Khushbu Sundar is a prominent South Indian actress, film producer, and television presenter who has joined Indian politics in 2010. She has performed in more than 200 Indian films. Khushbu has received three Tamil Nadu State Film Awards including the Kalaimamani award by the Tamil Nadu government for her excellent contribution to cinema. She also earned a Kerala State Film Award in 2006.
Khushbu Sundar was born as Nakhat Khan on Tuesday, 29 September 1970 (age 51 years; as of 2021) in Bombay, Maharashtra, India. Indian Express Her zodiac sign is Libra. She obtained her Upper Primary education at Swami Muktananda High School, Andheri, Mumbai. NDTV
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her mother’s name is Najma Khan.
Her father’s name is not known. Khushbu walked out of her father’s house when she was sixteen years old along with her mother and three brothers. In an interview, in 2018, she stated,
I rebelled very early when I decided to speak against my father and take my mother and brothers out of the family. Because I did not like the way he said that a woman’s position is somewhere. He was an abusive husband.”
She further explained her family circumstances,
I still remember the date. It was September 12, 1986. My father told me that one day, you will be crawling on all fours and come begging to us. I told him that I will kill my brothers and mother and jump in front of a running train, but I will never come back to you.”
In December 2020, in a video interview on national television Khushbu revealed that her father was sexually & physically abusive to Khushbu and her mother.
The name of her mother-in-law is Deivanai Chidambaram.
Khushbu has three brothers named Abdhuallh (an actor), Abu Bakker and Ali.
Husband & Children
Khushbu Sundar got married to Sundar C. in 2000.
Sundar C. is an Indian film director and actor.
Khushbu Sundar has two daughters named Avanthika and Ananditha.
Khushbu Sundar was a domestic partner of Prabhu Ganesan from 1991 to 1994. On the sets of the movie Chinna Thambi, they both fell in love with each other. Prabhu Ganesan was already married at that time. The relationship of Khushbu and Prabhu was opposed by Sivaji Ganesan, the father of Prabhu, as Prabhu was already married to someone else. Hence, the couple mutually decided to end their relationship in 1994. New Indian Express
No.2, Leith Castle North street, Foreshore Estate, Santhome High Road, Chennai-600 028.
Khushbu started working in Hindi movies as a child artist in 1978. Nakhat became Khushbu on the sets of her first film ‘The Burning Train’ in which she appeared singing the song ‘Teri Hai Zameen.’ In an interview, she told about changing her name,
Everyone would ask me the meaning of my name. It’s an Urdu name which means fragrance, or Khushbu in Hindi. So I became Khushbu.”
Soon, Khushbu Sundar appeared in various Hindi movies as a child actor including Naseeb (1997), Laawaris (1981), Kaalia (1981), Dard Ka Rishta, and Bemisal (1982).
In 1982, Khushbu became a popular child artist after performing in the fairy song “Main Pariyon Ki Shehzaadi” from Dard Ka Rishta movie. The song was a blockbuster hit and is still very popular at annual day functions at schools and children parties at home.
In 1985, Khushbu appeared in the song “Bol Baby Bol, Rock n Roll” opposite Javed Jaffrey in the movie ‘Meri Jung.’ In the same year, Khushbu made her first screen appearance as a lead actress in the movie ‘Jaanoo’ opposite Jackie Shroff.
In 1986, in the movie ‘Tan-Badan,’ she appeared opposite Govinda. Soon, in the movie ‘Deewana Mujh Sa Nahin,’ she was seen in a supporting role along with Aamir Khan and Madhuri Dixit. In this movie, Khushbu appeared in a solo song, which was a megahit and is still popularly played at several Indian marriage functions.
