Alka Lamba is an Indian politician. She is the Member of the Legislative Assembly from the Chandni Chowk constituency of Delhi.
Alka Lamba was born on Monday, 1 September 1975 (age 44 years; as in 2019) in New Delhi. Her zodiac sign is Virgo. She did her schooling from Government Girls Senior Secondary School No. 1, Delhi. She did her BSc from Delhi University in 1996. She did her M.Sc (in 1998) & M.Ed. from Bundelkhand University.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Husband
She belongs to a Jaat family. Her father’s name is Amar Nath Lamba, and her mother’s name is Raj Kumari Lamba.
She was married to Lokesh Kapoor until 2003. She has a son named Hrithik Lamba.
She was rumoured to be in a relationship with Ashish Khetan.
Alka Lamba joined the National Students’ Union of India (NSUI) in 1994 and was appointed as the Delhi State Girl Convener. In 1995, she won Delhi University Students’ Union (DUSU) election for the post of President. In 1996, Alka Lamba was appointed as the All India Girl Convener for NSUI and was appointed as the President of all India NSUI in 1997. Alka became the General Secretary of All India Mahila Congress in 2002. In 2003, she contested the Delhi Assembly Elections from the Moti Nagar Constituency against the BJP leader Madan Lal Khurana and lost. In 2006, Lamba became a member of the All India Congress Committee (AICC) and was designated as the General Secretary of Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee (DPCC). In the same year, she was made the Vice Chairperson of National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development (NIPCCD). From 2007 to 2011, she served as the Secretary to the All India Congress Committee (AICC) at the Indian National Congress. Alka left INC in December 2014 and joined Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
She contested the Delhi Legislative Assembly Elections from Chandni Chowk constituency on Aam Aadmi Party’s ticket in 2015 and won by a margin of 18,287 votes. On 6 September 2019, she left AAP after many months of bitterness with the party. The same day, she joined Congress in the leadership of Sonia Gandhi.
In 2020, she contested the Delhi Assembly Elections from the Chandni Chowk seat on a Congress ticket and lost to AAP’s Parlad Singh Sawhney.
- In December 2018, AAP passed a resolution in Delhi Assembly to withdraw Bharat Ratna conferred on the former Prime Minister of India Rajiv Gandhi for his alleged role in the 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots. Alka posted the resolution on her social media account and alleged that the party had pressured her to support the resolution, and she had staged out. Thereafter, the party asked her to resign from the Delhi Assembly and primary membership of the party. Reportedly, they demanded her resignation because she had pressured them to support Rajiv Gandhi.
- In 2018, Lamba, along with other 19 AAP MLAs, was disqualified by the Election Commission of India in the ‘Office of Profit Case.’ President of India, Ram Nath Kovind also approved their disqualification. However, she moved her plea to the Delhi High Court challenging the verdict of Election Commission along with the other MLAs.
- In 2016, Alka Lamba went to meet the victim of the Guwahati Molestation Case during a packed press conference. Alka faced massive criticism for revealing the identity of the victim in media. After this, she was removed from the fact-finding team of the National Commission for Women (NCW).
- In 2015, she was charged with vandalism after she severely destroyed a liquor shop near the Kashmere Gate area of Old Delhi. The recorded CCTV footage showed that she was leading the attack and supervising her supporters to throw the things out. Reportedly, the owner of the shop was a BJP supporter and had refused the AAP workers to put their party’s posters on the windows of the shop.
C-39, Tagore Garden Extension, New Delhi-110027
Her salary as an MLA from Delhi is Rs. 6,24,000 (as in 2019) including allowances.
- She likes to write and travel.
- In 2003, Lokesh Kapoor (her former husband) alleged that Alka had occupied his house in Delhi’s Subhash Nagar illegally and had been using his house as her political office for the previous three years. He even claimed that Alka had been harassing him and his family ever since their marriage.
- In 2017, a fire broke out in the Chandni Chowk area of Delhi. To examine the fire rescue operation, Alka Lamba climbed the fire truck, which drew criticism from the public and political parties as her actions had delayed the process of rescue operations.
- In 2016, she alleged that the Chief Minister of Delhi Arvind Kejriwal had stopped the installation of CCTV cameras in her constituency, and thus, led a protest in front of his residence.
- In 2016, she gave a statement against the former Delhi Transport Minister Gopal Roy, because of which, she was suspended from the post of National spokesperson of AAP. In her statement, she claimed that Gopal Roy had resigned from the party so that the trouble-free inquiry of corruption case could be carried out in Roy’s department and she had related his resignation to a corruption act. In contradiction to her statement, Gopal Roy had proclaimed that he had resigned from his post only due to health issues.
- She runs an NGO called ‘Go India Foundation,’ which aims to empower women and youth, encouraging them to take part in the political, social, and economic development of India. The NGO came into focus in 2015, when 65,000 people donated blood on a single day through the NGO. The campaign was promoted by the famous Bollywood personalities like Salman Khan, Ritesh Deshmukh, Aamir Khan, Dia Mirza including the Russian Ambassador to India Alexander Kadakin.
- In 2018, she won the MLA of the Year Award by Dainik Prayukti.
- She has visited the UK, Russia, the US, China, and Venezuela to attend seminars and give speeches about women’s empowerment, human rights and sustainable development in third-world nations.
- On 6 November 2019, she declared her resignation from the primary membership of AAP through her Twitter account and also urged Arvind Kejriwal to accept her resignation.