Lin Laishram is an Indian model, actress, and businesswoman who is popular for being in a relationship with Bollywood actor Randeep Hooda.
Lin Laishram was born as Linthoingambi Laishram Manipur Times on Thursday, 19 December 1985 (age 37 years; as of 2022) in Imphal, Manipur. Her zodiac sign is Sagittarius. When she was in college, one of her professors changed her name to Lin because some of her non-Manipuri friends found it difficult to pronounce her. She did her initial schooling in Manipur and later moved to Mumbai. She pursued a bachelor’s degree of arts in sociology at Sophia College, Mumbai. She was interested in sports since childhood so she took training in archery at Tata Archery Academy, Jamshedpur. After suffering from an injury for a long time while playing archery, she started modelling and pursued an acting course at Stella Adler Studio of Acting, New York. Manipur Times She struggled while doing theatre in New York and had to take up a waitressing job to support herself.
Manipur Times Height: 5′ 9 ½”
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): 32-26-32
Parents & Siblings
Lin’s father’s name is Chandrasen Laishram, who is a banker and a sportsperson.
Her mother’s name is Sorodhoni Laishram, who works as a doctor.
She has an elder sister whose name is Rita Laishram Lee.
As of 2022, she is unmarried.
Lin is in a relationship with Bollywood actor Randeep Hooda. In 2020, there were rumours of Randeep and Lin’s wedding. Amar Ujala
Lin belongs to the Mayang group of Manipur. Imphal Times
Lin shifted to New York in 2006 and started working as a print and fashion model. She walked the ramps for various fashion shows like the India Fashion Week and New York Bridal Week. She was also selected as the brand ambassador of the New York-based jewellery brand Ozoru Jewelry.
She made her debut in the fashion industry in India when she was selected by a modelling agency during a fest in her college that was looking for girls with long hair for a photo shoot for L’Oreal magazine. In 2007, she signed in with the Elite Modelling Agency.
In 2008, she became the first runner-up in the Miss North East pageant held in Shillong.
In 2012, she became the first Manipuri model to wear a swimsuit on national television for the reality TV show Kingfisher calendar girl.
Lin made her Bollywood debut in 2007 with the film ‘Om Shanti Om’ in which she gave a cameo appearance as Om Kapoor’s friend.
She has appeared in other Bollywood films including Mary Kom (2014) as Bem, Umrika (2015) as Udai’s wife, Rangoon (2017) as Mema, Qaidi Band (2017), and Axone (2019) as Chanbi.
She has appeared in various short films including We Are Mahindra (2017) and Ave Maria (2020). She has given a cameo appearance in the Hindi sport-drama film Hattrick in 2007. She also played a small role in the Bollywood film Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola in 2013. In 2022, she appeared in the Amazon Prime Video series Modern Love: Mumbai in which she played the role of Avantika.
Since 2011, she has been a part of various theatre groups like Motley by Naseeruddin Shah, Pravah theatre Lab by Neeraj Kabi, and RangBaaz.
In March 2017, she started her own jewellery brand called Shamooo Sana. In an interview, she talked about her jewellery brand and said,
I first designed an earring for my mom and she was so happy. She pushed me to start my own venture. I experiment a lot and my designs are an amalgamation of different places and time. My designs are ready-to-wear, easy on the pocket and completely funky and stylish.”
In 2020, Lin was given a warning by the Kangleipak Kanba Lup (KKL), Manipur for her remarks on racist characteristics of people in the region. The group demanded an apology from her and in a press statement, they said that they would file a police case against her for demeaning the Meiteis and the people of the entire northeastern region. In a film event in Pune, Lin stated that the Manipuri Meiteis are also ‘racists’ because they use the term “Mayang” to describe mainland Indians. The Morning Bell
In 2018, she received recognition from United living and Ningol Chakkouba committee as a women achiever from Manipur.
- Actor: Ranbir Kapoor
- Actress: Karisma Kapoor
- Fashion Designer: Sabyasachi Mukherjee, Salvatore Ferragamo
- Lin follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- Her hobbies include travelling, playing different sports, and cooking.
- Lin’s parents were not very supportive of her career choices when she was young. As a child, she joined a dance school, but her parents made her quit it and asked her to make studies her priority. While she was growing up, she did not have many actors or models from Manipur to look up to because this profession was not taken seriously by people in her region.
- Her father was the President of the Manipur Archery Association, and he motivated her to play sports. Lin started playing archery and took training at Tata Archery Academy, Jamshedpur. In 1998, she became the Junior National Champion and best sportsperson of the year in the nationals held in Chandigarh.
- In 2020, she appeared in the film ‘Axone’ in which all the actors were Northeastern. In an interview, she said that Bollywood does not cast people from the Northeast as the main lead in films. In the interview, she further said,
Till date, Bollywood has not picked up any stories, any project with full cast and team from the north eastern states of India. The mainland people have to know about us. We have to know more about mainland India. Interactions between states and cultural exchange is required. There have been no female actors from Manipur before me who have come out and been part of Bollywood.”
- In 2021, in an interview, she openly said that the role of Mary Kom in her biopic would have appeared better if the actress was from Manipur or the North East. Later, Priyanka Chopra also agreed in an interview that she does not look like Mary Kom. Lin appreciated Priyanka’s stand and said,
It’s really gracious and brave of Priyanka to finally accept this and put it out there. My admiration for her has only grown immensely. Inclusivity I feel is very hard to understand unless you are excluded.”
- According to her, the roles offered to Northeastern actors are not very impactful. They are offered roles of a spa girl, prostitute or a waiter.
- In an interview, she said that the fashion industry treated her with more respect and acceptance than Bollywood. In the interview, she talked about this and said,
Working in the fashion industry was much easier but then I stepped into the shocking world of Bollywood. People would call me only if they had a role of a Chinese character. It was a huge contrast compared to the modelling industry. But then you learn with time and move on. I am always looking out for substantial work. It hasn’t been easy at all.”
- In 2017, she referred to human rights activist Irom Sharmila as a superwoman and said that she would love to play her role if a biopic was ever made on her.
- She is often spotted drinking alcohol on various occasions.
|↑1, ↑2, ↑3||Manipur Times|
|↑6||The Morning Bell|