Huma Qureshi is a popular Bollywood actress. She debuted as an actress in Bollywood with the superhit film ‘Gangs of Wasseypur’ (2012).
Huma Saleem Qureshi was born on Monday, 28 July 1986 (age 33 years; as in 2020), in New Delhi. Her zodiac sign is Leo. She completed her graduation in History Honours from the Gargi College, New Delhi (2007 batch) India Today
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
Huma was born in a conservative Muslim family. Koimoi Her father Saleem Qureshi is a restaurateur and owns a chain of restaurants “Saleem’s” in Delhi. Her mother, Ameena Qureshi, hails from Kashmir. She has two elder brothers and one younger brother. Her elder brothers, Naeem Qureshi and Haseen Qureshi work in their family business, and her younger brother, Saqib Saleem Qureshi is a popular Indian actor.
She has been in the news for her many rumoured relationships. Before starting her acting career, she was in a relationship with Manoj Tanwar (student of Venky’s) in 2007, and Ibrahim Ansari (a Businessman from Nehru Place) in 2008. In 2012, she was often spotted spending quality time with the actor Arjan Bajwa. Free Press Journal
In 2013, she was spotted holidaying with the actor Shahid Kapoor in Goa, and the rumours of Huma dating Shahid was in the air. Free Press Journal There were rumours that she was dating the director Anurag Kashyap. In 2014, Huma was spotted hugging Anurag at the screening of the Hollywood film ‘American Hustle’ in Mumbai. Times of India
Huma joined ‘Act 1,’ a theatre group in Delhi. She was mentored by the Indian theatre director and acting teacher, N. K. Sharma.
She moved to Mumbai from Delhi in 2008, to audition for a film, Junction, which was never made. Later, she got a two-year contract with Hindustan Unilever for TV commercials. Her first advertisement was for a cell phone with Abhishek Bachchan, in which she played the role of a reporter. She came into the limelight with a mobile phone advertisement starring Aamir Khan and shot by Anurag Kashyap in Panchgani.
Later, Huma appeared in various TV commercials including a mobile commercial with Aamir Khan and Shah Rukh Khan. While shooting for the advertisement of Samsung mobile, Anurag Kashyap told her that he will cast her in his film. Later, Anurag offered her a three-film deal with his company ‘Anurag Kashyap Films.’ She debuted in ‘Gangs of Wasseypur-Part 1’ in 2012, in which she played the character of Mohsina. Her performance was appreciated by the audience and the critics.
Later, she appeared in many superhit Bollywood films like Luv Shuv Tey Chicken Khurana (2012), Ek Thi Daayan (2013), D-Day (2014), and Dedh Ishqiya (2015).
She debuted in TV serials with ‘Upanishad Ganga’ in 2012, in which she played the character of Pundalik’s wife Nati Hussaini.
In 2016, she debuted in the Malayalam film ‘White.’
In 2017, she played the character of viceroy in the Hollywood film ‘Viceroy’s House.’
She made her Tamil debut with the film ‘Kaala’ (2018) along with the legendary actor Rajinikanth.
In 2018, she appeared as a judge in the TV reality show ‘India’s Best Dramebaaz.’
She debuted in the Hindi Netflix series ‘Leila’ in 2019.
She was roped in for the American Netflix series ‘Army of the Dead’ in 2020.
- In 2014, she was blamed for breaking the marriage of Anurag Kashyap and Kalki Koechlin. Hindustan Times
- Huma’s rumoured love affair with Sohail Khan in 2016 was in news. There was news that Salman Khan was not happy with her closeness with his younger brother. DNA India
Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV
- Food: Shaami Kebabs, Biryani, Sushi, Galauti, and Malai Tikkas
- Film(s): Kaagaz Ke Phool (1959), Om Shanti Om (2007), Titanic (1997), and Blue Valentine (2010)
- Perfume: Daisy by Marc Jacobs
- Her parents were not happy with her career as an actor. In an interview, she revealed,
Dad felt that too much of studying had affected my mind. My parents suggested me to go abroad and do MBA. But when I told dad that all my life I’d regret not being able to fulfill my dreams because of him, he became emotional. The very next day, he brought me to Mumbai. He said, ‘If nothing happens in a year, come back to a normal life.”
- She was supposed to debut with the 2012 film ‘Billa II: The Beginning,’ but the film was delayed.
- When she was asked about her struggling years in Mumbai, she said,
While my dad could afford to get me an independent house and a car, I did not want to ask him for too much money when I shifted to Mumbai. I stayed as a PG in Juhu with four other girls in a tiny place where each of us had a bed and a cabinet and we would have fights everyday on who would use the washroom first. I would eat from dabbas, travel in a rickshaw, sometimes even walk to save the money. I had decided to give myself one year before I returned.”
- She is quite close to the theatre director and acting teacher, N. K. Sharma. She considers him her lucky mascot.
- She was a geek in her school and college days. In an interview, she said,
I love books. In fact, I was a geek in college and school. I became an actor by mistake. Now I have become fashionable, but initially, I used to wear my dad’s shirts. In my home in Delhi, I still have more books than clothes.”
- Reportedly, she was asked to change her name by a filmmaker; as her name is similar to a Pakistani actress.
- In 2014, she did a photoshoot for ‘Be Unstoppable Campaign’ in which she was holding a mannequin, condemning body shaming.
- She appeared as a guest in various TV shows like ‘Comedy Nights with Kapil’ (2013), ‘Baba Ki Chowki’ (2016), ‘Back Benchers’ (2019), and ‘The Kapil Sharma Show’ (2016).
- She appeared in the ‘Cannes Film Festival’ in 2018 and 2019.
- Her hobbies include playing basketball, reading autobiographies, and travelling.
- She has walked the ramp for many ace fashion designers in India.
- She has featured on the cover of many renowned magazines.
- She has bagged many awards for her acting skills in various films.
- Director and choreographer, Farah Khan is one of her best friends.
- A restaurant named Vatika in Varanasi (UP) serves a dish named after Huma Qureshi. Huma revealed in an interview the story behind it, she said,
We were shooting Gangs Of Wasseypur in Varanasi. Vatika was the only restaurant serving vegetarian, Italian and continental cuisine. We used to go there for lunch and sometimes coffee. Everything there was cheese based, because of the Italian influence. So I would order a customised dish and instruct them how to cook it. Other guests at the restaurant, too began requesting for the same dish. So the owner named that particular dish after me.”