Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu is an Indian lawyer and politician who won the seat for Congress party from the Nadaun constituency in the Himachal Pradesh Assembly Elections. After Congress won seats in 40 out of 68 states, he was elected as the 15th Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh in 2022.
Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu was born on Friday, 27 March 1964 (age 59 years; as of 2023) in Sera village, Nadaun, Himachal Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Aries. He did his schooling at Government High School, Kasumpti, Shimla. He pursued a bachelor’s degree in law at Govt. Degree College, Sanjauli and a master’s degree in political science at Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla. My Neta He used to run a milk counter in Chhota Shimla when he was in college. According to his mother, he was inclined towards studies and worked hard even when he had to work at various places to mean money.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Salt and Pepper
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Sukvinder’s father’s name was Rashil Singh, who was a bus driver at Himachal Road Transport Corporation. His mother’s name is Sansar Dei, who is a homemaker.
Wife & Children
Sukhvinder is married to Kamlesh Thakur. They have two daughters, Ruhun, and Kamun.
Sukhvinder started his political career in college. He became an activist when he was at Himachal Pradesh University. Later, he joined the Congress’ student wing National Students’ Union of India. He remained the state president of NSUI from 1989 to 1995. He became the state president of the Indian National Youth Congress in 1998 and served in the position till 2008. He was the councillor of the municipal corporation of Shimla from 1992-1997. In 1997, he was re-elected as the councillor of the municipal corporation of Shimla and served in the position till 2002. In 2003, 2007, and 2017, he was elected to State Legislative Assembly. From 2007 to 2012, he was the Chief Whip of the Congress Legislature Party. In 2017, he was nominated as a member of the Public Undertakings, Privileges and Business Advisory Committees for the party. From 2013 to 2019, he served as the president of the Himachal Pradesh Congress Committee. In 2019, he was removed as the party’s president. In 2022, he stood in the Himachal Pradesh Assembly elections from the Nadaun constituency and won the seat. On 8 December 2022, he was selected as the CM candidate of the Congress party. He became the Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh on 11 December 2022 after taking the oath in presence of Rahul Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi.
- Cash Rs. 1,30,000
- Bank Deposits Rs. 10,00,000
- Jewellery Rs. 1,00,000
- Agricultural Land Rs. 22,51,250
- Non-Agricultural Land Rs. 1,39,000
- Commercial Buildings Rs. 1,00,00,000
Note: It excludes the net worth of his wife and dependents (minors).
- In 2017, Amit Shah commented on the Congress party and politics in Himachal Pradesh and referring to Sukhvinder said that the party would not give chance to a candidate from a non-political background and select a candidate from the already ruling background.
- In an interview, he talked about the struggles he faced for not being from a political background and said,
Yes, I had to struggle at every step for survival in politics. The elites and those with political backing find their way easily, even in electoral politics. But the hard work and loyalty to organisation paid me off. Congress president, Rahul Gandhi wants to bring the ordinary workers to the fore and that’s why he picked me up for the top job. I was elevated as state Congress president in 2013 even after I lost the Assembly poll. The fact that I rose from struggle, not ‘power driven politics’, is my strength.”
- He used to be in constant war with Virbharda because he was given chances by the party many times, and Sukhvinder was not considered the party. In an interview, he talked about Virbhadra and said,
Yes. But the Congress was not able to win successive elections earlier even when Virbhadraji was there. Yet, with the BJP in the saddle and in his absence, we won the recent byelections, one to the Lok Sabha [Mandi] and three Assembly segments. He [Virbhadra Singh] was undoubtedly a tall leader and has left his legacy. But our organisational strength and presence are good, have been good. That is one reason why the AAP has not been able to make a dent. People in the State are inclined towards the Congress for more than one reason.”
- In 2022, in an interview, he said that there was a possibility that he would receive the majority of votes from the Brahmin caste. In the interview, he talked about this and said,
Congress party is going to form government in a place which is a Hindu majority state, people have rejected BJP’s ideology. Due to the special strategy of Priyanka Gandhi, the BJP lost the election, the Gandhi family does not have a house anywhere in the country, but there is only one place i.e Himachal Pradesh, where Priyanka Gandhi owns a house.”
- Before becoming the Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh, he often drove his Maruti Suzuki Alto city car for years and earned the name ‘Alto Man’ in public and political circles in Shimla. On 14 March 2023, he even arrived in his Alto car to attend the budget session of the Himachal Pradesh assembly. The Hindu
- On 15 September 2023, Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu donated his lifetime savings of Rs. 51 lacs to the Aapda Rahat Kosh (Disaster Relief Fund) to contribute to aid in the recovery efforts and assist those who were affected in the 2023 North India floods. In an interview, he talked about this and mentioned that he donated the amount from his three savings accounts.
— TOI Cities (@TOICitiesNews) September 15, 2023