Shirley Setia is an Indo-Kiwi singer, radio jockey, Youtuber, and a performer. She is a social media star with more than 6.5 million subscribers on Youtube, 689K followers on Instagram, and 2.2 million followers on Facebook. Setia featured in the Forbes Magazine, where she was referred to as “Bollywood’s Next Big Singing Sensation.”
Shirley Setia was born on 2 July 1993 (age 25 years; as in 2018) in Daman, India. Her zodiac sign is Cancer.
Her family moved to Auckland when Setia was just seven years old. She was a bright student and wanted to be an astronaut in her school days. She attended the University of Auckland to pursue her B.com. Shirley also went under a marketing and publicity internship at the Auckland Council. Thereafter, she went on to pursue a course from the New York Film Academy.
Shirley had a soft corner for music since her childhood. She grew up listening to the songs of Kishor Da, Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle that played at her home, which kept her attached to the Indian music. Although she never planned music as a career option, she started making videos of cover songs for fun sake and they went viral.
Height: 5′ 3″
Weight: 48 Kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Figure Measurements: 33-25-33
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
Shirley Setia belongs to a Khatri Family. Her father, Raj Setia, is a businessman who belongs to Hisar. Her mother belongs to Goa. She has a younger brother, Shane Setia. Shirley was very close to her grandfather. She is unmarried.
Setia started her career as a Radio Jockey in Auckland with Radio Trana; a radio station that played Hindi content in Auckland. During her journey as a radio jockey, she met many Bollywood singers like Shreya Ghoshal who encouraged her to pursue singing as her career. In 2013, the Indian music label T-Series organised a Youtube competition for which Shirley recorded a cover of the song “Tum Hi Ho” on YouTube. She not just won the competition but also managed to gather a huge number of views on her YouTube Upload. It further encouraged her to make the covers of many popular Bollywood songs that were liked by the audience. Her channel is ranked among the top #30 Most Subscribed channels on YouTube in New Zealand. Later, she collaborated with many YouTube celebrities from around the world including Sanam Puri, Arjun, Kurt Hugo Schneider, Darrel Mascarenhas, Antareep Hazarika and The Gunsmith.
In addition to social media, she also performs live in many concerts and events.
In 2018, she released her first single “Naiyo Jaana” in collaboration with the music director Ravi Singal. Subsequently, she released a Punjabi track “Koi Vi Nahi” along with the singer Gurnazar Chattha.
- Food: Pizza
- Actors: Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Ranbir Kapoor, Ranveer Singh
- Actress: Hilary Duff, Alia Bhatt
- Style Icon: Kareena Kapoor
- Film: Wake Up Sid
- Musicians: Lata Mangeshkar, A.R.Rahman, Arijit Singh, Shaan, Shreya Ghoshal, Sonu Nigam, Shankar Mahadevan
- Rapper: Badshah
- Her hobby is doing nail art and playing the guitar.
- The first song that Shirley sang on stage was ‘Iktara’ from the film “Wake Up Sid.”
- Surprisingly, Setia is not a trained singer.
- Shirley has sung numerous Bollywood tracks but according to her, “Manmarziyan” from the film “Lootera” is her most favourite.
- Shirley has once performed on the same stage as the Padma Shri Pankaj Udhas. He even complimented Shirley after her performance and said- “You sang very well, well done. All the best.”
- Shirley has earned the moniker “Pyjama Popstar” as she recorded her first video while sitting in her bedroom wearing pyjamas.