Kapil Sharma is a well-known stand-up comedian who is popularly known for his comedy show The Kapil Sharma Show. In 2016, he ranked 11 by Forbes India on the list of Celebrity 100. Check out Kapil Sharma Wiki, Height, Weight, Age, Girlfriend, Caste, Family, Biography & More.
He was born on 2 April 1981 in Amritsar, Punjab, India. His friends call him by his nickname Kappu. During his childhood days, he wanted to be a singer but later, he made his name as a comedian. He is a multi-talented person and has great singing, acting, and comedy skills. He struggled a lot in his life to help his family financially. While he was in 10th standard, he used to work in a PCO. He also worked in a cloth mill for few months. After that, he started doing theatre and also did some small shows. He later started participating in comedy shows and earned huge success. He is very close to his family members and always give credit to his mother for his success. When he won the comedy reality show The Great Indian Laughter Challenge, he received the prize money of Rs 10 lakh which he spent on the wedding of his sister. Kapil has done campaigning to save animals and adopt homeless animals like cats and dogs. He has also done campaigning for the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan to keep the society clean.
Kapil is approximately 5’ 9” tall and weighs around 70 kg. His chest is to be around 40 Inches, and biceps to be around 14 Inches. He has dark brown eyes and black hair.
Family, Caste & Girlfriend
He belongs to a middle-class Brahmin family. His late father Jeetendra Kumar Punj worked as a head constable in Punjab Police and his mother Janak Rani is a homemaker. His father died in 2004 due to cancer at AIIMS Delhi. Kapil is Hindu by religion. He has a brother Ashok Kumar Sharma and a sister Pooja Sharma.
Earlier, he had an affair with the creative director Preeti Simoes. He is in a relationship with actress Ginni Chatrath and the duo got engaged in 2013. They together first seen on the set of comedy reality show Hans Baliye.
He did his schooling at Shri Ram Ashram Senior Secondary School, Amritsar, Punjab and did his Bachelor of Arts degree from Hindu College, Amritsar. During his college days, he used to participate in singing, dancing, and drama competitions. He received several awards at that time. In 2006, he took part in the Punjabi comedy reality show Hasde Hasande Ravo that aired on MH One. After that, he took part in another Punjabi comedy show The Great Punjabi Comedy Show.
In 2007, he participated in Hindi comedy reality show The Great Indian Laughter Challenge Season 3 and declared as the winner of that season. He also participated in many other comedy shows like Ustaadon Ka Ustaad (2009), Hans Baliye (2009), Comedy Circus (2010-2013), and Star Ya Rockstar (2011).
In 2008, he hosted the comedy TV show Chhote Miyan. He also hosted the Season 6 of dance reality show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa along with TV host Manish Paul in 2013.
He made his acting debut in 2010 by playing the role of Thakur’s son in the Bollywood film Bhavnao Ko Samjho.
He consecutively won the six seasons of Comedy Circus such as Comedy Circus Ke SuperStars (2010), Comedy Circus Ka Jadoo (2010), Jubilee Comedy Circus (2010-2011), Comedy Circus Ke Taansen (2011), Comedy Circus Ka Naya Daur (2011), and Kahani Comedy Circus Ki (2011-2012).
He later founded his own production company, K9 Productions. In 2013, he started hosting his own comedy show Comedy Nights with Kapil under his production house that aired on Colors TV. It later became the highest-rated scripted television show in India. Kapil received the Entertainer of the Year -2013 award at CNN-IBN Indian of the Year Awards. The show ran successfully for three years but due to some differences with Colors TV, the show ended in 2016.
He hosted several awards shows like 60th Filmfare Awards in 2015, Star Guild Awards in 2015, 22nd Star Screen Awards in 2016, 61st Filmfare Awards in 2016, and 62nd Filmfare Awards in 2017.
In 2014, he was chosen to be the brand ambassador for the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections by the Delhi Election Commission.
In 2015, he got the lead role of Shivkumar Ramkrishan Punj in the Bollywood film Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon. Though the film received a legal notice from court due to similarities with Kannada film Nimbehuli (2014), he received positive reviews from critics.
