Ghanshyam Nayak was an Indian film and television actor who was well known for his character ‘Nattu Kaka’ in a Hindi Indian comedy show ‘Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah’ broadcasted on SAB Television.
Ghanshyam Nayak was born on Friday, 12 May 1944 (age 77 years; at the time of death) in Village Undhai, Gujarat.
Height (approx.): 5’ 3”
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Parents & Siblings
Ghanshyam Nayak (extreme right), his father (centre), his grandfather (left)
Wife & Children
Ghanshyam Nayak was married to Nirmaladevi Nayak, and she is a homemaker.
The couple has a son named Vikas Nayak, who is a manager in the National Stock Exchange, and two daughters named Bhavna Nayak and Tejal Nayak. Tejal Nayak is a teacher in Mumbai.
Ghanshyam Nayak began his acting career in 1959 as a child artist with the Bollywood song ‘Nani Teri Morni Ko Mor Le Gye.’ In this song, Farhan Akhtar‘s mother Honey Irani appeared as a child artist along with him. According to Ghanshyam Nayak, he was pursuing his school education when he was given the opportunity to act in Bollywood films. He said in an interview with a media house,
In 1959, when I was a school-going student, I made my acting debut with Farhan Akhtar’s mom Honey Irani film. That time she was also a child artist and the main lead in the film. She was 4-years-old and the song of our film ‘Naani Teri Morni Ko Mor Le Gaye’ is still a very popular song. We shot for the song in Malad (Bombay Talkies). Post that I have done a lot many films, with Ashok Kumar to Amitabh Bachchan. I did Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, Kacche Dhaage, Krantivir and today also, I get work offers.”
In 1960, he bagged another role as a child artist in the movie Masoom.
Ghanshyam Nayak was also a singer. He sang the songs in several Gujarati movies. He also sang along with veteran Bollywood singers like Asha Bhosle & Mahendra Kapoor.
Apart from acting and singing, Ghanshyam also worked as a voice-over artist in over 350 Gujarati movies. In the Hindi film ‘Ek Aur Sangram’ and the Bhojpuri film ‘Bairi Sawan,’ he gave his voice to veteran actor Kanhaiyalal.
In 2002, Ghanshyam Nayak began working in the television show Khichadi as a salesman. Later, he appeared in several television serials including ManiMatku (a Gujarati show), Philips Top 10 as Makhkhan, Ek Mahal Ho Sapno Ka as Mohan, Dill mill Gaye as a patient, Sarathi as Ghanu Kaka, Sarabhai vs Sarabhai as Vitthal Kaka. He started working as Natwarlal Prabhashankar Udhaiwala also known as Nattu Kaka in Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah in 2008. In 2012, he worked in a Gujarati show titled Chhuta Chheda and also began working in the popular Hindi show Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah on SAB TV.
- Food: Pao Bhaji
- Travel Destination: Nepal
- Colour: Peach
Ghanshyam Nayak died on 3 October 2021 after battling cancer. The Times of India Bhupendra Patel, the Chief Minister of Gujarat, took to his Twitter handle to pay his condolences to the grieving family of Ghanshyam Nayak on his demise. He wrote,
Gujarati theatre has suffered a great loss due to the untimely demise of the famous Shri Ghanshyambhai Nayak, nicknamed ‘Natukaka’ from the serial ‘Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah’.”
- In a conversation with a media house, Ghanshyam Nayak narrated that he taught some Gujarati folk dance (Bhavai) steps to Aishwarya Rai Bachchan during the shooting of the movie Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam. He told,
There are many memories related to ‘Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam’. At that time Aishwarya Rai was new in the industry. She respected me a lot and was friendly too. I taught Bhavai (Gujarati Dance and Drama) in Gujarati to Aishwarya. Sometimes Aishwarya used to touch my feet too.”
- During the Covid-19 pandemic, on several social media sites, it was rumoured that Ghanshyam Nayak was out of work, and he was suffering financial crises. However, soon after hearing the rumours on social media, he took to his social media account to disclose that he was not facing any financial woes and enjoying the lockdown with his children and grandchildren by watching his old movies. He said,
I am not suffering from any financial crisis. I am enjoying my time at home with my grandchildren and my children are actually helping people who need any kind of help. I am neither unemployed nor suffering from any financial woes.”
- Ghanshyam used to reach on the shooting sets on an auto-rickshaw. He narrated in an interview with a media house that he liked to converse with his fans while travelling in the rickshaw.
- Ghanshyam Nayak kept his three children away from the entertainment industry. In a conversation with a media house, Ghanshyam revealed that he did not want his children to struggle like him in the entertainment industry. He stated,
I have three children and none of them is into acting career. I don’t want my children to struggle like me. They have seen their father’s struggle to survive and that was enough for them. They all are very creative in their own way but none of them wants to become an actor. Honestly, I am happy with their decision.”
- Ghanshyam Nayak was a veteran Indian cinema actor who was known for his dedicated acting skills. Once, in a conversation with a media house, he expressed his emotions and narrated that he wanted to learn and deliver dialogues amid the cancer treatment, and he had absolutely no problem working on television until his last breath.
- Ghanshyam Nayak disclosed in an interview with a media house in June 2021 that he had been suffering from cancer for a long time, and he underwent chemotherapy sessions during treatment. He revealed that he had shot a special episode of Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah in Daman in June, and he enjoyed it a lot. Hindustan Times He said,
My health is fine, but treatment had to be started again. Currently, I am undergoing chemotherapy sessions. It was after four months that I shot a special episode for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah in Daman last week and believe me, I enjoyed a lot.”
- According to Ghanshyam Nayak, for the first forty to forty-five years, he used to get only three rupees for working 24 hours in the Bollywood movies. While narrating his life story to a media house, he stated that initially, he struggled a lot and used to pay his house rent from the borrowed money. He further added that when he began working in the Indian television show ‘Tarak Mehta Ka Oolta Chasmah’ as ‘Nattu Kaka,’ his life totally changed as his character in the show received great appreciation from the audience. Soon, he was able to purchase two flats in Mumbai.