Ashoke Pandit is an Indian film & TV director, producer, and social activist. In 2022, he filed a complaint against the Indian actress Richa Chadda at the Juhu Police Station in Mumbai for her sarcastic comment on the Indian Army. As of 2022, he is the president of the Indian Film & Television Directors’ Association.
Ashoke Pandit was born on Wednesday, 11 May 1966 (age 57 years; as of 2023) in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. His zodiac sign is Taurus.
During his college days, he used to participate in various theatre plays as an actor and director. Later, he joined the Indian People’s Theatre Association, Mumbai.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Niranjan Nath Pandit, and his mother’s name is Nirmala Pandit.
Wife & Children
On 25 June 1988, he got married to the Indian singer Neerja Pandit. His son, Raj Pandit, is a singer. His daughter, Shaarika Pandit, is a casting director.
Ashoke started his career as a director. He has directed many Hindi documentaries like Kashmiri Pandit Refugees, Sharnarthi Apne Desh Mein, And The World Remained Silent, and A Village of Widows. His documentary ‘And The World Remained Silent’ was screened at the International Film Festival in Goa, Pune International Film Festival, and Mumbai Academy of Moving Images (MAMI) in Mumbai, and it received a standing ovation at the House of Commons in London.
In the 1980s, he worked as an associate director in Zee TV’s Hindi show ‘Filmi Chakkar.’ He then worked as a director in many Hindi TV shows like ‘Hanste Khelte’ (1997), ‘Colgate Top 10’ (1998), and ‘Tere Mere Sapne’ (2009).
In 2004, he made his debut as a director in Bollywood with ‘Sheen.’
In 2018, Ashoke was appointed as the president of the Indian Film & Television Directors’ Association, Mumbai. He worked as a co-producer in the Hindi film ‘The Accidental Prime Minister’ (2019). He has also worked as a motivational speaker at events like the Indian Association of New Zealand (2018) and India For Kashmir Conclave, Pune (2019).
Ashoke is a social activist too. He has been associated with various philanthropic activities for a very long time.
- 1999: Radio and TV Advertising Practitioners’ Association of India award for Sharnarthi Apne Desh Mein
- 2010: Indian Television Academy Award for Best Documentary for A Village of Widows
- He is often invited to the guest panel in various news debate shows.
- He is a religious person and a devotee of Lord Ganesha.
- During an interview, he shared that most of his documentaries are based on the struggles of Kashmiri Pandit and knew the struggles they had to face. He said,
My family was among the displaced and I worked in the refugee camps and saw the pain and anger from close quarters.”
- In November 2022, the Indian actress Richa Chadda reacted to Northern Army Command Lieutenant General Upendra Dwivedi’s statement on Twitter and wrote ‘Galwan says Hi,’ which put her at the centre of controversy. Although she later deleted her tweet and shared an apology note on social media. Ashoke Pandit filed a complaint against her at the Juhu Police Station in Mumbai for passing such a comment.