In 2016, he started hosting another comedy show The Kapil Sharma Show that aired on Sony Entertainment Television but due to his health issues, the show ended in August 2017.
He made his guest appearance on several popular TV shows like Kaun Banega Crorepati Season 8 in 2014, The Anupam Kher Show in 2014, Farah Ki Daawat in 2015, Aap Ki Adalat in 2015, Dance India Dance in 2015, Indian Idol Junior in 2015, The Voice in 2015, Aaj Ki Raat Hai Zindagi in 2015, Koffee with Karan Season 5 in 2017, and Bigg Boss Season 11 in 2017.
In 2017, he produced and acted in the Bollywood film Firangi but the film failed at the box office.
In 2018, he again started running his own comedy show Family Time with Kapil Sharma and hosts along with actress Neha Pendse.
- In 2014, he was paid a whopping price of Rs 1.25 crore for hosting the extra innings of Celebrity Cricket League Season 4 but at the last moment, he refused to host the event because he didn’t get a vanity van of his own.
- In 2015, during the International Marathi Film Festival Awards, he allegedly misbehaved with his female co-stars Deepali Sayyad, Tanishaa Mukerji, and Monali Thakur. Earlier, he denied that allegations but later tweeted – “I fall, I rise, I make mistakes, I live, I learn, I’ve been hurt but I am alive. I am human, I am not perfect but I am thankful 🙂 (sic)”
- Once during an award function of Bollywood, the popular actress Priyanka Chopra kept him waiting for almost three hours. When she arrived, she still said that she was not ready. After hearing this, Kapil threw his earphones on the floor and said, “Ladies logon ka yehi problem hai, madam abhi tak tayaar nahin hain.”
- A complaint was lodged against him with the Maharastra State Commission for Women when he cracked the joke by saying that travelling on a pothole-riddled road can help a poor, pregnant woman pop out the baby. The women activists felt that it was a derogatory joke.
- In 2016, after the completion of two and half years of Comedy Nights with Kapil, Colors TV parted ways with him by claiming that he had demanded repeated hikes in remuneration and he even violated some clauses in contract by hosting the show on rival channels.
- In 2016, some nurses and nursing students from Amritsar filed a complaint against Kapil Sharma for The Kapil Sharma Show at a police station by alleging that the show has demeaned their profession by objectifying them. One of the nursing students said, “This is insulting; no nurse behaves like this in real life. We are part of a dignified profession.” Another said, “The kind of relationship that has been depicted between a doctor and a nurse on the show is derogatory. Our community is against the kind of uniform worn by the actor Rochelle Rao, who plays a nurse.” Another nurse said, “Doing comedy is one thing but demeaning someone’s profession is quite another.”
- On 9 September 2016, Kapil tweeted “I am paying 15 crores income tax from last 5 years and still I have to pay 5 lacs bribe to BMC office for making my office Narendra Modi,”. He also added “Yeh hain aapke achhe din? @narendramodi,”. After which, the vigilance officer Manohar Pawar of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said “We request Mr Sharma to share the name of the official and enable BMC to take strict action,” The chief minister of Maharashtra Devendra Fadnavis said “Kapilbhai please provide all information. Have directed MC, BMC to take strictest action. We will not spare the culprit.” According to reports, the officials alleged that he had carried out some internal changes illegally without the permission of BMC.
- In 2017, a drunk Kapil Sharma abused stand-up comedian Chandan Prabhakar while they travelled by air. When Sunil Grover tried to solve out the issue between them, Kapil then assaulted Sunil verbally and physically.
- Kapil is a left-hander.
- He considers Gurpreet Ghuggi as his guru.
- He is fondly called as Comedy King by his fans.
- Gurdas Maan and Sardool Sikander are his favourite musicians.
- His favourite destination is London and at there, his favourite restaurant is Chak89.
- Akshay Kumar is his all-time favourite actor and Deepika Padukone is his favourite actress.
- Kapil appeared on the cover of various popular magazines like GR8!, etc.
- He is an avid animal lover.