Taapsee Pannu is an Indian actress and model who works mainly in Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam and Hindi films. She is among the few South Indian actresses to have had 7 releases in a single year (2011). Taapsee came into the limelight after playing the role of ‘Minal Arora’ in the Bollywood film “Pink.”
Taapsee Pannu was born on Saturday, 1 August 1987 (age 32 years; as in 2019) in New Delhi. Her zodiac sign is Leo.
She has spent her childhood in Ludhiana, Punjab. Taapsee did her schooling from Delhi’s Mata Jai Kaur Public School and went to Guru Tegh Bahadur Institute Of Technology to pursue B.Tech in Computer Science. Taapsee was good at studies in her school and college days and wanted to make her career in the mathematics field. She actively participated in co-curricular activities in her school days.
While in college, Taapsee started taking part in modelling competitions and gradually, started receiving various commercial modelling projects. She did a number of ads to manage her daily expenses. After completing her graduation, Taapsee worked as a software engineer for some time.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
Taapsee Pannu belongs to a Jat Sikh Family. Her father, Dilmohan Singh Pannu, is a real estate agent and her mother, Nirmaljeet Pannu is a homemaker. She has a younger sister, Shagun Pannu.
Taapsee was in a relationship with the Tamil actor, Mahat Raghavendra for two years.
She was then, reported to be dating Saqib Saleem (actor). However, the actor later refused the dating rumours and said that they were just good friends.
Tappsee was also rumoured to be in a relationship with Denmark’s badminton player, Mathias Boe. However, the couple broke up after a while due to misunderstandings.
Tapsee started her modelling career in 2004 by participating in Channel V’s talent show Get Gorgeous. Subsequently, she did many print and television commercials. In 2008, she participated in ‘Miss India’ beauty pageant and won the titles ‘Pantaloons Femina Miss Fresh Face’ and ‘Safi Femina Miss Beautiful Skin.’ Later, she endorsed brands like “Reliance Trends,” “Coca-Cola,” “Pantaloon,” “Tata Docomo,” and “Vardhman.”
In 2010, Taapsee decided to quit modelling and make a career in acting. She made her acting debut with the Telugu film “Jhummandi Naadam.”
In the same year, Taapsee made her Tamil debut with the film “Aadukalam.” The film was a huge commercial success and Taapsee’s acting was praised by the audience.
In 2011, she made her Malayalam film debut with the film “Doubles.”
Taapsee made her Bollywood debut in 2013 with the film “Chashme Baddoor.” Subsequently, she featured in films like “Baby,” “Pink,” “Running Shaadi,” “Dil Juunglee,” and “Judwaa 2.”
In 2018, her role as a ‘Harpreet’ in the Bollywood movie ‘Soorma’ was critically acclaimed by the viewers.
In 2019, Taapsee played the role of ‘Prakashi Tomar’ in Tushar Hiranandani’s biographical drama “Saand Ki Aankh.”
- In 2012, after the Filmfare awards in Chennai, there were rumours that Taapsee was the reason behind the fight between the Kollywood actor, Mahat Raghavendra and Tollywood actor, Manchu Manoj.
- In September 2018, post the release of her film ‘Manmarziyaan’ (2018), few members of the Sikh Community objected to the smoking scenes in the film by the Sikh characters. As a damage control measure, the producers of the film deleted those objectionable scenes. Taapsee Pannu, who was upset with the deletion of the scenes responded to the controversy with her tweets and enraged the people.
- In 2019, Taapsee was trolled on Twitter for making a tweet on a man killing his 19-year-old girlfriend, in which she alluded to Sandeep Vanga’s ‘slap’ interview. People termed her sarcastic tweet to be insensitive.
Awards & Honours
- Santosham Film Awards for Best Actress (Jury) for the film Mr Perfect (2012)
- South Africa India Film And Television Awards for Debut Actor of the Year – Female for the film “Chashme Baddoor” (2013)
- Edison Awards for Most Enthusiastic Performer-Female Award for the film “Arrambam” (2014)
- Lux Golden Rose Awards for Rising Star Of The Year, FiIms of India Online Awards for Special Jury Awards for the film “Pink” (2017)
- Hindustan Times (HT) Most Stylish Awards for HT Most Stylish Breakthrough Performer (2018)
- GeoSpa AsiaSpa Award for Best Actress Critics(Female) for the film Naam Shabana (2018)
She owns a BMW X3 and a Mercedes-Benz GLE.
Salary &Net Worth
Taapsee Pannu gets paid around Rs. 60-70 lakh per film. Her net worth is estimated to be Rs. 6 Crore ($1 million).
- Food: Chinese Cuisines, Parathas, Chole Puri, Kachori, Papri Chaat
- Dessert: Danish Pastries, Chocolate Pudding
- Travel Destinations: Europe, Maldives
- Films: Rockstar (2011), The Twilight Series (2008-2012)
- Song: “Dhichkyaaon” from the film ‘Chashme Baddoor’
- Cartoon Character: Powerpuff Girls
- Sport: Squash
- Her hobbies include reading, riding bikes, playing squash, and dancing.
- While, Taapsee was in the second year of her college, she appeared for a CAT exam and scored 88 percentile, but she did not get admission in MBA in her desired college.
- Taapsee was inclined towards dance since her childhood. She has received training in Kathak and Bharatnatyam from the popular Birju Maharaj’s disciple for 8 years. She has won many Inter College Dance Competitions.
- Taapsee has earned the moniker ‘Goddess of flop heroes’ as she has worked with many South-Indian flop heroes.
- She has featured on the covers of magazines like “Just For Women” and “MaaStars.”
- Besides a successful actress, she is also a very good squash player.
- In addition to being an actor, Taapsee is also an entrepreneur. She co-owns an event management company “The Wedding Factory.”
- She has got a tattoo inked on her left leg.
- During an interview, Taapsee shared that she wanted to marry a guy who was not from the film industry.
- She is popular among her fans with the names “Maggie,” “Glam-Doll,” and “Goddess of Flop Heroes.”
- While shooting for the court scene in the film “Pink” Taapsee went down with a viral infection and decided to get her voice dubbed from a dubbing artist. However, later, Shoojit Sircar asked Pannu to do that herself; as it would add more authenticity to the scenes.
- Taapsee took martial arts classes for a while, as she wanted to do all the action scenes in the film “Baby” herself.