Suhani Pittie is an Indian jewellery designer. She was the first Indian jewellery designer who was selected to exhibit her collection at the Miami Fashion Week in 2007.
Suhani Pittie was born on Tuesday, 14 April 1981 (age 41 years; as of 2022) to a business family in Calcutta (now Kolkata). She studied at Mahadevi Birla Girls’ High School (now called Mahadevi Birla World Academy) in Kolkata. She completed her graduation at the ‘Gemological Institute of America’ in Carlsbad, USA. In 2004, she went to Hyderabad after marriage, where she started her career in jewellery design.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx.): 50 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Husband & Children
At the age of 23, she got married to Stouvant Pittie, director at Suhani Pittie (Zorya Fashions Pvt. Ltd.).
After completing her graduation from the US at the age of 19 in 2000, Suhani Pittie started teaching at a gemology school. At the very young age of 20, she started her own training institute, where she taught the grading of diamonds and coloured stones. Her students ranged from age 16 to 81 years, including some jewellers from Kolkata. After her marriage, Suhani shifted to Hyderabad in 2004, where she started her design firm, under her own name “Suhani Pittie.” In the same year, she launched her collection of silver jewellery with Bridal Asia, and also launched her own jewellery brand “Zorya.” In 2008, her work was commissioned by New York City’s Museum of Arts and Design. Her collection “Marshes & Marigold” was presented at WLIFW SS in 2008. She took inspiration from the innocence of childhood for her collection “Child of Eden,” which she exhibited at Lakme Fashion Week Summer-Resort in 2012. Suhani Pittie was commissioned for design by Swarovski, on the occasion of their 10th Anniversary celebrations, held at the Austrian Embassy in India. Her work was chosen to be presented by the Travel and lifestyle channel TLC for their show “Oh My Gold,” and she was also chosen as a co-host with celebrity Lisa Ray for their episode in Hyderabad. In her career span, she has collaborated with many popular brands including Nykaa, Myntra, Jaypore, Taj group, and Swarovski. She has also collaborated with the renowned Indian painter Thota Vaikuntam, and designers Anamika Khanna, and Swarovksi for various projects. Her celebrity clientele includes Sonam Kapoor, Kareena Kapoor, Madhuri Dixit, Alia Bhatt, Vidya Balan, and Deepika Padukone among others.
- Moon Phase
- The Coral Isle
- City Safari
- Sunlit fields
- Light year
- The Mogra Muse
- Wedding Expression
- 92.5 sterling silver
- Grunge Begum (2010)
- Urban Folk (2011)
- Child of Eden (2012)
- Dances of Earth (2013)
- Nowhere People (2016)
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- In 2005, she was awarded the Devi Award for Innovation & Dynamism by The New Indian Express.
- In 2007, Suhani earned the SinGem Award for Excellence in the field of gemology.
- She was enlisted in the top 10 ‘women in India to look out for’ by Elle magazine in 2007. The Hindu
- In 2008, she was enlisted as one of the youngest Youth Icons of Andhra Pradesh by the Passionate Foundation.
- In 2009, the designer was one of the finalists at the British Council’s Young Fashion Entrepreneur Award and exhibited her collection to the Royal families of Britain and Jodhpur at the Bal Samand Lake Palace, Jodhpur.
- In 2012, she won the Audi Icon Award from Ritz magazine.
- Pittie was awarded the FICCI Young Women Achievers Award in 2012.
- The jewellery designer was also named ‘one of the 5 designers to watch out for from India’ by Vogue Italia in 2012.
- Suhani Pittie was selected in the top 10 most inventive and ingenious jewellery designers in the world by the World Gold Council in 2013.
- Femina magazine enlisted Suhani Pittie in their list of “35 most powerful women in India, under 35″ in 2013.
- She was enlisted as ‘one of the five people to watch out for in India’ by Fortune magazine in 2013.
- In 2015, the jewellery designer won the ‘Artisan Award’ from the Gem Jewellery Export Promotion Council.
- She was presented with the ‘GJTCI Award of Excellence 2016 Fourth Edition’ by Shri Vajubhai Vala, Governor of Karnataka and Shantibhai Patel, President of the Gem and Jewellery Trade Council Of India.
- Suhani Pittie was named in the list of “Cool list of 30″ by Grazia magazine.
- The magazine ‘Hi! Blitz’ enlisted Suhani Pittie as “one of India’s Top 50 Game Changers.”
- In an interview, while talking about her keen interest in designing jewellery and choosing it as a profession, she shared an incident from her childhood memories and said,
When I was in class VII, I went to the library and saw a bee embedded in an amber stone. My curiosity knew no bounds and I ran to my teacher who explained the whole process to me wherein I understood that it was a natural process. That’s it…I wanted to explore this exciting arena. At that moment it became my die hard ambition to launch a Gemological Institute in India as I realised that out here people were completely ignorant about this subject,” The Hindu
- Suhani Pittie’s style of combining western minimalistic forms with traditional frames makes her design unique from others. She mainly includes gems, or even jute, buttons, and crystals or pearls in her designs. Talking about her designing style in an interview, she said,
I like to use a combination of vintage and modern. I connect with things which are Indian and then try to make them contemporary. I like to use a lot of experimental materials which make this possible.” The Economic Times
- The famous fashion designer Anamika Khanna is her sister.
- In an interview, while talking about the struggle she faced at the beginning of her career, she revealed how tough it was for her to find the right workers for her. She said,
When I started three years ago, the biggest challenge I had to overcome was to find the right karigars who had an open mind and were ready to listen to what I was saying. This was no easy task as all over our country karigars are used to doing the traditional gold, the oxidized silver or the wax casts. I fit in none of the above. So it was a lot of trial and error. But now I am very happy with my team!”
- In an interview, she revealed how she used to try different hacks from old things like she used a miniature grandfather clock as a pendant, traditional anklets as stands for bowls, wearing her Zara shirts with 100 years old lehngas, and antique nose-pins as hair clips. Mint
- Suhani revealed in an interview that in her childhood, she was more leaned towards sports and used to play football on the streets.
- She was a brilliant student at school who not only excel in her studies but also participated in extracurricular activities. She was the head girl of her school and headed the school interact club.
- Her collections mainly feature the designs of elegant leaves, entwining vines, roses, peacocks, and the beak of the Hornbill.
- Besides designing jewellery, Suhani also writes on fashion and jewellery. She is a former columnist with Deccan Chronicle, The Telegraph, and The Indian Express.
- Many fashion websites have featured Suhani Pittie’s work including “Style.com.” LinkedIn – Suhani Pittie
- Her flagship store in Hyderabad is known for various gifting ideas and many popular websites including Condenast Traveller and Lonely Planet have enlisted the store as one of the “must-visit” destinations in Hyderabad. LinkedIn – Suhani Pittie
- Bollywood actress Sonam Kapoor wore the jewellery designed by Suhani Pittie at the Cannes Film Festival for seven consecutive 7 years.
- In 2011, Suhani Pittie was invited as a speaker at the World Crafts Council event, held in New Delhi.