Kalki Koechlin is an actress and screenwriter. She is the recipient of the National Film Award. Kalki has also been awarded the “Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters” by the French Minister of Culture for her immense contribution to cinema.
Kalki Koechlin was born on 10 January 1984 (age 35 years; as in 2019) in Pondicherry, India. Her parents were ardent followers of Sri Aurobindo, so, she spent most of her childhood in Auroville. When she was 15, her parents got divorced and she moved with her mom. She attended Hebron School in Ooty and went to Goldsmiths, the University of London to study drama and theatre.
She was shy and quiet as a child. She desired to become a criminal psychologist. While she was studying at the Goldsmiths, University of London, she started working in a theatre company named Theatre of Relativity. She acted in various plays like The Blue Room and The Dispute. Kalki also worked as a waitress on weekends when she was in London.
Height: 5′ 7″
Weight: 53 Kg
Hair Colour: Light Brown
Eye Colour: Amber
Figure Measurements: 33-24-33
Family, Caste & Husband
Kalki Koechlin belongs to a Hindu Family. She is the daughter of Joel Koechlin and Françoise Armandie. She has a brother named Oriel Koechlin.
She is the granddaughter of Maurice Koechlin, who was the chief engineer of the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty.
Kalki married Anurag Kashyap in April 2011 in a private ceremony in Ooty. However, the couple got divorced in 2015.
Kalki started her acting career by playing the role of Chanda in the drama “Dev.D” (2009). Her performance in the film earned her a Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress. Next, she appeared in “Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara” (2011) and “Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani” (2013).
Subsequently, she appeared in the political drama “Shanghai” and the supernatural thriller “Ek Thi Daayan.”
She continued her career with the independent films “Waiting” (2015), “A Death in the Gunj” (2016), and “Margarita with a Straw” (2014).
In 2011, Koechlin made her debut as a screenwriter with the crime thriller “That Girl in Yellow Boots.” She played the lead role in the film.
In addition to acting, Kalki has written, produced, and featured in various stage plays. She co-wrote the play “Skeleton Woman” along with Prashant Prakash, which won her the MetroPlus Playwright Award in 2009.
- Food: Pista, Pizza, Italian, Chinese, Indian
- Actors: Raj Kapoor, Kamal Hassan
- Actresses: Rekha, Kalpana
- Films: Dev D, Water, Dweepa
- Restaurants: Calcutta Club in Lokhandwala, Bombay Canteen
- Travel Destination: New York, Kashmir
- She is well-versed in Hindi, English, Tamil, and French.
- Her hobbies include dancing and reading.
- Koechlin is obsessed with cats.
- Her parents were hippies who met 38 years ago in India and found love and life in the country.
- Kalki hates India’s obsession with ‘Fairness creams’ and ‘white skin.’ She has always rejected the fairness cream endorsements.