Khushbu chiefly performed in South Indian movies after her final screenplay in the Hindi movie ‘Deewana Mujh Sa Nahin.’ Since then, she has been living in Chennai. The NewsMinute In 1986, she made her marking debut in the Telugu film ‘Kaliyuga Pandavulu’ opposite Venkatesh, a Telugu actor. Soon, she also started signing Tamil movies. Since then, she has appeared in more than 150 South Indian films. Khushbu Sundar romanced various South Indian actors including Kamal Hassan, Rajinikanth, Tiger Prabhakar, Ravichandran, Suresh Gopi, Sathyaraj, Prabhu, Sarath Kumar, Chiranjeevi, Vishnuvardhan, Ambareesh. Khushbu did more than 100 Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada, and Telugu films. Uncle Bun (1991), Vrudhanmare Sookshikkuka (1995), Independence (1999), Manathe Kottaram (1994), Kaiyoppu (2007), and Mr Marumakan (2012) are some of her noted Malayalam movies. Ranadheera (1987), Anjada Gandu (1988), Shanthi Kranthi (1991), Yugapurusha (1989), Gagana (1989), Aunty Preetse (2001), and Jeevanadhi (1996) are some of her prominent Kannada movies. In Telugu movies, Khushbu Sundar worked mainly opposite Venkatesh and Nagarjuna, the South Indian actors. In May 2010, Khushbu joined the Indian political party DMK (Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam) and left her flourishing career in South Indian cinema. DMK leader Karunanidhi welcomed Khushbu Sundar in his party’s Chennai headquarters.
Khushbu quit DMK on 16 June 2014 and joined the Indian National Congress on 26 November 2014. She was designated as the National spokesperson of the Indian National Congress on her joining day. On her entry in INC, Khushbu exclaimed,
This is the most delightful moment in my life. I feel I am at home. I am proud of joining the Congress as it is a secular party. I will work for the good of the country, not just for Tamil Nadu alone.”
Khushbu Sundar quit the Indian National Congress on 12 October 2020. Sundar joined the Bharatiya Janata Party on the same day. She resigned from INC ahead of the Tamil Nadu Assembly elections in 2021. In Chennai, she contested from the Thousand Lights constituency. However, Khushbu lost the election by a margin of 32200 votes from Ezhilan N of the DMK party. Ezhilan N won the polls by 52.87 per cent.
- In 2005, Khushbu attracted controversy when she gave a public statement that girls can indulge themselves in pre-marital sex but only with the protection from pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. She further stated that after marriage, no educated Indian man could expect that his spouse would be a virgin only. The office of the South India Film Artistes’ Association was pulled down by the Dalit Panthers of India after this statement given by Khushbu Sundar. The activists protested against her and demanded an apology from her. The Pattali Makkal Katchi, a political party, also protested against the statement given by Khushbu while sitting in front of her house. Later, more than 22 complaints were filed against her for “defaming Tamil womanhood and chastity.” The Supreme Court of India dismissed all the cases against Khushbu Sundar in 2010. Rediff
- In January 2006, Khushbu Sundar lodged two complaints against the Maxim magazine for featuring a model who was shown wearing a bikini with her head pasted onto her body on the cover page of the magazine. The complaint was filed against the editor of the magazine along with his four co-workers. The two cases were – the defamation and the indecent representation of women. This case stayed at the Madras High Court till December 2007 until a plea was filed by any of the accused. DNA India
- In December 2012, Khushbu wore a saree on which the images of Hindu Gods i.e. Ram, Krishna and Hanuman were printed. Her pictures went viral in media soon after the incident. An apology was demanded from her by the Hindu Makkal Katchi, a political party in Tamil Nadu. Khushbu replied to the Hindu Makkal Katchi and said,
I am not going to answer every Tom, Dick and Harry. Why should I? There is no need at all. Why are they worried about what a woman sports. Don’t they have any other worthwhile work?”
Later, various cases were filed against her by several political parties including the Hindu Munnani and the Hindu Makkal Katchi. The complaints stated that Khushbu Sundar sat cross-legged with her slippers in front of the idols of Goddesses Lakshmi, Sarswathy and Parvathy during a pooja at Chennai. DNA India
- Mitu Bhowmick Lange, the tender provider and director of the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM), was blamed by Khushbu for discrimination against South film stars and Non – Hindi films. Khushbu frequently involved herself to raise her voice for the betterment and recognition of South Indian cinema and Non – Hindi cinema at global film festival platforms. She often spotted speaking that Indian cinema is not just about Bollywood films. SBS
- Food: Dosa
- Actor: Aamir Khan
Assets and Properties
- Cash: Rs. 3,25,600
- Deposits in Banks: Rs. 71,65,347
- LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs. 20,00,000
- Motor Vehicles: Rs. 1,54,42,668
- Jewellery: Rs. 4,14,00,000
Gross Total Value: Rs. 6,63,33,615 crores
Her immovable assets are worth Rs. 34,56,87,500 crores
Loans from Banks
Her liabilities are worth Rs. 4,00,69,889 crores
- Khushbu adores rearing her pets, listening to music, and travelling in her leisure time.
