Bhupendra Patel was born on Sunday, 15 July 1962 (age 59 years; as of 2021) in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. His zodiac sign is Cancer. In April 1992, he earned a diploma in civil engineering at Government Polytechnic Ahmedabad, Technical Examination Board, Gandhinagar, Gujarat. My Neta
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Grey (Semi-bald)
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Rajnikantbhai Patel. His mother’s name is not known. The name of his younger brother is Ketan Patel.
Wife & Children
His wife’s name is Hetal Patel.
His son’s name is Anuj Patel, and Devanshi Patel is Bhupendra Patel’s daughter-in-law.
Bhupendra Patel was a member of the Memnagar Municipality from the years 1995 to 1996, 1999 to 2000 and 2004 to 2006. In 2008-10, he served as a Chairman of the Ahmedabad School Board. In 2012, Bhupendra Patel introduced the idea of fee reduction to builders to encourage the Building Regulating Scheme, and he received appreciation for this initiative from the then Chief Minister Narendra Modi. He served as the Councilor of Thaltej Ward from 2010 to 2015. During the same period, Bhupendra Patel also served as the Chairman of the Standing Committee of the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation. From 2015 to 2017, he served as the Chairman of the Ahmedabad Urban Development Authority (AUDA). During his tenure in AUDA, he accelerated the infrastructure projects including flyovers and roads in Sanand and Bopal. In 2017, he was elected as the MLA in the Gujarat Legislative Assembly elections from the Ghatlodia constituency. He was preceded by Anandiben Patel. In these elections, Bhupendra Patel defeated his opponent, Shashikant Patel of the Indian National Congress, with a margin of 1,17,000 votes. The Hindu Business Line
— TOI Ahmedabad (@TOIAhmedabad) September 12, 2021
On 12 September 2021, he was chosen as the Chief Minister of Gujarat. The former Chief Minister of Gujarat Vijay Rupani resigned from the post of Chief Minister of Gujarat on 11 September 2021. In an interview with BBC media, Journalist and political analyst Faisal Bakili said,
Perhaps the party has chosen a brand new face as the Chief Minister due to speculation that there is an anti-incumbency wave against the BJP government in Gujarat.”
On 13 September 2021, he took the oath as the seventeenth Chief Minister of Gujarat.
- Cash: Rs. 1,39,356
- Deposits in Banks: Rs 2,59,757
- LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs 1,39,00,000
- Personal loans/advances: Rs 62,76,992
- Motor Vehicles: Rs 7,72,630
- Jewellery: Rs 41,90,000
- Non-Agricultural Land: Rs 30,00,000
- Commercial Buildings: Rs 59,00,000
- Residential Buildings: Rs 1,81,20,000
- Loans from Banks: Rs 9,18,715
- Loans due to Individual/Entity: Rs 60,36,992
Net Worth (approx.)
- Bhupendra Patel is a builder by profession, who has never been a minister of any department in Gujarat.
- Bhupendra Patel has been associated with Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) for a long time. Hindustan Times
- Bhupendra Patel is also associated with National Democratic Alliance.
- Patel is considered a close aide to Anandiben Patel, the former Chief Minister of Gujarat and the first woman Chief Minister of the state. Hindustan Times
- In September 2021, Bhupendra Patel was chosen as the Chief Minister of Gujarat by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and it was a surprise for his whole family. Republic World In an interview with Republic media, Patel’s wife exclaimed,
It’s like Diwali today. We didn’t expect him to be the Chief Minister. It was so unexpected that we did not even get time to plan his proper welcome.”
Bhupendra Patel’s daughter-in-law stated,
This was never expected; a complete surprise for our family. Even we saw it on the news. We are excited. He will be given a traditional welcome when he returns home.”
His younger brother added,
We didn’t expect him to be the Chief Minister. It was so unexpected that we did not even get time to plan his proper welcome. There is a joyous atmosphere at home. We can’t express how happy we are. All relatives and neighbours have gathered at our place to celebrate. We were not expecting this. It’s a surprise from Prime Minister Narendra Modi.”
- In September 2021, Bhupendra Patel’s name was not on the long list of probable nominated Chief Ministers when Vijay Rupani resigned at the age of 65 as the Chief Minister of Gujarat. Patel emerged as the dark horse. The Times of India
- Home Minister of India Amit Shah congratulated Bhupendra Patel on being chosen as the 17th Chief Minister of Gujarat. He messaged him,
I am confident under the guidance and leadership of PM Narendra Modi, the state’s development journey will continue with new energy and momentum.”
- Bhupendra Patel was also seen supporting and participating in International Yoga Day in 2019.
- Bhupendra Patel is a follower and devotee of Bhagwan Dada, a spiritual leader in Gujarat. New Indian Express
- Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi congratulated Bhupendra Patel on his Twitter account after he was chosen as the Chief of Gujarat on 13 September 2021.
- During Bhupendra Patel’s tenure as an MLA, IP Gautam, former corporation commissioner and member of Lokpal, appreciated Patel’s work in a media conference. He stated,
In my view, he has been a wonderful mediator between the public representatives of the AMC and the bureaucrats. He used to deal with people on a very practical level. He also had a very practical approach towards budgeting and policy making. It is a matter of pride for me to work with him.”