Sudhir Mishra is an Indian theatre artist, film director, and screenwriter. He is known for directing the Hindi films ‘Dharavi’ (1992), ‘Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi’ (2003), and ‘Chameli’ (2004). He is the recipient of the National Awards for the Hindi films ‘Main Zinda Hoon’ (1988) and ‘Dharavi’ (1992).
Sudhir Mishra aka Sudhir Bhai Mishra was born on Thursday, 22 January 1959 (age 64 years; as of 2023) in Nagpur, Maharashtra and brought up by his parents in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India. His zodiac sign is Aquarius.
Later, he pursued his graduation and post-graduation in Psychology at Delhi University, New Delhi. YouTube – Sansad TV YouTube – Sansad TV
Height (approx.): 6′ 3″
Hair Colour: Grey
Eye Colour: Black
Sudhir belongs to a Hindu Brahmin family.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Devendra Nath Mishra, was a mathematician, author, and founding member of the Lucknow Film Society. His mother’s name is Durga Devendernath Mishra. He is the eldest among his two siblings; a brother and a sister. His younger brother, Sudhanshu Mishra, was a filmmaker.
Wife & Children
In 1978, he got married to the Indian actress Sushmita Mukherjee. After a few years of their marriage, the couple got divorced.
In 1988, Sudhir got married to the Indian film editor Renu Saluja, who was earlier married to the Indian film director Vidhu Vinod Chopra. However, in 2000, Renu died of cancer.
Sudhir’s grandfather, Dwarka Prasad Mishra, was an Indian politician who served as the fourth Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh.
He was once rumoured to be in a relationship with the Indian actress Chitrangada Singh. It was also said that he was the reason behind the divorce of Chitrangada Singh and her ex-husband Jyoti Randhawa (a golf player). Amar Ujala
He started his career as a theatre artist under the guidance of the Indian theatre dramatist Badal Sircar. After acting in a few theatre plays, he started writing theatre plays. He gained immense popularity as a theatre director. He has conducted various acting & direction classes at Indian Film & Television Directors’ Association, Mumbai.
In 1983, he made his Bollywood debut as a screenwriter with the film ‘Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron.’
He made his directorial debut with the 1987 Hindi film ‘Yeh Woh Manzil To Nahin.’ Some of his other popular Hindi films as a director and screenwriter are ‘Dharavi’ (1991), ‘Chameli’ (2004), ‘Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi’ (2005), ‘Yeh Saali Zindagi’ (2011), and ‘Daas Dev’ (2018).
He made his acting debut with the 1985 film ‘Khamosh’ in which he played a cameo role.
He did cameo roles in a few other Hindi films like ‘Traffic Signal’ (2007) and ‘Raat Gayi, Baat Gayi?’ (2010).
Sudhir has worked as a director and screenwriter in a few Hindi short films like ‘Kirchiyaan’ (2013) and ‘Life Support’ (2017).
In 1996, he made his TV debut as a director with the Hindi TV serial ’17 Sherly Road,’ which aired on Zee TV.
He has directed a few other Hindi TV serials like ‘Chhapte Chhapte’ (1985) and ‘Nyay’ (1999), which aired on Doordarshan.
In 2019, Sudhir made his web series debut as a director with the Disney+ Hotstar series ‘Hostages.’
He has also directed the 2022 web series ‘Tanaav,’ which streamed on SonyLIV.
- 1987: Indira Gandhi Award for Best Debut Film of a Director for the Hindi film Yeh Woh Manzil To Nahin
- 1988: National Film Award for Best Film on Other Social Issues for the Hindi film Main Zinda Hoon
- 1991: National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Hindi for Dharavi
- 1992: Award of the City of Nantes for the Hindi films Dharavi and Tied with The Need at Nantes Three Continents Festival
- 2006: Filmfare Best Story Award for the Hindi film Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi
- 2010: Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the French Government
- 2016: Yash Bharti Award by the Government of Uttar Pradesh
- 2021: Jury Award for Best Story in a Digital Film Serious Men by WM Digital Awards
- 2021: Indian Telly Streaming Award for Best Director Digital First Series
- In childhood, he used to accompany his father to watch films and theatre plays, and from there he developed an interest in Hindi films.
- After acting in a few theatre plays in his college, he realised that instead of acting, film direction was his interest.
- In an interview, he shared how he made his debut in Bollywood. He said,
My friend Vinod Dua was interviewing Vidhu Vinod Chopra for Doordarshan and asked me to ask Vinod questions as I knew about films. Vinod, seeing my knowledge about films, asked me to come to Mumbai. He was at that time making his first film and I asked him, ‘What will I do’? He said, ‘Learn to hold the boom’. I went to Mumbai and met this liberal bunch of people Kundan Shah, Ketan Mehta, Javed Akhtar and Shekhar Kapur who became my family. Kundan would come to my house where he started writing Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro and I started co-writing the script with him.”
- He once shared that after his wife’s demise, he was so depressed that he even thought of committing suicide. The Times of India
- After working in theatres under the guidance of Indian theatre artist Badal Sircar, Sudhir moved to Pune from Delhi. In Pune, his brother was a student at the Film and Television Institute of India. Sudhir then started learning about acting and films from his brother.
- In 2014, he was fined by the Chandigarh Police for smoking in public places. YouTube – ABP Sanjha
- In 2020, amid the COVID-19 lockdown in India, a video went viral on social media in which a few policemen were seen beating a man (who looked like Sudhir Mishra) for breaking the quarantine guidelines. The netizens heavily trolled Sudhir for this. However, Sudhir then clarified that the man in the video was not him. Koimoi He tweeted,
I am quite amused that people think I would take a beating without reacting . Every tall white haired guy is not me . What shocks me is that the glee of the troll brigade . How sick ! Whoever that coward who takes a beating like that , it ain’t me , sickos ! Get a life !”
- Sudhir Mishra is well-versed in various languages like Hindi, English, and Urdu.
- He is an avid dog lover and often posts pictures with dogs.
- From the age of 45, he daily practices yoga for around one and a half hours.