- Khushbu has tattooed the names of her kids Avantika and Anandita on the inner side of her right forearm. She has a tattoo on her back and one on the outer side of her arm.
- Khushbu was the leading actress in the Tamil film industry during her peak in Indian cinema. Due to her much-admired performances in the movies, her fans built and dedicated a temple after her name with her idol in it in Tamil Nadu. With this honour, she became the first Indian actress in the Indian film industry who was bestowed with this tribute. In an interview, Khushbu was asked about her visit to the temple. She then replied,
I have not gone even once. They have shown me photographs.”
- Khushbu Sundar is a member of the Richmond Football Club in Melbourne, Australia. She is considered the first Indian woman to get the ticket of the Richmond Football Club in 2016. The AFL (The Australian Football League) regarded her as the first Indian celebrity to earn this honour. The former Ministerial Adviser Nitin Gupta taught her the basic rules of football. In September 2017, Khushbu took a guided tour of the Richmond Football Club to promote AFL Football in India. This step was taken by Khushbu to make strong connections between India and Australia.
- During her peak in Tamil cinema, various dishes including Khushbu Idli, a rice cake, Kushboo Jhumki, Kushboo Sarees, Kushboo Sharbet, Kushboo Coffee, Kushboo Cocktails were named after her. The Hindu
- In 2017, in Victoria, Australia, Khushbu promoted Little India cultural precincts. Little India appointed her as their Brand Ambassador. The Indian Sun As the Brand Ambassador of Little India, Khushbu said in an interview,
I’m happy to help the small businesses of Australian Indian community with additional profiling and exposure.”
- Khushbu Sundar shared her views on pre-marital sex and live-in relationships through a video interview.
- In April 2019, Khushbu Sundar smacked a man tightly who allegedly misbehaved with her during her party campaigning. Soon, the incident went viral on social media. Various renowned Indian personalities and the general public applauded her for her brave act and labelled it as “not putting up with any misbehaviour.”
— சோழ நாட்டு மைந்தன் 🇮🇳 (@KosalramT) April 11, 2019
- The Indian Bull-taming sport named ‘jallikattu’ is actively supported by Khushbu Sundar on various national and international podiums. Reportedly, Khushbu has also learnt how cattle are raised and treated on farms outside India. She has learnt it from a cattle station in Warrnambool, Australia.
- Khushbu is very active on various social media platforms. In one of her social media account, she shared her homemade recipes for healthy hair and skin.
- Khushbu is an animal lover and often shares pictures of her pet dogs Kulfi, Nila, and Snoopy on her social media account.
- Khushbu Sundar has also appeared on various Indian news channels to address the general public on various social issues.
- After joining BJP in 2020, Khushbu made a harsh statement against Gandhi rule in Indian National Congress. She stated that Gandhis did not deserve to be a part of the opposition in Indian political governance. She further added that INC was going to be defeated in the future if they stand against the Modi government. In a media conference, she declared,
Gandhis have to come out of the bubble they have built for themselves. Till they don’t burst the bubble, they are going to be defeated. They will not find themselves in opposition also. It’s a myth that they think… forget ruling the country… they are living under the false hope that they will be in opposition all the while. They will not be part of opposition also.”
- According to Khushbu, her parenting principle was to be friends with your children. In an interview with a media house, she mentioned,
Being friends with the children is our first parenting principle. We have always treated them as our friends and they have absolute liberty to share their views, opinions, challenges they face, and so on with us.”
- The PPC (Pradesh Congress Committee ) chief stated against Khushbu in 2020. He stated that Khushbu Sundar was not made for politics, and she was just like a droplet on a lotus flower. He further mentioned that Khushbu was an actress, not a leader. In another interview, Khushbu mentioned him in her statement and stated,
This is the attitude they have against women who are intelligent and eloquent. To hell with modesty. I am bold, I am beautiful, and I am daring.”
- On 18 November 2020, Khushbu Sundar met with an accident, and she was escaped unhurt after a container truck hit her car. She shared this news on her social media account.
- In January 2021, Khushbu was seen protesting against Ananda Vikatan in January 2021 for insulting Narendra Modi.
- Khushbu Sundar interacted with the local people in March 2021, and prepared a dosa while campaigning for her political party in tamil Nadu.
- Khushbu Sundar’s Twitter account was hacked in July 2021 by an anonymous hacker and all of her posts were deleted. The Times of India
- Khushbu Sundar explained the women reservation in India at Conclave South 2021 event.