Nadeem Saifi is the Indian music director turned businessman who was a part of the iconic music composer duo Nadeem-Shravan. In 1997, Nadeem was accused of planning the murder of the founder of T-Series Gulshan Kumar.
Nadeem Akhtar Saifi a.k.a. Nadeem Saifi was born on Friday, 6 August 1954 (age 66 years; as of 2020) in Mumbai. Nadeem was born into an affluent family, and his father was a businessman in Mumbai. Nadeem had a keen interest in music since his childhood and after completing his schooling at St. Mary’s High School in Mazgaon, Nadeem started a band with his friends. A common friend of Nadeem and Shravan introduced them to each other and they decided to work together as music composers.
Height (approx.): 6′ 1″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Nadeem’s father was a businessman in Mumbai. He has a younger brother, Sohail Saifi.
Wife & Children
Nadeem Saifi got married to Sultana and they have two children together- a son and a daughter. Their daughter’s name is Saima, and their son’s name is Samar Nadeem.
Nadeem Saifi met Shravan Rathod through a common friend at a party. They both wanted to become music composers and decided to team and form the composer duo Nadeem-Shravan. The first project on which they worked together was in 1979 when they composed music for their first song ‘Kashi hile, Patna hile’ for the Bhojpuri movie ‘Dangal.’ Over the years, the duo worked has worked with Anuradha Patel, Hariharan, Suresh Wadkar, Pankaj Udhas, Roop Kumar Rathod, Vinod Rathod, Alka Yagnik, and many other famous Indian playback singers. In 1985, the duo composed music for their first independent commercial project ‘Star Ten.’ The album featured ten Bollywood actors such as Mithun, Jackie Shroff, Anil Kapoor, etc. who sang songs for the album. The major breakthrough in their careers came when they worked with Mahesh Bhatt in 1990 for the romantic drama movie ‘Aashiqui.’ The songs of the album became a superhit and this was Nadeem-Shravan’s shot to fame. After working on more than 150 films together as music composers and music directors, the duo decided to split up in 2005. Shravan lost interest in composing music and decided to focus on the career of his sons, Sanjeev and Darshan. In 2015, Nadeem made a comeback as a solo composer for the movie ‘Ishq Forever.’
Awards, Honours, and Achievements
- Filmfare Best Music Director Award in 1991 for Aashiqui
- Filmfare Best Music Director Award in 1992 for Saajan
- Filmfare Best Music Director Award in 1993 for Deewana
- Filmfare Best Music Director Award in 1997 for Raja Hindustani
- Star Screen Best Music Director Award in 1997 for Raja Hindustani
- Star Screen Best Music Director Award in 1998 for Pardes
- Zee Cine Best Music Director in 2003 for Raaz
In 1997, Nadeem Saifi was on a vacation in London when arresting warrants against him were released stating him as the mastermind behind the attack on Gulshan Kumar. The attack was carried out on 12 August 1997, when three assailants fired gunshots on Gulshan Kumar, killing him instantly outside a temple. Others involved in the case were Anees Ibrahim Kaskar (Dawood Ibrahim’s brother), and Dawood’s associates Abu Salem and Kayyum. During the interrogation of the gangsters, it was found that Nadeem had also organized a ‘secret’ music function in June for Dawood Ibrahim in Dubai. In 2001, the Indian Government took the case to London High Court, requesting the extradition of Nadeem Saifi, but the request was rejected by the government. Later, Mohammad Ali Hussain Sheikh, who earlier claimed that Nadeem was involved in the murder, eventually revealed that he had no connections with Saifi. Abu Salem also denied Nadeem’s involvement with the case. He was exonerated by four different courts including the House of Lords in the UK and the sessions court in Mumbai.
- Nadeem Saifi keeps traveling between London and Dubai. He has British citizenship, and he has a perfume business called Arabian Attars in Dubai.
- Nadeem Saifi’s grandfather was honored with the title of ‘Khan Bahadur Saheb’ by the British Government.
- Nadeem and Shravan’s album ‘Aashiqui’ (1990) turned out to be the best-selling music album of all time. The label sold more than twenty million copies of the album over the years.
- On 19 April 2021, Shravan Rathod had tested positive for Covid-19, and he was admitted to SL Raheja Hospital in Mahim. The news was made public by his son, Sanjeev Rathod. Nadeem posted a picture on his social media platforms requesting his fans to pray for Shravan’s speedy recovery, but unfortunately, Shravan Rathod passed away on 22 April 2021 after suffering a heart attack and multiple organ failures. Hindustan Times