Naba Kishore Das was an Indian politician who retained the assembly seat from the Jharsuguda constituency three consecutive times, i.e., 2009, 2014, and 2019. On 29 January 2023, while on his way to an event, Kishore was shot multiple times by Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) Gopal Das at the Brajrajnagar Gandhi Chowk in Jharsuguda district, Odisha. Following suffering for a few hours due to gunshot injuries, he breathed his last at the Apollo Hospital in Bhubaneswar.
Naba Kisore Das My Neta was born on Sunday, 7 January 1962 (age 61 years; at the time of death) in Mirgamunda, Maneswar Block, Sambalpur District, Odisha. His zodiac sign was Capricorn. He attended Mudipada Upper Primary School in Sambalpur and Government High School in Bhojpur, Sambalpur. Kishore enrolled himself at the Gangadhar Meher University (GMU) in Sambalpur, Odisha, where he earned four degrees namely, Bachelor of Legislative Law (LLB), Bachelor Of Commerce (B.Com), Master of Arts in English (MA), and Master of Commerce (M.Com). My Neta
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Kishore’s father, Narasingh Chandra Das, was a businessman, who manufactured bamboo products. His mother’s name is Bishnupriya Das. Kishore had four siblings, three brothers and one sister; two of his brothers’ names are Raj Kishore Das and Braj Kishore Das.
Wife & Children
Kishore Das was married to Minati Das. His son, Bishal Das, is a businessman, and his daughter, Deepali Das, is a politician.
Kishore Das followed Hinduism, and he was an ardent devotee of Lord Krishna.
Kishore resided in Qrs No.12/1(DS) M.L.A Colony, Unit-IV, Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
While attending the Gangadhar Meher University (GMU) in Sambalpur, Kishore Das developed an interest towards politics and joined the Student’s Federation of India (SFI) party. He was elected as the students’ union president at his college. Later, he left the SFI party and joined the Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee (OPCC) and held the position of vice president of Odisha’s National Students Union of India (NSUI) party.
Odisha Legislative Assembly
2004 Assembly Elections
Kishore Das contested the elections as the candidate of the Indian National Congress from the Jharsuguda constituency and was defeated by Biju Janata Dal’s party candidate Kishore Kumar Mohanty.
2009 Assembly Elections
Kishore contested from the Jharsuguda constituency on the party ticket of the Indian National Congress and defeated Kishore Kumar Mohanty, a candidate of the Biju Janata Dal party by a margin of 22,516 votes.
2014 Assembly Elections
Kishore was re-elected to the Jharsuguda assembly seat as the Indian National Congress candidate by defeating Kishore Kumar Mohanty, a candidate of the Biju Janata Dal party by a margin of 11,563 votes.
2019 Assembly elections
Kishore Das resigned from the Indian National Congress (INC) party on 16 January 2019 and joined the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) party. He contested from the Jharsuguda constituency and defeated Dinesh Kumar Jain, a Bharatiya Janata Party candidate, by a margin of 45699 votes. Kishore took oath as the minister of health and family welfare on 29 May 2019 in the Naveen Patnaik‘s government.
Accused of watching porn clips inside the assembly house
On 14 December 2015, during the Odhisa Assembly session, Naba Kishore Das was caught watching pornographic content on his mobile phone by a television camera person. On 15 December 2015, he was accused of demeaning the dignity of the assembly and was eventually suspended from the Odisha Assembly for a week. On the contrary, Naba Kishore claimed the allegations as baseless and stated that while surfing the net, the adult content page accidentally appeared on his phone’s screen. He said,
I was browsing my phone when by mistake I touched YouTube app and this clip popped up. The video is on YouTube. The company has sent it and I did not choose it deliberately.”
In December 2018, following the lack of evidence to validate the accusations, Kishore was discharged from the allegations levied against him.
