Himanta Biswa Sarma is an Indian politician. He is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) since 23 August 2015 and is currently (as of 2021) serving as the Chief Minister of Assam.
His family hails from Latima in the Nalbari district. He did his schooling at Guwahati’s Kamrup Academy School (1985) and went to Cotton College, Guwahati, to pursue B.A. in Political Science (1990).
Thereafter, he did an M.A. in Political Science from the same college (1992). Who’s Who- Assam Legislative Assembly While in college, he was the General Secretary (GS) of his college’s student union from 1991 to 1992. He also pursued L.L.B. from Government Law College, Guwahati. Himanta obtained a Ph.D. degree from Gauhati University. Who’s Who- Assam Legislative Assembly After completing his L.L.B., Himanta practiced law at Gauhati High Court from 1996 to 2001.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Parents & Siblings
Himanta is the son of Kailash Nath Sarma and Mrinalini Devi.
Wife & Children
He got married to Riniki Bhuyan Sarma on 7 June 2001. The couple has a son, Nandil Biswa Sarma, and a daughter, Sukanya Sarma.
Himanta Biswa Sarma started his political career in 2000 by joining the Indian National Congress. He was elected to the Assam Legislative Assembly from Jalukbari for the first time in 2001 after he defeated Bhrigu Kumar Phukan, leader of the Asom Gana Parishad. In 2006, he was re-elected to the Assam Legislative Assembly and in 2011, he was elected for the third time. From 2002 to 2014, he served as the Minister of State for Agriculture, Planning & Development, Finance, Health, Education, and Assam Accord Implementation. In 2006, he was made the Cabinet Minister for Health and in 2011, he was also given the charge of Education. During his term, he got three medical colleges built in Jorhat, Barpeta, and Tezpur. While serving as the Education Minister, Sarma abolished the interview system and for the first time, 50,000 teachers were appointed through TET. He resigned from all his positions on 21 July 2014 after having political disagreements with the former chief minister of Assam Tarun Gogoi. He was elected as an MLA from Jalukbari constituency in Assam (from INC) and held the position until his resignation from the Assembly on 15 September 2015.
In August 2015, he joined the Bharatiya Janata Party and was appointed as the party’s Convener of Election Management Committee in Assam. In May 2016, he again became an MLA from the Jalukbari constituency (from BJP). He was sworn in as the Cabinet Minister on 24 May 2016 and was allotted portfolios like Finance, Health & Family Welfare, Education, Planning & Development, Tourism, Pension & Public Grievances.
On 10 May 2021, Himanta was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Assam. Succeeding Sarbananda Sonowal, took the oath as the 15th Chief Minister of Assam. Sarma was administered the oath by Governor Jagdish Mukhi.
Himanta was unanimously elected as the President of the Badminton Association of India on 23 April 2017. In June 2016, he became the President of the Assam Cricket Association. Earlier, he served as the Vice-President of the Assam Cricket Association from 2002 to 2016.
- In 2017, Himanta attracted controversy for making a comment that people suffered from cancer and accidents because of the sins committed in the past. He called it ‘Divine Justice’ and said,
It is mentioned even in Gita, Bible about the outcome of one’s actions. No point in being sad… everyone will face the outcome of this life’s actions in this life only. Nobody can escape the divine justice that will happen.”
- In November 2020, a case was registered against Sarma for falsely claiming on his social media that AIUDF supporters raised “Pakistan Zindabad” slogans at the Silchar airport to greet Badruddin Ajmal. A complaint was filed against him by Congress at the Bhangagarh police station in Guwahati. NDTV
- In 2021, Himanta Biswa Sarma was barred by the Election Commission of India (EC) from holding public meetings, processions, rallies, roadshows, and interactions with the media for 48 hours. The EC issued the orders the congress party lodged a complaint against him, alleging that Himanta had threatened Hagrama Mohilary, chairman of the Bodoland People’s Front. The Hindu
- In September 2023, Gaurav Gogoi, an Indian politician and social worker of the Indian National Congress from Assam, alleged that Biswa’s wife had unlawfully obtained a subsidy of Rs. 10 crore from the Assam Government’s Prime Minister’s Kisan Sampada Yojana, originally intended for local entrepreneurs and farmers. In an interview, Gogoi stated that this subsidy was obtained for her company, Pride East Entertainment Private Limited. He further called for Himanta Biswa’s resignation from his position as Chief Minister of Assam for being involved in the matter. The Hindu In the interview, Gogoi said,
It hardly matters how much money has been credited to the account of the Chief Minister’s family. Government subsidies should be given to local entrepreneurs and farmers genuinely in need of support.”
Himanta Biswa and his wife, on the other hand, later refuted the claims and threatened to file a defamation suit against Gogoi. While addressing the issue in an interview, Himanta said that he would resign from his post if any evidence were found against him and his wife. Siasat Himanta Biswa said,
I have said I will quit as the CM and retire from public life if it is proved my wife or Pride East received any cheque from the Centre. One can find out through Right to Information.”
Present Address: Cottage No.-14, Old MLA Hostel, Dispur
Permanent Address: Adarsapur Bye Lane-2, Kahilipara, Guwahati-781019
- Beverage: Tea
- Sport: Cricket
- He loves reading and travelling in his leisure time. Himanta is also fond of sports and loves watching and playing sports like Hockey, Badminton, and Cricket.
- Himanta is the President of the welfare of the Deaf and Dumb society in Assam.
- In the early 80s, Sarma worked as a child artist in the blockbuster Assamese film “Kokadeuta, Nati aru Hati.” He was seen commandeering a majestic elephant in a song of the film.
- Biswa was a good debater in his college days. He participated in many debate competitions and received the best debater award in the Manik Chandra Baruah Memorial debating competition in his college.
- Sarma is also an author and has penned three books in Assamese- Samagata Samay, Bhinna Samay Abhinna Mat, and Eta Saponar Pam Khedi. He also translated Amit Shah’s biography titled ‘Amit Shah and the March of BJP’ in Assamese. The book was titled ‘Amit Shah aru Agragami BJP.’
- Himanta met his wife Riniki for the first time during his college days. While they were in college, Himanta asked Riniki to tell her mother that he was going to be the chief minister one day. He said,
Tell your mother, I will be the chief minister one day.”
- According to Himanta, Rahul Gandhi once offered him a biscuit from his pet Pidi’s plate, but he refused to eat that and quit Congress.
Pallavi ji, not only Rahul Gandhi but the entire family could not make me eat that biscuit. I am a proud Assamese and Indian . I refused to eat and resign from the Congress. https://t.co/ywumO3iuBr
— Himanta Biswa Sarma (@himantabiswa) February 5, 2024