Vineet Kumar is an Indian actor and theatre artist, who mainly works in Hindi, Telugu, and English films and TV serials. He is an alumnus of the National School of Drama, New Delhi.
He did his schooling at Patna Collegiate School, Patna. He then pursued graduation in law and psychology at Bihar National College in Patna, Bihar. The Times of India From 1968 to 1989, he did a Master & Fellowship in Dramatic Arts at the National School of Drama, New Delhi. In 1973, he joined the Indian theatre group Indian Peoples’ Theatre Association, Patna.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Hazel Black
Parents & Siblings
His father, Saheb Lal Srivastav, worked as a district transport officer in Uttar Pradesh. His mother’s name is Prabha Srivastav. His brother, Sunit Kumar, is a retired Indian Police Service officer of the Bihar cadre. As of January 2023, Sunit is serving as Chairman of the Bihar Police Subordinate Services Commission (BPSSC) in Bihar. He has a sister named Ratna Ranjan.
Wife & Children
On 28 June 1995, he got married to Manoranjan Dhaliwal, a TEAP and CELTA certified educator. There is not much information about his children.
While studying in college, his brother’s friends asked him to accompany them to a theatre play by Satish Anand theatre group. From there, he started developing an interest in theatre plays. He then performed in various stage plays and nukkad nataks.
In 1992, he made his acting debut with the Hindi film ‘Vishwatma’ in which he played a cameo role.
He has played supporting roles in many popular Hindi films like ‘Drohkaal’ (1994), ‘Kachche Dhaage’ (1999), ‘Shool’ (1999), ‘Yeh Dil’ (2003), ‘Masaan’ (2015), and ‘Bholaa’ (2023).
Vineet made his Telugu film debut with the 2006 film ‘Vikramarkudu’ as Bavuji.
He then appeared in a few other Telugu films such as ‘Kandireega’ (2011), ‘Shivam’ (2015), ‘Inttelligent’ (2018), ‘Chanakya’ (2019), and ‘Bombhaat’ (2020).
He played a supporting role in his debut English film ‘Electric Moon’ (1992).
Some of his other English films are ‘Return to Rajapur’ (2006), ‘Strings’ (2006), and ‘Bhopal: A Prayer for Rain’ (2014).
He has also acted in films of other languages like ‘Zamana’ in a cameo role (2010; Kannada), ‘Velayudham’ as Ulaganathan (2011; Tamil), and ‘Phulmania’ as Jay’s father (2019; Nagpuri).
In 1995, he made his television debut with the Hindi TV serial ‘Yugantar,’ which aired on Doordarshan.
He then appeared in a few other Hindi TV serials like ‘Swabhimaan’ (1995; DD National), ‘Saat Phere: Saloni Ka Safar’ (2005; Zee TV), ‘Lapataganj: Sharad Joshi Ki Kahaniyon Ka Pata’ (2010; SAB TV), ‘Chidiya Ghar’ (2012; SAB TV), and ‘Jaana Na Dil Se Door’ (2016; Star Plus).
In 2021, he made his web series debut with the SonyLIV series ‘Maharani’ in which he played the role of Gauri Shankar Pandey.
In 2022, he acted in a few other Hindi web series such as ‘Nirmal Pathak Ki Ghar Wapsi’ (SonyLIV), ‘The Great Indian Murder’ (Disney+ Hotstar), and ‘Maharani 2’ (SonyLIV).
- Before making his career as an actor, he was a wrestler. In 1968, he participated in various wrestling competitions in Bihar.
- In 1974, he participated in the JP movement aka Bihar Movement, a political movement initiated by students in Bihar against misrule and corruption in the state government.
- In an interview, he shared that he never wanted to act in films and TV serials.
- His hobbies include cooking and photography. He has even spent lakhs on buying the latest versions of camera lenses.
- In 2016, he was honoured at the Kala & Film Mahotsav.
- In the same year, he won the Best Actor in a Negative Role award at Indian Television Academy Awards for the Hindi TV serial Jaana Na Dil Se Door.
- He is an avid animal lover and often shares pictures of cats and dogs on his Instagram account.
- Vineet Kumar has penned down various articles for his blog site Muktkanth.