Anup Soni is an Indian actor and anchor. He is best known for being the host of the Indian television series ‘Crime Patrol‘ (2003).
Anup Soni was born on Thursday, 30 January 1975 (age 45 years; as of 2020) in Ludhiana, Punjab. His zodiac sign is Aquarius.
He graduated from the National School of Drama, New Delhi with a specialization in acting. The Patriot
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
He belongs to a Punjabi business-class family. The Patriot
Parents & Siblings
His mother’s name is Kiran Soni and his father’s name is Ramesh Chandra Soni.
Wife & Children
In 1998, Anup met Ritu, an employee at an advertising and marketing company called Lintas (now MullenLowe Lintas Group). In September 1999, they both got married.
He has two daughters with Ritu: Zoya (born in 2004) and Myra (born in 2008).
While working on a play by the Indian theatre actress and director Nadira Babbar (wife of Bollywood actor-turned-politician Raj Babbar), he met her daughter Juhi Babbar, a theatre actress. Anup and Juhi started seeing each other when he was still married to Ritu. After dating Juhi for a while, he divorced Ritu in 2010 and got married to Juhi Babbar on 14 March 2011 in a quiet ceremony attended only by family and close friends.
In 2012, Anup and Juhi welcomed their son, Imaan.
He made his television debut as an actor with the series ‘Aahat’ (1995) in episode 35 as ‘Mohan.’
He then acted in the series: Safar (1996), Sea Hawks (1997), Byomkesh Bakshi (1997), and Saaya (1998). After working in television for a few years, he began working in films, and made his return to television with the show ‘CID: Special Bureau’ (2004) as ‘ACP Ajatshashtru.’
He has also acted in the TV series: Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii (2006-07), Shubh Vivah (2012), and Balika Vadhu (2008-14). He made his web debut with the series ‘The Test Case’ (2018) as ‘Lt. Col Imtiaz Hussain,’ which aired on ALTBalaji.
He has also acted in the web series ‘Bombers’ (2019), which aired on Zee 5.
He made his film debut as an actor with the Bollywood film ‘Godmother’ (1999) as ‘Meru.’
He has acted in the Bollywood films: Fiza (2000), Raaz (2002), Gangaajal (2003), Khushi (2003), Prasatthanam (2019), and Raat Baaki Hai (2020). He made his Punjabi debut with the National Award-winning film ‘Des Hoyaa Pardes’ (2004) as ‘SHO Randhawa.’
He made his Marathi debut with the film ‘Fatteshikast’ (2019) as Shaista Khan,’ which was released on ZEE5.
In 2003, he began hosting the popular real-life based crime show ‘Crime Patrol.’ The show was a huge success in the Indian television industry and he garnered huge popularity as the host of the show. In 2018, he decided to abandon the show to focus on his acting career (films & TV shows).
He has also worked in many theatre productions including Ektuje Theatre’s (his mother-in-law’s theatre company) plays. He also gives acting training to the Ekjute Theatre actors.
- In 2012, Anup got into trouble when he said that Indian men were not brought up well, during the show ‘Crime Patrol.’ After he faced a huge backlash for his statement, he immediately apologized and said, Times of India
I said this line at end of one of “Crime Patrol”’s episodes and after I said it I was a bit apprehensive and realised it would hurt a lot of sensibilities.”
- In September 2020, after Kangana Ranaut alleged that ninety-nine per cent of Bollywood consumed narcotic substances, Anup Soni took to his Twitter and took a dig at Kangana saying that one cannot blame the whole industry for such vice and people holding such assumptions should join some other industry, especially “Rajneeti” (politics). National Herald
Awards & Achievements
- Awarded Common Man in Cinema Award (named after Om Puri by Rajasthan International Film Festival (RIFF)) in 2019
Indian Television Academy Awards
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role for the show ‘Balika Vadhu’ in 2011
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role for the show ‘Balika Vadhu’ in 2012
- Dessert: Rasgulla
- Flavour: Pineapple
- Film Director: Aparna Sen
- Poet: Gulzar
- Colour: Blue
- His hobby is collecting watches. Talking about his hobby, he said,
I love watches and have an exclusive collection of mostly all the famous brands.”
- He wanted to become an actor since childhood and acted in many plays during his school days.
- He also goes by the name Anoop Soni and Anuup Sonii. Bollywood Hangama
- He owns a Maruti Gypsy King.
References [ + ]