Karishma Kapoor is an Indian film actress. She is the elder daughter of Bollywood actor, Randhir Kapoor and actress, Babita Kapoor. Karishma is the elder sister of the Bollywood actress, Kareena Kapoor.
Karishma Kapoor was born on Tuesday, 25 June 1974 (age 46 years; as in 2020) in Mumbai. Her zodiac sign is Cancer. She did her schooling from Mumbai’s The Cathedral & John Connon School.
Being born into a family with a filmy background, Karishma often accompanied her parents to the sets of the films. She was quite impressed with the Bollywood actresses Sridevi and Madhuri Dixit and wanted to pursue acting as her career from a young age. However, her father did not approve of women working in films; as it was against the traditional values of the family. After completing her schooling, Karishma attended the Sophia College for a few months. She, then, left her degree to pursue acting as her career.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Light Blue
Family & Caste
Kareena Kapoor is of a Hindu Punjabi descent from her father’s side and of Sindhi and British descent from her mother’s side.
Parents & Siblings
Karishma Kapoor is the daughter of the veteran actor, Randhir Kapoor and actress, Babita. She has a younger sister, Kareena Kapoor, who is also an actress. Her parents got seperated in 1988; as his father was against of his family’s women working in the films, while her mother wanted to work in the industry. Both Karishma, and her sister Kareena, were raised by their mother. Later, their parents reconciled in 2007.
Husband, Children & Relationships
Karishma was in a relationship with the Bollywood actor, Ajay Devgn. The couple broke up in 1995.
In 2002, she got engaged to Abhishek Bachchan. However, the engagement was called off after a few months.
On 29 September 2013, Karishma tied the knot with Sunjay Kapur, the CEO of Sixt India. The wedding happened in Sikh style at her ancestral home, Krishna Raj Bungalow. Together they have a daughter, Samaira and a son, Kiaan. In 2014, the couple got separated due to misunderstandings and filed for a divorce. The divorce was finalised in 2016.
After her divorce with Sunjay, Karishma was rumoured to be in a relationship with the Mumbai based businessman, Sandeep Toshniwal. However, there were rumours about their breakup in 2018.
Her paternal grandfather, Raj kapoor was an actor and filmmaker.
Her maternal grandfather, Hari Shivdasani, was also an actor. She is the great granddaughter of the popular veteran actor, Prithviraj Kapoor.
The Bollywood actor, Saif Ali Khan is her brother-in-law (sister’s husband).
Karishma Kapoor started her acting career in 1991 with the Bollywood film “Prem Qaidi.” The film was average at the box office and received mixed reviews from the critics. Next, she appeared in the commercial failures like “Police Officer,” “Jaagruti,” “Nishchaiy,” “Sapne Sajan Ke,” and “Deedar.”
Subsequently, she starred in many hit films including “Jigar,” “Anari,” “Raja Babu,” “Coolie No. 1,” “Jeet,” and “Saajan Chale Sasural.”
In 1996, she received huge popularity after playing the role of ‘Aarti Sehgal’ in the blockbuster romance “Raja Hindustani.” She was later praised for her portrayal of a dancer in the film “Dil To Pagal Hai.”
Thereafter, she featured in romantic comedies like “Hero No. 1,” “Biwi No. 1,” and “Dulhan Hum Le Jayenge.” She has also appeared in the Bollywood films “Hum Saath-Saath Hain,” “Fiza,” and “Zubeidaa.”
In 2012, she starred in the supernatural thriller “Dangerous Ishqq.” In 2020, Karishma appeared in her debut web series “Mentalhood.”
- In 2002, Karishma Kapoor got engaged to Abhishek Bachchan. It was even said that the actress stopped wearing short dresses and denied doing item songs to keep Bachchan’s image intact. However, they suddendly called off their engagement. Later, it was rumoured that Abhishek’s mother, Jaya Bachchan never approved of their relationship.
- After her divorce with Sunjay Kapur, her ex-husband, filed a petition for the custody of his kids. He alleged that he took this step as Karishma didn’t let Sunjay meet his kids.
Karishma Kapoor owns a Mercedes-Benz, a BMW, and an Audi Q7.
