Payal Ghosh was born on Monday, 13 November 1989 (age 31 years; as of 2020), and she hails from Kolkata, West Bengal. She did her schooling from St. Paul’s Mission School, Kolkata, and then went on to pursue Bachelor of Arts Hons. Political Science from Scottish Church College, Kolkata. Later, she pursued a Diploma in fashion technology. The Hindu Around 2007, she moved from Kolkata to Mumbai to pursue a career in acting. She also pursued acting course from Kishore Namit Kapoor Acting Institute, Mumbai.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Medium Golden Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste/Ethnicity
Parents & Siblings
Relationships, Husband & Children
Not much is known about her relationships.
In 2008, she accompanied one of her friends to an audition for the British Telefilm ‘Sharpe’s Peril’ and secured a part in the movie for herself. She played the role of a village girl, the daughter of a revolutionary freedom fighter from Bengal.
While pursuing an acting course from Kishore Namit Kapoor Acting Institute, she crossed paths with Chandrasekhar Yeleti who was auditioning for the leading actress in the movie Prayanam. In 2009, Payal made her Tollywood debut with the movie Prayanam in which she played the role of Harika.
Her other Telugu movies include Oosaravelli (2011) and Mr. Rascal (2011).
In 2010, Payal Ghosh made her debut in the Kannada Film Industry with the movie Varshadhaare in which she played the role of Mythili.
In 2014, Payal Ghosh made a debut in the Tamil film industry with the movie Therodum Veedhiyile in which she played the role of Pavalakodi.
- Mumbai City Icon Award (2018) in the category of Promising debut in the entertainment industry.
- Times Leading Icon Award (2019)
- Icon of the Year Award (2019)
- Aspiring she magazine award (2020) for the ‘Most fascinating face of the year’
In September 2020, Payal Ghosh accused Anurag Kashyap, a famous Bollywood director, of sexual harassment. Reportedly, in 2013, Payal visited Anurag’s house in Versova, Mumbai where the alleged incident took place. While giving Payal a house tour, Anurag Kashyap suddenly stripped naked in front of the actress and molested her. In an interview with The Times of India, she also claimed that Kashyap told her that Bollywood actresses like Huma Qureshi, Richa Chadda, and Mahie Gill often indulged in such sexual encounters with him. Payal politely refused the offer, gave an excuse of unwellness, and left the house immediately. The Times of India Anurag Kashyap, through a series of tweets, dismissed the sexual assault allegations, pursued the matter legally, and provided documents as evidence to prove that he was filming in Sri Lanka at the time when the alleged incident took place in Mumbai. In October 2020, Bollywood celebrity Richa Chadha filed a defamation suit against Payal Ghosh in the Bombay High Court for unnecessarily dragging Chadha’s name into the allegations against Kashyap. Live Law
- Payal was a frequent smoker. In February 2019, Payal quit smoking and began to practice yoga for her upcoming movies. It was her yoga trainer who advised her to quit smoking. News Karnataka
- During her teenage days, Payal actively took part in extra-curricular activities like stage shows and dramas, and she was widely appreciated for her performances. She belonged to a conservative family, and her father was against her desire to become an actress. At the age of 17, she ran away from Kolkata to Mumbai to pursue her childhood dream to become an actress. After moving to Mumbai, she lived at her eldest sister’s house for a while and worked as a model in a few advertisements of Tata Indicom and Docomo.
- On 26 October 2020, Payal joined the Republican Party of India (Athawale), led by the Union Minister Ramdas Athawale. Reportedly, she was also named as the vice president of the party’s women’s wing. While welcoming Ms. Ghosh into the party, Athawale said,
I told her RPI(A) is Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar’s party. It helps all sections of society, be it Dalits, Adivasis, OBCs, villagers, slum dwellers. The RPI will get a good face if you join the party. After I discussed this with her, she was ready to join the party.”