Mathias Boe is a Danish badminton player who was the gold medalist at the European Games (2015), two-time European Championships winner in 2012 and 2017, and a silver medalist at the Summer Olympics (2015). Mathias Boe also held world rank 1 in the BWF World ranking together with Carsten Mogensen.
Mathias Boe was born on Friday, 11 July 1980 (age 40 years; as of 2020) in Frederikssund, Denmark. Since childhood, Mathias Boe was passionate about badminton, and he started playing badminton when he was just six years old, at the Odense Badminton Klub, Denmark.
BWF Height: 6’ 1”
Hair Colour: Medium Ash Blonde
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Ethnicity
Mathias Boe has a Danish origin. BMF
Parents & Siblings
Mathias Boe’s brother’s name is Nikolaj Boe and his sister’s name is Julie Kryger Boe.
Relationships, Husband & Children
Mathias Boe made his international debut in 1998. After partnering with players, like Michael Jensen, Thomas Hovgaard, and Michael Lamp, Boe struck up a combination with Carsten Mogensen which turn out to be immensely successful. Boe and Mogensen reached the final of their first tournament together, the US Open (2004), and since then they went on to win numerous honours, including silver medals at the London Olympics (2012) and World Championships (2013). Boe and Mogensen won 16 Superseries titles together. In 2016, Boe made Denmark the first non-Asian country to win that title of the Thomas Cup.
The partnership of Boe and Mogensen split in March 2019, after which Boe combined with Mads-Conrad Petersen. On 21 July 2019, Boe’s last match took place at Sport Hall Olympic in Vladivostok, Russia at the Russian Open (badminton). On Thursday, 23 April 2020, Mathias Boe announced his retirement from the international badminton.
Awards & Achievements
- European Junior Championships (1999); Gold Medal in Boys’ doubles
- All England Open (2011); Winner in Men’s doubles
- Olympic Games (2012); Silver Medal in Men’s doubles
- European Championships (2012); Gold Medal in Men’s doubles
- European Games (2015); Gold Medal in Men’s doubles
- Thomas Cup (2016); Denmark Men’s team won Gold Medal
- European Championships (2017); Gold Medal in Men’s doubles
- BWF World Tour (2019); Winner at Russian Open in Men’s doubles
- Mathias Boe’s equipment is sponsored by Yonex, AP 900
- At the age of six, Mathias Boe started playing badminton in Odense Badminton Klub, Denmark. In an interview, he said,
I began when I was 6-years-old in Odense. My whole family played the sport, and some still do. I like being a badminton player because I get to work in what I like most.’
- Mathias Boe’s favourite tournament is the All England Open Badminton Championships. In an interview, he said,
The All England is also my favourite tournament – the conditions are perfect, many spectators, a lot of good restaurants, close to home.’
- In February 2020, Boe announced that the Thomas Cup or Olympic Games would be his last tournament, but in April 2020, he decided to retire as professional badminton player at the age of 39. He revealed that he was simply too exhausted both in training and competition.
View this post on Instagram
This pictures was taken at a training camp when I was about 13 years old. I still clearly remember all these summer camps, where focus was on making friends, having fun and becoming a better badminton player. Here some 27 years later, it’s time to retire from the sport, that has had almost all my attention, since I was a little boy. I have made friends all over the world, I have had a lot of fun and I have done everything I could to become the best possible badminton player I could be. I want to send a massive thank you to my childhood club @odensebadmintonklub, @badmintondenmark, @teamdanmark, its staff, my coaches, my friends, who I promise that I will never say no to wine again 😜🍾 and my fans. A special thank you to my colleagues over the years in Brøndby, Carsten and Mads for putting up with me on court, and of course to my family who have supported me continuously over so many years. Time to draw the curtains on this chapter of my life. 🙏🏻❤️
- Mathias Boe is also the coach of Pune 7 Aces, a franchise badminton team based out of Pune and owned by Bollywood celebrity Taapsee Pannu. The team plays at the Premier Badminton League.
- In 2020, Mathias Boe’s Pic with rumoured girlfriend and Bollywood celebrity, Taapsee Pannu went viral on social media. Apparently, the couple was enjoying a vacation in the Maldives.
References [ + ]