Sukhwinder Singh is an internationally acclaimed Indian playback singer. He came into the spotlight after singing the “Chaiyya Chaiyya” for the Bollywood film ‘Dil Se..,” but it was the song “Jai Ho” from the film ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ that introduced him to the international audience. Having delivered many popular hits for more than two decades, Sukhwinder is one of the top singers of India.
Sukhwinder Singh was born on Sunday, 18 July 1971 (47 years; as in 2019) in Sharika Pind, Amritsar. His zodiac sign is Cancer. He developed an interest in music when he was just 4 years old and started learning music. At the age of 8, Sukhwinder gave his first stage performance on the song ‘Sa Re Ga Ma’ from the film “Abhinetri.” He went to Leicester in London to learn music. Sukhwinder then released a Punjabi album “Southhall Da with T. Singh” and Laxmikant-Pyarelal.
Height (approx.): 5’ 6”
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Girlfriend
Not much is known about his family. His parents had passed away when he was just 9 years old. He was in a relationship with the singer and actress, Jasleen Matharu for a while.
Marital Status: Unmarried
Sukhwinder Singh started his singing career in 1986 by singing a few lines in the film “Karma.” He, then, lent his voice to the song “Aaja Sanam” from the film ‘Khilaaf.’ After that, he took a sabbatical from work and travelled around the world, understanding different forms of music. He visited Russia, three countries in the Middle East, America, Europe, China, Hong Kong, and Mexico. Upon his return to Mumbai, Sukhwinder paired up with A. R. Rahman to record “Chaiyya Chaiyya” for the film ‘Dil Se…’ The song became a huge hit and Sukhwinder received a lot of popularity.
Subsequently, he worked as a playback singer in films like “Taal,” “Apna Sapna Money Money,” “Shaadi Se Pehle,” “Shabd,” “Chak De! India,” “Om Shanti Om,” and “Black & White.” Some of his most popular songs include “Haule Haule,” “Saaki,” “Ramta Jogi,” “Jaane Tu Mera Kya Hai,” and “Thok De Killi.”
Sukhwinder has done playback singing for many popular Bollywood actors including Salman Khan, Shahrukh Khan, Arjun Rampal, Anil Kapoor, Akshay Kumar, Saif Ali Khan, and Ajay Devgn. In 2008, his song “Jai Ho” from the film ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ won many accolades and made his mark internationally.
In 2014, he participated in the dance reality show “Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 7.”
- Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer for the song “Chaiyya Chaiyya” from the film ‘Dil Se..” (1999)
- Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer for the song “Haule Haule” from the film ‘Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi’ (2009)
- Academy Award for Best Original Song for the song “Jai Ho” from the film ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ (2009)
- Grammy Award for Best Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media for the song “Jai Ho’ (2010)
- National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer for his rendition of the song “Bismil Bismil” in the film ‘Haider’ (2014)
- Silver Lotus Award for Best Male Playback Singer for the film ‘Haider’ (2015)
- Golden Sparrow Award for Best Male Playback Singer at India’s first Diorama International Film Festival & Market for the song “Kar Har Maidan Fateh” from the film ‘Sanju’ (2019)
- Food: Mexican Food, Methi Aloo, Amritsari Kulcha, Pav Bhaji, Mangalorean Rice, and Fish Curry
- Travel Destination: Mexico
- Colour: White
- Sukhwinder loves doing yoga.
- He has sung more than 7 songs for Shah Rukh Khan, and all of them have been huge hits.
- He is an ardent follower of Lord Shiva and Goddess Saraswati.
- Sukhwinder has worked as a music director in around 10 Bollywood films.
- His hit track “Chaiyya Chaiyya” from the film ‘Dil Se..” was later opted in the Hollywood film “Inside Man,” which starred actors like Denzel Washington and Jodie Foster.
- Singh was just 13 years old when he composed the famous Punjabi song “Tutak Tutak Tutiya” for the singer Malkit Singh.
- Sukhwinder has got a ‘mike’ tattooed on his left bicep.
- He draws inspiration from Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.
- Sukhwinder told during an interview that he wakes up early in the morning. The Hindu
- He is mostly known for his Sufi tunes, but Sukhwinder once revealed that he loved singing dance numbers.
- Sukhwinder sang an opera for the first time for the Bollywood film “Sachin: A Billion Dreams.”
- He is a dog lover and owns two pomeranian dogs. Forbes India
- The popular music composer, A. R. Rahman once called Sukhwinder and asked if he could write a song for Govind Nihalani film “Thakshak.” Although Sukhwinder had never attempted that kind of assignment before, he decided to give it a try and wrote ‘Mujhe Rang De.’ The song was a huge hit and also marked the beginning of their friendship.
- Sukhwinder told in an interview that he practised singing while running on the treadmill so as to maintain the quality of his voice.
- Not just in India, Sukhwinder has made a mark in the international market as well. Around 50 per cent of his audience includes non-Indians. Sukhwinder has a massive fan following in the UK, where he began his music career.
- His friends and family fondly call him Sukhi. Times Now News
References [ + ]