Prateek Kuhad is an Indian singer-songwriter and independent musician who has not only earned fame in India but also internationally.
Prateek Kuhad was born on Friday, 23 March 1990 (age 30 years; as in 2020) in the Jaipur City of Rajasthan. His zodiac sign is Aries.
He finished his schooling from Maharaja Sawai Man Singh Vidyalaya in Jaipur. After completing schooling, he moved to New York and attended New York University’s College of Arts & Science, where he did a double major in Mathematics and Economics. At the age of 16, he started taking guitar lessons, which he left after a short time.
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Girlfriend
His father is a lawyer, and his mother is a teacher. He has two sisters.
He is in a relationship with Niharika Thakur, who is a doctor.
In 2013, Prateek returned to India to pursue his career in Music. He released his first EP (Extended Play) titled “Raat Raazi” in 2013. His songs are both in English and Hindi.
He released his first full-length album “In Tokens & Charms” in 2015. The album became an instant hit and earned the international recognition.
He made his Bollywood debut as a singer and songwriter with the song “Kho Gaye Hum Kahan” from the film “Baar Baar Dekho” (2016).
Apart from this, he also writes for advertisements and films. He has performed in his world tours across India, and internationally, in the countries like Canada and the US.
Awards & Achievements
- Indie Album of the Year 2015 by iTunes for the album “In Tokens & Charms”
- Radio City Freedom Awards for Best Pop Artist in 2018
- Indian Indie Album of the Year 2019 by iTunes and Spotify: Top Indian Indie Hits for the album, “Cold/Mess”
- Bands: Euphoria, Strings,
- Singer(s): Lucky Ali, Elliott Smith
- Poem: “Do not go gentle into that good night” by Dylan Thomas
- Author: Haruki Murakami
- He likes doing photography, writing, and reading poems and novels.
- As a Child, Prateek grew up listening to the Bollywood songs on TV and Radio. He also listened to his parent’s playlist of their favourite artists- Harry Belafonte and Cliff Richards. He also listened to his sister’s playlist, which consisted of the songs of Pink Floyd, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam. All of these influenced his interest in music.
- In his school days, Prateek had a band and was also writing songs but only for the fun. He didn’t have a plan on making his career in music.
- When he was in New York, he was inspired by the American singer-songwriter, Elliott Smith. He also started listening to Indian Folk Music, which influenced his music and songwriting.
- While in New York, he was also producing songs and had started performing at local gigs.
- After completing his college, he worked as an Economic Consultant for four to five months, in New York, but later, realized that he did not want to do that for the rest of his life. He returned to India and started to work on his music.
- He has also performed at South by Southwest’s Music Festival with the artists like Alt-J and Mike Posner.
- In 2019, the former President of the United States, Barack Obama, shared his favourite music of 2019, which included Prateek’s album “Cold/Mess.” Sharing his joy, Prateek, on his Instagram account, wrote-
This just happened and I don’t think I’ll sleep tonight. Totally flipping out. I have no idea how cold/mess even reached him but thank you @barackobama, thank you universe 🙂 I didn’t think 2019 could’ve gotten better, but damn was I wrong. What an honour.”
- He is a dog lover and owns two dogs; one of the dogs’ name is “Po.”
- Apart from the guitar, he can also play the piano.
- He has been featured in many magazines including GQ and Hindustan Times Brunch.