hoga Terra Baap’ (2011), ‘Pehla Sitara’ (2012), and ‘3G’ (2013), she took a break from Hindi films.
After almost five years, she appeared in the Hindi film ‘Paltan’ (2018). In 2023, she played the role of Mandodari in the bilingual (Hindi-Telugu) film ‘Adipurush.’
In 2008, she made her Telugu film debut with the film ‘Rainbow’ as Swapna.
Some of her other Telugu films are ‘Legend’ (2014), ‘Sher’ (2015), ‘Size Zero’ (2015), ‘Ruler’ (2019), and ‘F3: Fun and Frustration’ (2022).
In 2010, she played the role of Prakruthi in her debut Kannada film ‘Cheluveye Ninne Nodalu.’
In 2019, she played the role of Meenakshi Pirzada in the ZEE5 Hindi series ‘Skyfire.’
In 2006, she made her debut in the music videos with “Samjho Na Kuch To Samjho Na” by Himesh Reshammiya.
Some of her other Hindi music videos are “Fursat” (2016) by Arjun Kanungo, “Badtameez” (2016) by Ankit Tiwari, “Kuch Nahi” (2018) by Jyotica Tangri, and “Mere Aas Paas” (2019) by Yasser Desai, Jyotica Tangri.
She has lent her voice to the song “Kaise Bataaoon” from the Hindi film ‘3G’ (2013).
- 2009: Nominated for Best Female Debut by 54th Filmfare Awards for the Hindi film Jannat
- 2012: Nominated for Superstar of Tomorrow-Female by Stardust Awards
- 2012: Nominated for Breakthrough Performance – Female for the Hindi film Bbuddah… Hoga Terra Baap by Stardust Awards
- 2016: Nominated for Rising Star of the Year for the Telugu film Pandaga Chesko & Size Zero by Zee Telugu Apsara Awards
- 2017: Won Most Promising Actress for the Telugu film Dictator by TSR–TV9 National Film Awards
- 2017: Most Stylish Award by CAMA
- Audi A6
- Mercedes Benz E-Class
- Hyundai Creta
- Maruti Ciaz
On the back of her right shoulder- ‘Angel is Devil’ with wings
In 2021, her net worth was approx Rs 2 million to 5 million.
- Actor: Shah Rukh Khan
- Actress: Kajol
- Film(s): Before Sunrise (1995), Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
- Kardashian: Chloe
- Dessert: Vanilla Pound Cake
- Style Icon: Audrey Hepburn
- Colour: Patel Shades
- Fashion Brand(s): Zara, H&M, Forever 21
- Fashion Designer(s): Zuhair Murad, Rohit Bal, Tanieya Khanuja
- Food: Fried Chicken, Chocolates, Prawns, Momos, Butter Chicken with Butter Naan
- Travel Destination: Paris
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Fruit(s): Mango, Litchi
- Book: Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez
- Social Media Platform: Instagram
- In an interview, she shared that it was difficult for her to make a career in the glamour industry as she was born to a conservative family and a strict father. She said,
I belong to a conservative family. My father was a police inspector and he was quite strict. When I thought of making a career in the glamour industry, it was quite difficult to convince him initially, but when I won the title of Miss World Tourism things started shaping up in my favour in my family. My father and family started supporting me. as they felt that I would do well in this industry.”
- She once shared that had she not become an actor, she would be a journalist.
- Sonal has been featured on the cover of many popular magazines such as FHM, Femina, Lifestyle, Stuff, Maxim, and Cultured Magazine.
- She loves collecting footwear and watches. In an interview, while talking about it, she said,
I have a thing for shoes. I recently bought these really cool LED light-up sneakers from Selfridges in London. I used to be a heels person, but now I love sneakers. I think I can live in them. I’m obsessed with watches too. The one I’m most attached to is my first watch: an Ulysse Nardin.”
- Sonal Chauhan once engaged in a conversation about nepotism in Bollywood. Her viewpoint on the matter was that she doesn’t have an issue with nepotism, as she believes individuals have the right to invest their money wherever they choose without any wrongdoing. She did, however, express her belief that favouritism plays a significant role in the industry, which is a natural occurrence. Sonal highlighted that the problem arises when a talented person’s work is overshadowed by someone less talented, which can be genuinely disheartening. The Times of India
- In 2015, Sonal Chauhan experienced a burglary at her residence in Greater Noida. The burglars stole cash and jewellery amounting to Rs 40 lakh, along with Sonal’s Miss World Tourism crown, which she had won in 2005. Sonal herself at the time of the incident was out of her town, but her mother, Shivani Chauhan, and sister-in-law, Stuti Chauhan, were present in the house during the burglary. They had gone to the market when the thieves broke in, according to the police. Sonal’s brother, Vikram Chauhan, shared that his sister’s crowns, along with Rs 3.5 lakh in cash and jewellery, were stolen, resulting in an estimated loss of Rs 40 lakh. An FIR was filed against unidentified individuals at Kasna police station, and a forensics team examined the house. Vikram mentioned that he and his father had been away in their native place, Mainpuri, Uttar Pradesh, during the incident. He suspects that the crime was planned as someone overheard his mother instructing the domestic help not to come in the evening. This suggests that the perpetrators might have conducted a prior reconnaissance of the house. Sonal’s mother and sister-in-law became aware of the situation when they had trouble unlocking the second gate, which was jammed. They heard noises coming from inside the single-story house in Sector Beta-2. After raising an alarm, the neighbours responded, but the burglars had already fled with the cash and valuables by the time the gate was opened. According to Vikram, a neighbour spotted two individuals behind their house, who fled when confronted. Additionally, a man in a yellow shirt was seen behind the house, seemingly coordinating with the burglars inside. Vikram suspects that this person may be known to the family since they were aware of the location of the valuables. The Superintendent of Police (rural), Brijesh Singh, mentioned that five teams were formed to apprehend the culprits, and several individuals had been detained. The police are also in the process of obtaining CCTV footage from nearby areas. The Times of India
- To maintain her fitness, she regularly practices Yoga.
- She is an avid animal lover and has posted various pictures with dogs on her Instagram account.
- She is a spiritual person and often visits various religious places.
- In 2016, she received around 8000 roses from one of her fans.
- In her leisure time, she loves to travel, read books, and do swimming.