Arushi Nishank is an Indian environmentalist, social activist, film producer, and international kathak exponent. She is well known as the daughter of the former Chief Minister of Uttarakhand and Minister of education Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank.
Arushi Nishank was born on Wednesday, 17 September 1986 (age 34 years; as of 2020) in Kotdwar, Uttar Pradesh (now Uttarakhand). Her zodiac sign is Virgo. Arushi Nishank completed her schooling and went to the University of Cambridge to pursue a PGDM course. After completing the course, Arushi moved to Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand, and settled there.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Hazel Green
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Arushi’s father, Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank, is the former Chief Minister of Uttarakhand and the Minister of Education of India. Her mother’s name is Kusum Kanta Pokhriyal. Her mother passed away on 11 November 2012 due to prolonged illness.
Arushi has two younger sisters, Shreyanshi Nishank and Vidushi Nishank. Shreyashi is a doctor in the army and Vidushi is an aspiring lawyer.
Arushi Nishank got married to Abhinav Pant on 24 January 2015. Abhinav is an entrepreneur.
As a Kathak Exponent
Arushi is an internationally acclaimed Indian classical Kathak dancer. She was trained by the Padma Vibhushan awardee Pandit Birju Maharaj. Arushi has given many international performances in London, Germany, Canada, and Dubai. While performing in Dubai, Arushi composed and choreographed the composition ‘Ganga Avataran,’ a story about goddess Ganga coming to Earth.
As an Environmentalist & Social Activist
Arushi has been working for the welfare of the environment with her father for a long time. In 2009, Arushi became the co-founder and chairperson of the Sparsh Ganga Campaign. The campaign was started by Ramesh Pokhriyal and Arushi Nishank with the goal to spread environmental awareness regarding the rising problem of pollution in the Ganga river and to encourage people to save and clean the Ganga river. She has promoted her campaign in five different countries.
As a producer
In 2018, Arushi made her debut as a producer with the movie ‘Major Nirala.’ This regional film was based on the novel written by Ramesh Pokhriyal, her father.
As an actress
On 8 March 2021, the Indian music record label and film production company T-Series, revealed the poster of the movie ‘Tarini’ on their official Twitter account. The storyline of the movie revolves around six women naval officers from India who sailed across the globe for 254 days and reached Goa, marking the end of their journey.
Bringing to you the story of 6 courageous Indian women Naval officers who fearlessly circumnavigated the globe for 254 days. #Tarini
— T-Series (@TSeries) March 8, 2021
Awards and Honours
- Champions of Change award 2020 for working for the safety of the environment in 2020
- Global Woman Empowerment award in December 2019
- Two awards for the film ‘Major Nirala’ at Global Taj International Film Festival in 2019
- Top 20 Global Women of Excellence in 2020 at an event in Chicago
- Arushi Nishank is a fitness aficionado, and she often shares videos and photos of her working out in the gym on her Instagram account.
- In her leisure time, Arushi likes to visit and explore new places and go out for trips with her family and friends. She is also fond of gardening.
- Arushi Nishank is a pet lover, and she has a pet Beagle dog named Tazz.
- Born to a politician father, Ramesh Pokhriyal, Arushi often campaigned for the Bharatiya Janata Party during elections.
- In April 2020, Arushi and her Sparsh Ganga campaign team worked with AquaKraft and distributed 10,000 cloth masks to army officials who were posted in New Delhi, Haridwar, and Roorkee.
"Raksha Sutra Se Pahle, Raksha Kavach"
Along with #SparshGanga team and joined efforts with Aqua Kraft we distributed 10000 masks to our brothers in army in New Delhi, Roorkee and Haridwar. Thank you all for your support.@MoJSDoWRRDGR @cleanganganmcg @swachhbharat @PMOIndia pic.twitter.com/lXLWHcOJNu
— Arushi Nishank (@ArushiNishank) April 30, 2020
- Arushi was invited as a speaker for the TEDx Mount Abu School event in February 2021. At the event, she spoke about the importance of the environment and how her Sparsh Ganga campaign affects it and how the campaign operates.
- Arushi has appeared on several news channels during their political debates and to talk about her initiative to spread awareness among people.
- Being an environmentalist, Arushi often participates in practices that are environment-friendly. One such activity is gifting plants as a birthday gift to all her family, friends, and professional connections.