Anupriya Goenka is an Indian actress who works mainly in Bollywood and South Indian Film Industry. She is known for her role of ‘Nagmati’ in the film “Padmaavat” (2018).
Anupriya Goenka was born on Friday, 29 May 1987 (age 32 years; as in 2019) in the Kanpur City of Uttar Pradesh. Her zodiac sign is Gemini. She did her schooling from Gyan Bharati School in Saket, New Delhi and did her BCom from Shaheed Bhagat Singh College in New Delhi.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Anupriya Goenka belongs to a Marwari family. Magzter Her father, Ravindra Kumar Goenka, a former garment entrepreneur, and her mother, Pushpa Goenka is a homemaker. She has two elder sisters and a brother.
She is rumoured to be dating an actor, Vaibhav Raj Gupta.
Anupriya Goenka came to Mumbai in 2008. In Mumbai, she started working in the corporate sector, where she found herself been drawn to theatre. Later, she brought a house in Thane, and her family followed her to the city of dreams. At the same time, she also started acting in theatre. However, she had to shuffle her career between acting and corporate sector. She began acting in commercials, and in 2013, came into limelight when she became the face of UPA Government’s “Bharat Nirman” ad campaign.
She further gained popularity in 2015, with her portrayal of a lesbian character in India’s first-ever lesbian advertisement for the Indian fashion e-commerce company Myntra.
She has appeared in the advertisement of various popular brands, Coke, Garnier, Stayfree, Kotak Mahindra, Pepperfry, and Dabur.
She has also worked as a host for the home shopping channel ShopCJ for more than a year. She made her acting debut with the Hindi short “Worth the Kiss” in 2013.
In the same year, she made her Telugu debut with the film “Potugadu” as ‘Mary.’
She made her Bollywood debut with the film “Bobby Jasoos” in 2014 as ‘Afreen.’
She made her television debut with the show “Stories by Rabindranath Tagore” (2015) on EPIC channel in which, she portrayed the role of ‘Mrignoyonee.’
She made her Punjabi and Haryanvi language debut with the 2017 bilingual film “Vekh Baraatan Challiyan,” where she made a special appearance as ‘Saroj.’ She has acted in many Indian films, Paathshala (2014), Daddy (2017), Tiger Zinda Hai (2017), Padmaavat (2018), and War (2019). She made her web debut with “Sacred Games (2018-19).”
She has acted in a number of web and television series such as Sacred Games (2018-19), Criminal Justice (2019), Panchali (2019), and Asur (2020).
In 2019, Anupriya and makers of the web series ‘Panchali’ got into a feud; as makers of the web series accused Anupriya of being unprofessional for not promoting the show. After allegations by the makers of the show, Anupriya released her statements regarding the controversy. In an interview, sharing her part of the story, she said, https://www.ibtimes.co.in/anupriya-goenka-accuses-panchali-web-series-makers-wrongfully-make-her-shoot-intimate-scenes-800814" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">IB Times-Internet Archive
The first three intimate scenes were to be shot in silhouette and dim light and no scene of any intimate nature was to extend beyond 30 seconds each. During the shoot of the first 3 scenes, as if was fully lit, I was once again reassured that in post the scenes would be dimmed and on edit the scenes wouldn’t extend beyond what discussed. Again to realise that once again I was manipulated and as each scene was released for a duration of 3 to 4 minutes in bright light. I felt let down and admit did not want to promote the project at all, but after having a talk with Mr. Sushant Singh (CINTAA HEAD), I agreed to go promote the series. My PR team, in fact even followed up with their PR team for PR strategy, dates, constantly. Asked for details of interviews they planned with journalists but nothing was ever shared with us. They only wanted me to have a picture with the CEO of Ullu to put on medianet in TIMES. In spite of all the bad blood I was willing to promote the series, but I can’t be made to promote a channel in particular or act as their brand ambassador.”
- Cuisine: Continental
- Colours: White, Red, Black
- Perfume: Beautiful by Estée Lauder
- She was born in Kanpur, but after a few years of her birth, her family shifted to Delhi, due to their failed business in Kanpur.
- After completing high school, she worked at a call centre and then in the corporate sector. Meanwhile, she got an opportunity to attend a one-month workshop by the National School of Drama (NSD), and it piqued her interest in theatre.
- After completing her schooling, at the age of 18, she starting helping her father in his business. The business failed, which made her come to Jaipur with her family and work in the corporate sector and became the breadwinner of the family.
- In 2008, she visited her maternal grandparent’s house in Mumbai for a month and a half for business purposes. She instantly fell in love with the city and decided to work there, and the rest is history.
- The Indian actor, theatre director, and acting coach Neeraj Kabi is her mentor. Anupriya met Kabi during the workshop by NSD and started to learn acting from him. Talking about it, she said,
Neeraj sir, is my first acting teacher. One can say that he introduced me to acting. I remember how I used to go to his class from my corporate job, always scared of getting late.. as he wouldn’t have it and how my leaving at 530pm was the most confusing thing for my boss.. At that time it was just something I was doing to explore something different.. for some soul searching.. never thought of it as a career and Neeraj sir made me fall in love with acting..”
- She also auditioned for the lead role in Salman Khan‘s film, Sultan, but failed to make it in the film. Talking about it, she said,
I was auditioned for ‘Sultan’ for the lead role in 2015. My auditions were very detailed as it was for the female lead. They took around 10-11 auditions for it in the span of 2 weeks. It was very hectic and tiring for me. My base was in sync with the casting team though it didn’t work out.”
- She was set to make her acting debut with Rohan Sippy directorial 24-episodes infinite series “Yakshi.” The pilot episode for the show was shot, but somehow, the show got shelved.
- She credits Pradeep Sarkar (Writer & Director) who selected her for a political ad campaign, for her initial success in the industry. Talking about him, she says,
It was an advertisement of a sanitary napkin by Pradeep Sarkar from where he selected me for that political ad campaign. It was Pradeep Sarkar who instilled confidence in me and changed my perception towards Bollywood. Initially, I was scared of Bollywood but after working with dada (Pradeep Sarkar) I felt that good people are there in this industry. Dada was instrumental in my initial success.”
- She is an active philanthropist and is associated with ‘Down to Earth’ organization. In an interview, she revealed that one of her brothers has cerebral palsy, therefore, she wishes to work with such special children. She further stated that she also wanted to work for women.
- Apart from acting, she is also good at painting.
- She is an animal lover and owns a dog named ‘Sugar.’