Divya Bharti was an Indian actress who worked in Bollywood and Telugu films. She is best known for playing the role of ‘Kajal’ in the romantic drama “Deewana.” Divya was one of the most popular and top paid actresses of her time.
Divya Bharti was born on 25 February 1974 (age 19 years; at the time of her death) in Bombay (Now Mumbai).
She passed her 9th standard from Mumbai’s Maneckji Cooper High School and dropped her studies to become a model. She aspired to become an actress since childhood. At the age of 14, she started working as a model.
Height: 5’ 4”
Weight: 60 kg
Hair Colour: 34-26-36
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Figure Measurements: Black (Dyed Brown)
Family, Caste & Husband
Divya was born into a Hindu Family but she adopted Islam after her marriage. She was the daughter of Om Prakash Bharti and Meeta Bharti. She had a brother named Kunal Bharti.
Divya had a step-sister named Poonam Bharti.
Actress Kainat Arora was her cousin sister.
Divya got married to Sajid Nadiadwala, a producer and director on 10 May 1992.
Divya started her career as a model and after many unsuccessful projects, she made her film debut with the Telugu film “Bobbili Raja.” Subsequently, she featured in several high grossing films and became a popular face of Telugu Cinema. At the age of 15, she achieved the title of a superstar.
In 1992, Bharti made her Bollywood debut with the film “Vishwatma.” Though the film performed average at the box office, it remained in limelight for its track “Saat Samundar Paar” which was a huge hit among the audience.
In the period between 1992 to 1993, Divya acted in over 14 Bollywood films including “Shola Aur Shabnam,” “Dil Aashna Hai,” and “Deewana.”
In addition to acting, Divya had also performed at various concerts in India and abroad.
Divya Bharti often made it to news headlines for her habit of taking drugs at an early age of 16. It was also suspected to be one of the reasons behind her mysterious demise.
Her salary as an actress was ₹25 lacs per film.
Divya Bharti died on 5 April 1993 (age 19 years, at the time of death) at her residence in Tulsi Apartments, Versova, Andheri West, Mumbai. Reportedly, she was talking to her dress designer Neeta Lulla and Dr. Shyam when she went to her kitchen and sat on its window on the balcony side. She lost her balance and fell off from the window of her apartment. She was rushed to the hospital but the doctors declared her dead. However, the reason for her death is still a mystery. While some concluded the possibility of her committing suicide, others thought it was a conspiracy or a horrible murder.
- Food: Maharashtrian Cuisines, South Indian Cuisines, Italian
- Divya Bharti was often spotted smoking and drinking alcohol at the parties.
- Her hobbies included swimming, dancing, and playing lawn tennis.
- Bharti was one of the top paid actresses of her time. She even made a record of signing more than 12 films as a newcomer.
- Divya Bharti was signed for a film titled “Gunaho Ka Devta” (1988), but, later, she was replaced by Sangeeta Bijlani in the film.
- Bharti was also replaced by Juhi Chawla in the film “Radha Ka Sangam” (1992). It was suspected that her role got cancelled because of her bubbly and childish behaviour.
- Bharti was a religious person and used to visit the temple every day.
- She was born as Divya Om Prakash Bharti but changed her name to Sana Nadiadwala after her marriage.
- During one of her interviews, she mentioned that she chose to be an actress as she did not want to study.
- Bharti was honoured with a Filmfare award for Lux New Face of the Year for her performance in the film Deewana. She was among the few actresses who won a Filmfare award at a very early age.
- At the time of her death, Divya was engaged in various Bollywood and Tollywood projects which were partially completed. Her partially completed projects included Laadla, Andolan, Mohra, Vijaypath, and Tholi Muddhu, which later went to other actresses.