Rajshri Deshpande is an Indian actor and activist. She gained international fame with her film, ‘Angry Indian Goddesses’ (2015); in which she played the role of Laxmi.
Rajshri Deshpande was born on Thursday, 14 October 1982 (age 37 years; as in 2019), in Aurangabad, Maharashtra. Her zodiac sign is Libra. She did her graduation in Law from Symbiosis Law College, and a post-graduate degree in advertising from Symbiosis College, Pune. She holds a diploma in film-making from Whistling Woods International in Mumbai. Wikipedia
Height (approx.): 5′
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
She was born in a Hindu Maharashtrian family.
Parents & Siblings
Her parents are retired government employees. She has two elder sisters, out of which one is a doctor and other is a teacher.
Relationships, Husband & Children
She is married to Nawdeep Puranik and does not have any child.
As an Actor
In 2012, she debuted in the Bollywood film, ‘Talaash;’ in which she played the role of Priya. She did a cameo role in the Hindi film, ‘Kick’ in 2014. Some of her other Hindi films are ‘Angry Indian Goddesses’ (2015), ‘Mumbai Central’ (2016), ‘Manto’ (2018), ‘Kanpuriye’ (2019).
In 2012, she made her television debut in the Sony TV’s serial, ‘Kuch to Log Kahenge.’ She played the role of Agent Veena in the Colors TV serial, ’24’ (2013). In 2016, she acted in a trilingual film, ‘Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani?’ She has appeared in Malayalam films like ‘Haram’ (2014) and ‘Sexy Durga’ (2017).
In 2018, she was seen in the British Television series, ‘McMafia;’ in which she played the role of Manju. She has acted in a few web-series, including ‘Sacred Games’ (2018) and ‘Parchhayee’ (2019). She was roped in the Amazon Original series, ‘Gormint,’ ‘Nirvana-Inn’, and ‘Kanpuriye.’ She was roped in the 2020 Netflix film, ‘Choked’ starring Saiyami Kher and Roshan Mathew. She has also featured in a few TV commercials.
As a Social Activist
Apart from acting, she is actively involved in various social activities. In 2014, she worked with one of the international NGOs to help the people who were affected due to Nepal earthquake. In 2015, she adopted a drought-prone village in the Marathwada region of Maharashtra called ‘Pandhari.’ She started the Nabhangan Foundation (www.nabhanganfoundation.org) in 2018. She is also associated with the popular Bollywood actress, Juhi Chawla’s NGO to control plastic pollution.
Rajshri Deshpande received the Best Actor (Female) in a Drama Series award for ‘Trial by Fire’ at the Filmfare OTT Awards on 26 November 2023.
- She is trained in Kathakali, Kalari, and sword fighting.
- She used to work as a part-time dance teacher to meet her expenses while she was in college.
- She has her own advertising and film agency, ‘Czar Content.’
- She has learnt acting under Rob Reece’s Actors Studio and Naseeruddin Shah’s Method School.
- She has worked in more than 30 short films and one of her short films, ‘For Hire’ (2012), was the part of the Cannes Short Film Circuit.
- She has received various awards for her films and social activities.
- She is an animal lover and owns a pet dog, Stella.
- In 2018, her bold scene with the popular Bollywood actor, Nawazuddin Siddiqui in the Netflix web-series, ‘Sacred Games’ made a huge controversy. In an interview, when she was asked about doing such bold scenes on screen, she said,
I was concerned because I come from a typical middle-class Maharashtrian family. But my mother has been very supportive. She knows and approves of the choices I have made in my life. My husband is also extremely supportive. Though he is not from this industry, he is very progressive. He is also my biggest critic, so when he saw my work and loved it, that gave me a high.”
- Rajshri is a Palestine supporter. After receiving the Best Actor (Female) award at the Filmfare OTT Awards on 26 November 2023, she dedicated her win to the people of Gaza. India Today