Mahesh Vaman Manjrekar is an Indian actor, director, screenwriter, and producer. He is best known for playing the role of Raj Yadav/Baali in the Bollywood film “Kaante” (2002).
Mahesh Manjrekar was born on Saturday, 16 August 1958 (age 65 years; as of 2023) in Mumbai. His zodiac sign is Leo. He did his schooling from Mumbai’s Don Bosco High School and went to the University of Mumbai to pursue his graduation. He was inclined towards acting from a young age. Manjrekar started doing theatre when he was in college. He started his career in acting with the much-acclaimed Marathi play, Aflatoon, in the year 1984. He received immense appreciation for his performance in the play. Subsequently, he did plays like “All the Best,” “Dhyanimani,” and “Gidhade.”
Height (approx.): 5’ 10”
Weight (approx.): 75 kg
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper
Eye Colour: Brown
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest 40″ Waist 33″ Biceps 12″
Family, Caste & Wife
Mahesh Manjrekar belongs to a Hindu Family. Not much is known about his parents. He has a brother, Shailesh Manjrekar, and a sister, Devyani Manjrekar. Mahesh Manjrekar met Deepa Mehta, a costume designer, in his college days and started dating her. The duo got married to each other after a courtship of a few years. The couple parted ways after a few years of their marriage. They have a son named Satya Manjrekar (Actor) and a daughter named Ashwami Manjrekar (Film Producer, Chef).
After separating from Deepa, Mahesh tied the knot with the Marathi actress, Medha Manjrekar. He has a daughter, Saiee Manjrekar (actress) and a step-daughter, Gauri Ingawale (actress), who is Medha’s daughter from her first husband.
Acting & Direction Career
Mahesh Manjrekar started his acting career in 1992 with the Marathi Film “Jeeva Sakha” in which he played the role of ‘Inspector Jamdade.’ Mahesh made his debut in the Hindi Film Industry with the film “Vaastav: The Reality” and thereafter did many Hindi films including “Plan,” “Musafir,” “Zinda,” and “Dus Kahaniyaan.”
As a director, he is credited for films like “Aai” (1995), “Vaastav: The Reality” (1999), “Nidaan” (2000), “Astitva” (2000), and “Viruddh” (2005). He has also tried his hands in singing and has lent his voice to several songs from films like ‘Kaante’ (2002), ‘City of Gold- Mumbai 1982: Ek Ankahee Kahani’ (2010), etc. In 2006, he participated in the dance reality show “Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa” season 1 and became the second runner-up of the show.
He was also a part of the Hollywood Oscar-winning film ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ (2008). Manjrekar has made a special appearance in the film “Sanju.” Mahesh has even featured in the Netflix’s series “Selection Day” in which he has played the role of Tommy Sir, a cricket coach.
In 2018, he hosted the first season of the reality TV show “Big Boss Marathi.”
Mahesh Manjrekar made his debut in politics in 2014 with the Lok Sabha elections. He contested the 2014 elections as a part of the Raj Thackeray-led MNS (Maharashtra Navnirman Sena) from the Mumbai North-West Constituency; however, he lost to Gajanan Kirtikar of Shiv Sena.
- In 2002, Manjrekar told the police that he had spoken to the underworld along with Sanjay Dutt, Sanjay Gupta, and Harish Sughand from a hotel in Nashik. However, he denied speaking to anyone once he appeared in court.
- In May 2013, the poster of Mahesh Manjrekar’s Marathi film “Kokanastha” attracted criticism. The poster showed the actor Sachin Khedekar dressed as an RSS Swayamsewak with a tag line: Taath Kana, Haach Baana (A straight spine is our character) and people called it “Brahmin Supremacist.” Later, Mahesh rubbished all the claims of supremacism and said,
I’m making a movie in a free country in keeping with the law. I can’t go around seeking approval for the poster. People are entitled to their views as I am to mine.”
- Manjrekar has also faced criticism in the Marathi Film Industry for supporting some actors.
- Sport: Cricket
- Colour: Black
- His hobbies include dancing and writing.
- Mahesh loves to play cricket. He has played cricket a lot in his childhood. In fact, he had played under Sachin Tendulkar‘s coach, Ramakant Achrekar.
- In 2000, Mahesh organised a free screening of the film “Astitva” for the women. At that time, he didn’t expect many people in the theatre, but the result was overwhelming and so many women attended the screening of the film that his team had to call the police to manage the crowd.
- His film “Astitva” was a huge hit and earned him a National Film Award for the Best Regional Film in 2001.
- During an interview, Mahesh revealed that Salman Khan was his only friend in Bollywood.
- Manjrekar, during an interview, said that although Sanju was a commercial success, it was lacking as a biopic. He further added that had the film been directed by him, it would have justified the biopic of Sanjay Dutt in a different way.
- In a career spanning over two decades, Manjrekar has acted in over 75 films across all major film industries in the country. He has also written and directed more than 25 films in the Hindi and Marathi cinema.