Babita Kapoor is a former Indian actress who is the niece of well-known Indian actress “Sadhana Shivdasani” and the daughter of actor Hari Shivdasani. She made her acting debut in the drama film “Dus Lakh” in 1966. She became incredibly well-known when she starred with Rajesh Khanna in the 1967 romantic thriller “Raaz.”
Babita Shivdasani Kapoor was born on Sunday, 20 April 1947 (age 76 years; as of 2023) in Karachi, British India (now in Pakistan). Later, Babita moved to Mumbai along with her family, where her cousin Sadhana Shivdasni encouraged her to pursue acting.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Parents & Siblings
Babita is the child of actor Hari Shivdasani and a British Christian mother, Barbara Shivdasani. Meena Advani, a sibling of Babita, who later married and became the proprietor of Power Master Engineers Private Limited and Power-master Tools Private Limited, was her costume designer back in the 1960s.
Husband & Children
On 6 November 1971, Babita got married to her longtime partner actor Randhir Kapoor in a grandiose ceremony. They have two daughters, Kareena Kapoor, and Karisma Kapoor, both are actors. Babita was the first woman in her family to encourage her daughters to pursue acting as a career, despite resistance from her in-laws. In the 1980s, Babita and her husband, Randhir, began to experience some unavoidable difficulties in their marriage, which eventually caused them to live apart for a while. However, in 2007, the couple sensibly decided to get back together.
Babita is Raj Kapoor’s daughter-in-law, Prithviraj Kapoor‘s granddaughter-in-law, and actress Neetu Singh‘s and actor Rishi Kapoor‘s sister-in-law. She is the aunt of Ranbir Kapoor and Ridhima Kapoor. She is the first cousin of the late Bollywood actress Sadhana Shivdasani.
Before getting married to Randhir Kapoor, she dated him for a long time. They reportedly met for the first time on the sets of the 1971 Bollywood film Kal Aaj Aur Kal.
Babita generally follows Hinduism; however, she also observes Christmas and goes to churches as her mother was a British Christian.
Babita made her acting debut with the Bollywood film “Dus Lakh” (1966) alongside Sanjay Khan in which she played the role of Rita; the film turned out to be a hit.
However, the first film she signed was “Raaz”(1967) co-starring Rajesh Khanna which was released in 1967; the film flopped.
Following the success of ‘Dus Lakh,’ she appeared in ‘Farz’ (1967) alongside Jeetendra in which she played the role of ‘Sunita;’ the film went on to become the biggest hit of Jeetendra’s career. Rediff
Later, she appeared in many blockbuster films such as Ek Shrimaan Ek Shrimati (1969), Hasina Maan Jayegi (1968), Kismat (1968), Doli (1969) alongside Rajesh Khanna, Tumse Accha Kaun Hai (1969) alongside Shammi Kapoor, and Kal Aaj Aur Kal (1971) alongside Randhir Kapoor. After her marriage to Randhir Kapoor, they were paired for the film Jeet (1972) which was a remake of the Telugu film En Annan. After working in the Bollywood film Sone Ke Hath (1973), she left her acting career to look after her family.
- Babita often likes to read books in her leisure time.
- According to Babita, she was never career-driven, even at the peak of her career. In an interview, she talked about this and said,
It was just a phase in my life. I wasn’t really career-driven. I wouldn’t say I was not serious. I worked hard for six years from 1966 to 1972. Then I gave it up to marry Daboo (Randhir Kapoor), had my two daughters Lolo (Karisma) and Bebo (Kareena) and never looked back.”
- She was often compared with her legendary cousin Sadhana, though both belong to two different worlds.
- After her first release ‘Dus Lakh’ (1966), the industry started considering her a ‘lucky heroine’ as the film turned out to be a massive hit, and mainly leading Bollywood actors started vying to work with Babita.
- Babita’s elder daughter Karisma also appeared in a film titled ‘Haseena Maan Jayegi’ (1999).
- In 1968, she appeared in Biswajeet’s last successful film ‘Kismat;’ the song ‘Kajra Mohabbat Wala’ from the film is still listened to by many music lovers.
- Her film Kal Aaj Aur Kal (1971) starred three generations of the Kapoor clan, Prithviraj Kapoor, Raj Kapoor, and Randhir Kapoor.
- She has been the face of many timeless Bollywood chartbusters including ‘Bekhudi mein sanam’ from the film Haseena Maan Jayegi, ‘Aao huzoor tumko sitaron pe le chalun’ from the film Kismat, and ‘Aap yahan aaye kis liye’ from the film Kal Aaj Aur Kal.