Sonu Kakkar is an Indian playback singer. She is the elder sister of the Bollywood singer, Neha Kakkar.
Sonu Kakkar was born on Saturday, 20 October 1979 (age 40 years; as in 2019) in Rishikesh, Uttarakhand. Her zodiac sign is Libra. Sonu did her class 8 from a school in Rishikesh and completed her further schooling from an open board. She has never attended college. She was inclined towards music from a very young age and started singing at Jagrans when she was just 4 years old. As she grew older, she started receiving offers to sing in the jagarans from the nearby towns and cities of Rishikesh.
She, later, shifted to Mumbai and participated in Channel V’s singing reality show, Indian Pop Star. Although Sonu didn’t win the competition, she was spotted by the music director, Sandeep Chowta, who promised to give her an opportunity to sing in his next film.
Height (approx.): 5’ 4”
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Family, Caste & Husband
Sonu Kakkar belongs to a Hindu Khatri Family. WikipediaShe is the daughter of Rishikesh Kakkar and Niti Kakkar. She has a younger brother, Tony Kakkar and a younger sister, Neha Kakkar.
Sonu Kakkar got married to Neeraj Sharma in 2006.
Sonu Kakkar started her singing career in 2003 with the song “Babuji Zaara Dheer Chalo” from the film ‘Dum.’ Subsequently, she lent her voice for the songs Seduction Saavariya, Ishq Da Tadka, Kar Mundya, and Lawani. In 2014, she released her single “Urban Munda” and received wide popularity.
Sonu has sung songs in many different languages. She made her Kannada debut with the song “Oora Kannu” from the film ‘Ranga SSLC;’ Telugu debut with the song “Pavan Laa” from the film ‘Kokila;’ Tamil debut with the song ” Dhinam Dhinam Deepavali” from the film ‘Varalaru;’ Marathi debut with the song “Mastani Jwanit Mazya” from the film ‘Nau Mahine Nau Diwas;’ Malayalam debut with the song “Dil Lena” from the film ‘Kalimannu;’ and Punjabi debut with the song “Gustakh Akhan” from the film ‘Jag Jeondeyan De Mele.’ She has also sung a Nepali song “Salaam Lijiye Kabool Kijiye” from the film ‘Kohinoor.’
- Fruit: Watermelon
- Clothing & Accessories Brands: Michael Kors, Jimmy Choo
- Singers: Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali Khan, Lata Mangeshkar
- Her hobbies include travelling and shopping.
- Sonu has never received any formal training in music. She learnt music by listening to the songs of many popular singers.
- Sonu is the first person from her family to step into the world of music.
- She is an ardent follower of Lord Ganesha.
- She has featured on the cover of the Score Magazine.
- When Sonu was a kid, her father used to sell samosas outside her school. Her classmates often used to tease her for that.