Kishore Das owned 40 luxury cars including Mercedes Benz, Audi, Jaguar, and Tata Hydra. News18
- Cash- Rs. 15,00,000
- Bank Deposits- Rs. 1,53,83,530
- LIC or other insurance Policies- Rs. 5,61,200
- Motor Vehicle- Rs. 12,37,895
- Gold Jewellery- Rs. 1,98,450
- Other assets- Rs. 1,97,500
- Agricultural Land- Rs. 22,00,000
- Non-Agricultural Land- Rs. 28,35,000
- Residential Buildings- Rs. 85,00,000
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the year 2018. It excludes the assets owned by his wife, dependents (minor), and HUF. My Neta
Abbas’ net worth for the financial year 2017-2018 was estimated to be Rs. 2,98,13,575. My Neta It excludes the net worth of his wife and dependents (minors).
On 29 January 2023, Kishore, while on his way to inaugurate a party’s office in Brajrajnagar, Jharsuguda district, Odisha, was shot by an Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) rank cop, Gopal Das. As Kishore stepped out of his car to meet his supporters near the Gandhi Chowk, Gopal fired at him multiple times with his service revolver. Kishore, who had gunshot wounds on the left side of his chest, was immediately airlifted to Apollo Hospital in Bhubaneswar, where he was given immediate treatment. After suffering from the injury for a few hours, Kishore was declared dead by the hospital officials. The statement released by the Apollo Hospital, specifying the reason behind his death, read,
On operating, it was found that a single bullet had entered and exited the body, injuring the heart and left lung and causing massive internal bleeding and injury. The injuries were repaired, and steps were taken to improve the pumping of the heart. He was given urgent ICU care. But despite the best of efforts, he could not be revived and succumbed to his injuries.”
Moment When Odisha Health Minister #NabaDas Shot. pic.twitter.com/jgBv3NrNPf
— Sandeep Panwar (@tweet_sandeep) January 29, 2023
However, Gopal’s motive behind Kishore’s assassination was not revealed by the police officials. Kishore Das was cremated with full state honours on 30 January 2023 at the Kherual village near Jharsuguda district in Odisha.
- Naba Kishore’s family was involved in the mining transportation business in the Jharsuguda and Sundargarh districts of Odisha.
- Naba was fond of reading historical books.
- Naba Kishore had a huge interest in possessing rifles, and he owned a revolver, a double-barrel gun, and a bore rifle. In an interview, Kishore talked about his curiosity about acquiring various rifles and revealed that while he was completing his graduation at Gangadhar Meher University, he obtained an all-India licence for revolvers.
- In 2012, Naba Kishore was appointed as a member of a few committees like the House Committee on Railways, the Library Committee, the Standing Committee on Industries, Steel & Mines, Commerce & Transport, and the House Committee on Linguistic Minorities.
- Naba Kishore was well-known for his cordial relationship with the 14th Chief Minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik.
- Naba was actively involved in lending financial support to various social causes. He often donated money to various charity organisations and temples. On 21 January 2023, as per some media sources, it was reported that Kishore donated an urn made of 1.7 kg gold and 5 kg silver worth Rs 1 crore to the Shani Mahagraha temple at Shingnapur, Ahmednagar district, Maharashtra. However, he regarded the rumours as baseless and claimed that he offered an urn filled with mustard oil and donated a sum of Rs 10 lakh to the temple. Odisha Bytes
- In an interview, Gopal Das’ wife, Jayanti Das, talked about her husband’s mental health and revealed that Gopal suffered from some mental disorder and was under treatment for the past eight years for his condition. She said,
I heard the news, then what I will say. How can I say why did he take this step? I haven’t spoken to him since morning. He spoke to my daughter on a video call at around 11 am today, but he disconnected suddenly. His mental condition was not good and he was taking medicines for the same. He was on medication for the last 8 years. He was behaving well after taking medicines.” The Print
However, as per some media sources, it was reported that Gopal Das suffered from bipolar disorder The Week, a medical health condition, which causes intense shifts in one’s mood, energy levels, and behaviour.