National Film Awards
- Best Supporting Actress for the film “Dil To Pagal Hai” (1998)
- Best Actress Award for the film “Raja Hindustani” (1997)
- Best Supporting Actress Award for the film “Dil To Pagal Hai” (1998)
- Best Actress Award for the film “Fiza” (2001)
- Critics Award for Best Actress for the film “Zubeidaa” (2002)
Zee Cine Awards
- Best Actor in a supporting role Female for the film “Dil To Pagal Hai” (1998)
- Zee Premiere Choice – Female for the film “Fiza” (2001)
- Best Actress for the film “Fiza” (2001)
Bollywood Movie Awards
- Best Supporting Actress for the film “Dil To Pagal Hai” (1997)
- Best Actress for the film “Fiza” (2001)
- Most Sensational Actress for the film “Shakti: The Power” (2003)
- Sansui Viewer’s Choice Award for Best Supporting Actress for the film “Dil To Pagal Hai” (1997)
- Indo-American Society Young Achievers Award for Young Achiever Award (2000)
- Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Award for Best Actress for the film “Fiza” (2001)
- Sansui Viewers’s Choice Award for Best Actress Jury for the film “Fiza” (2001)
- Smita Patil Memorial Award Receiver for outstanding contribution to film industry (2002)
- Hello! Hall Of Fame Award for Most Stylish Woman of the Year (2011)
As in 2012, Karishma’s estimated annual earning was Rs. 110.55 million. Forbes India
- Food: Cakes, Fried Chips, Biryani
- Actresses: Nargis, Meena Kumari
- Travel Destination: London, Paris
- Perfume: Romance by Ralph Lauren
- Her hobbies include doing power yoga and swimming.
- She follows a non-vegetarian diet. NDTV Food
- Karishma Kapoor was the first member from her family to break the Kapoor stereotype. She not only entered the film industry but she was one of the most prominent actresses of the 90s.
- She is the biggest share holder of BabyOye.com.
- Karishma Kapoor turned down several roles, which later went on to become huge hits. They include Juhi Chawla’s role in “Ishq,” Manisha Koirala’s role in “Gupt,” Kareena Kapoor’s role in “Asoka The Great” and Aishwarya Rai’s role in “Bride and Prejudice.”
- Karishma’s mother named her “Lolo” after the legendry Hollywood actress “Gina Lollobrigida.”
- Karishma Kapoor was the first choice for the role of ‘Tina’ in the film “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.” However, the actress rejected the offer as she didn’t want to play the side role at that time and the role subsequently went to Rani Mukerji.
- Karishma Kapoor was not the first choice for the film “Raja Hindustani.” The role was first offered to Aishwarya, but she rejected the offer as she was busy with other commitments. The film became one of the biggest hits of Kapoor’s career.
- She was not the first choice for the film “Dil To Pagal Hai” either. She received the role of ‘Nisha’ in the film after it was rejected by Raveena Tandon, Juhi Chawla, Kajol, Manisha Koirala and Shilpa Shetty.
- Karishma had her own TV series on Sahara TV titled “Karishma.” The actress played three different roles in the series.
- In 2012, Karishma bagged seventy-sixth position on Forbes India’s “Celebrity 100” list.
- Karishma supports Salman Khan‘s charitable trust, Being Human Foundation.
- Kapoor helped raise money for the victims of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake by performing at the HELP! Telethon Concert.
- She has also walked at the HDIL India Couture Week for a charity cause.
- In 2012, she was the goodwill ambassador for Pinkathon for creating awareness for breast cancer.
- Kapoor has endorsed many brands like “Kellogg’s,” “Crescent Lawn,” “Admix Retail,” “Danone,” and “Garnier Colour.”
- Karishma has walked the ramp for many fashion designers like Manish Malhotra, Arpita Mehta, and Vikram Phadnis.
- When asked in an interview if she was her children’s favourite actress, she said,
I don’t think so. I think it’s Bebo (Kareena). They don’t really watch my movies and I don’t force it on them. They have watched a few and I like it that way. It’s fine.”
References [ + ]