Amit Singh Thakur is an Indian actor who has acted in theatre plays, films, and TV serials with a combined acting career spanning four decades. He has also worked as head of operations in a production company and established his own company which makes TV promos.
Amit Singh Thakur was born on Sunday, 29 September 1963 (age 59 years; as of 2023) in Mumbai, Maharashtra. His zodiac sign is Libra. He started acting at an age of 8 years and participated in school plays. He studied commerce at Narsee Monjee College of Commerce & Economics. Mumbai. He completed his graduation from Mumbai University. He was interested in theatre and became a full-time actor after completing his studies.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper (half bald)
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His parents passed away when he was 23 years old.
Wife & Children
His wife’s name is Vanita Thakur. He has a daughter named Akanksha Thakur, and a son named Rahil Thakur who is a chef.
He started acting in theatre dramas in 1979 and was trained professionally in Hindi and Gujarati dramas. He has acted in more than 80 plays and acted for almost 10 years in theatre dramas. He then decided to work in Bollywood films.
Amit Singh Thakur worked as a child actor at an age of 8 years in the film Upaasna released in 1971 starring Sanjay Khan and Mumtaz. He later tried to find work in movies after working in theatre for some time and was cast as the main hero in the film Kaafila opposite Juhi Chawla and even shot a few scenes; however, the film took more than 5 years to be made and Amit started having hair fall which ended his hopes of becoming a hero. He later worked in many films like Aankhen starring Amitabh Bachchan, Aarakshan starring Ajay Devgn, and Race 3 starring Saif Ali Khan.
After an unsuccessful film career, he started acting in TV serials in 1996. He has acted in many TV serials like X-Zone, Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand, Dhoondte Reh Jaoge, Daayan, Mai, and Bohot Pyaar Karte Hai. He has worked in more than 72 TV serials. In 2011, he decided to take a break from TV serials as he was getting bored with the similar type of roles he was getting. He later started working again as an actor in different TV serials.
In 2011, he ventured into production and started working as deputy chief of Operations at Shashi Sumeet productions Private Limited. In 2013, he was promoted to the post of head of operations in the same company. In 2015, he was again promoted to EVP line production and promos; however, he quit the job due to health issues in 2017. After recovering, he started his own TV promo-making company AST entertainment and hospitality, and his first TV promo was the TV promo for Kaun Banega Crorepati.
- Amit Singh Thakur wanted to become a Bollywood hero; however, he lost his hair in his 20s which shattered his dreams. Even after trying expensive hair fall treatments, his hair did not grow back.
- Amit Singh Thakur played the role of Liaquat Ali Khan, the first PM of Pakistan, in the docuseries Samvidhaan directed by Indian director Shyam Benegal, and the role of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, India’s first Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister, in the docudrama Khaar.
- His nickname is Raju.
- He likes travelling and has travelled to Cape Town in South Africa and Niagra Falls in North America.
- He was awarded the Zee Rishtey Award for the category of Favorite Saas Sasur in the television serial named Kasauti Zindagi Ki.
- He likes to grow plants at his house. He is a pet lover as well.
- He was awarded the best student in dramatics award in his college.